Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [2]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.86
WE:Analyst (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Re: Teachers over age 35 are less motivated in their teaching an [#permalink]
I hope this helps.

The first boldface plays a role in supporting the second premise- Until recently, this phenomenon was understood as resulting from a reduced level of energy due to aging and the demands of raising a family- by stating that new teachers over age 35 are as motivated in their teaching and likely to form strong bonds with their students as younger teachers are. Thus, this counters the first sentence of this argument but strengthens the second sentence of the argument.

The second boldface is actually the conclusion of this argument. It uses the second premise which the first boldface supports for the conclusion.

Therefore, answer choice (E) is correct.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32864 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Guys this post is a mess, sincerely speaking.

Please follow strictly the rules for posting in Verbal section.

As BB say: the rules are there to be follow

As far as I see the same users instead of editiding the original post have done another post with the right bold part of the question a second time, then narim has merged the topic.

Now all this is locked.

regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
2013gmat wrote:
Teachers over age 35 are less motivated in their teaching and less likely to form strong bonds with their students than are younger teachers. Until recently, this phenomenon was understood as resulting from a reduced level of energy due to aging and the demands of raising a family. However, a study published last year showed that new teachers entering the field of education over age 35 tend to have comparable levels of motivation and bonding as do younger teachers. Since by the age of 35 most teachers have been teaching for five to ten years already, these studies suggest that teachers over 35 aren't as good in this regard because several years of teaching have caused them to burn out.

In the argument given, the two selections in boldface play which of the following roles?

a)The first is a claim, the accuracy of which is disputed in the argument; the second is evidence brought to dispute the argument.

b)The first is an objection raised against a claim made in the argument; the second is that claim

c)The first is evidence used to support an interpretation that is later challenged in the argument; the second is that interpretation

d)The first is evidence used to support an interpretation that later gets challenged in the argument; the second is an alternative interpretation put forth by the argument.

e)The first provides evidence to support an interpretation endorsed by the argument; the second is that interpretation.

Plz explain the reasoning.

Hi,

Let's start with the conclusion of the argument..What exactly does the argument wants us to believe.

There's a phenomenon being talked about(The teachers over 35 being less interested ).The argument is about the reason behind this phenomenon.
Until now the belief was that a reduced level of energy due to aging and the demands of raising a family led to the phenomenon(Teachers less interested.)

Now the first bold statement actually refutes the aging factor and the second bold statement provides the alternate explanation(Years of teaching burns them out) for the phenomenon(Teachers less interested).

E is in lines with our pre thinking.
The second statement is infact an interpretation which the argument endorses and the first one act as an evidence by refuting the previous belief.

Hope it helps
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts