Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3118 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Re: Just for fun - rank your top 7 schools by preference! [#permalink]
Here is my ranking. It is going to be based on an Indian perspective, schools which are more tech/engineering/Indian friendly plus which offer great career opportunities and are not super expensive).

1.) Stanford (Dhirubhai Ambani Scholarship)
2.) MIT (45% International Students)
3.) Booth (Prefers Quantitative Background).
4.) Kellogg (Pretty big name in India at par with HBS/Stanford)
5.) Tuck (A very down to earth school).
6.) Haas (An under rated school, very low acceptance rates).
----------
7.) UCLA (A great combination of tech and finance).
7.) Darden (The most hectic case method school, better than Duke).
7.) Cornell (Ivy League Brand, proximity to NYU).
7.) Yale (proximity to NYU, yet low cost of living).
-------------
School excluded even these are otherwise as good as the above mentioned.
HBS, Wharton - Unless you are an Indian working in McKinsey you have very little chance. I heard that in a particular year HBS took only 17 Indians in a class of 800.
Columbia, NYU - Super expensive, Columbia doesnot offer loans without US Cosigner. NYU not as reputed as Chicago Booth.
Ross, Duke - Location disadvantage leading to respectively fewer career opportunities, yet costs are very similar to Top M7 schools. Brand less known outside USA.
LBS/INSEAD - Difficult for Asians to land a job in the locations where these schools are located. Effect more pronounced after Eurozone Crisis.
IE/IESE/Oxbridge - Very tough to land jobs post graduation.
---------
Underdog
Emory - With a class size of 150 and fewer big competetiors around offers great opportunities. Very generous with scholarship.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [5]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
1. Tuck
2. Tuck
3. Tuck
4. Tuck
5. Tuck
6. Tuck
7. Stanford, Booth, Kellogg, Ross, Darden (the other schools I actually applied to, in preference order).

I thank my lucky stars daily that I'm a Tuckie. I don't regret passing up other offers. Home is home.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Send PM
1. HBS - It is HBS and you have that forever.
2. Stanford GSB - Would rather be here than HBS, but beautiful weather, amazing program, great life
3. Kellogg - Just love the school and its focus on collaboration. Chicago area is frigid, but what a city.
4. Sloan - Janitor's are geniuses there...enough said.
5. Booth - Chicago again, its ranking, the fun of living downtown at MPP with all my classmates
6. LBS - The campus is beautiful, its in London!!!!, prestige!...if it was an option I would've applied, but I gotta stay local. If one of these schools let me in, it's a study abroad target for sure!
7. Wharton - The brand. Everybody says HBS and Stanford head to head...and I believe it. They are the most prestigious amongst us informed folks/MBA experts and to much of the business world...but to me, the Wharton brand is much stronger across the globe and with outsiders than Stanford GSB. I mean I hear characters in TV shows and movies who are made to be business leaders who went to wharton or hbs...never heard anybody say hes a stanford mba...just an example of what the world thinks of the brands.

My honorable mention #8:
8. Tuck - This place is the bomb! I loved loved loved it, but its #7 b/c its in Hanover...but if it wasn't in Hanover, it wouldn't be the same. So it's really #7 b/c I don't know about Hanover.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
It's funny looking at my list how there are just some schools that never really got onto my radar. Like Booth for example, I've heard great things about it and people seem to love it, but for some reason it never interested me. I've always been a tad quick to latch onto things and consider nothing else though. For years I refused to take advil because tylenol was "just better". Yeah no reason for thinking that.

1) HBS - I ended up not applying because I already had too many reaches and honestly I just don't think I would fit here. I like case method, in some situations, not the majority of the time. Also, class participation is a huge portion of your grade, I just don't want to feel stressed on a daily basis that I'm not contributing enough. But like others have said, it's one of those places that you just can't say no to.
2) Wharton - I actually love philly, I really do. Also I really felt like I could see myself there when I visited, which surprised me for some reason I had a negative viewpoint on what the students would be like, but I found the marketing class I visited to be laid back and fun. Plus all the companies I want to work for recruit there.
3) Kellogg - I really liked the vibe I got from the students and the class I visited, it's the best for marketing, and man would I love to go on a kwest trip, ha! Plus their joint ventures club seems really strong.
4) Columbia - It took me awhile to come around to CBS, did not have a great visit when I went. But I'm from NYC area and plan to stay here so I think the network in the area is great to have. Plus there are just so many opportunities (like internships or projects) that you can take advantage of during the school year because of NYC. Also some of the CBS follies videos I've been watching are pretty comical.
5) Duke - Absolutely loved Fuqua and still do. I really don't think Team Fuqua is a marketing ploy, you can feel it when you visit. Have really had a great experience in all of my interactions with the school. Am still sad not to be going there.
6) Stern - Similar reasons to CBS. Got a good vibe from the school when I visited. They certainly have a better building than CBS. Why oh why couldn't the new CBS building be ready a few years earlier.
7) Cornell - I never visited Johnson since I pulled my application once I got into Duke. But a friend of mine went there and loved it. I like the experiential learning focus and seemed like they have a good marketing program. At the end of the day I just wasn't feeling moving all the way up north to Ithaca. If I'm going to move to the even colder than NYC, I'd prefer to be near a city (ala Kellogg).

Really though, I imagine if I got into Tuck or Booth I would put them somewhere around 5. Went to college in California, I'm an east coast girl at heart, so no interest in Stanford or Haas. Don't think I'd fit in at MIT. There are just so many other great schools Yale, Ross, etc. how to choose how to chose!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
bumping this thread back up for this year's class.

My last list is pretty accurate - lets see what you guys have!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
of the schools where I've applied:

1) Sloan
2) Booth
3) Tuck
4) Kellogg

Of the schools where I'm only thinking about applying and will only apply in R2 if things don't work out in R1:

5) Haas
6) Fuqua
7) Johnson

For me, Sloan is far and away my top choice. My schools at 2-4 on my list are very close together and change every couple of days based on the latest thing I've learned about each of them.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Get ready for a really long list. Of the schools I'm applying to... (Wait, I wouldn't even have a top 4 list! :P)

1. Stanford
2. Sloan
3. Kellogg

If I don't get in this year (which is highly probable, considering the schools I applied to), I'll expand my list. I'm not sure which schools I'd add, though. I don't think I fit in with the culture at HBS, Booth, or Wharton. Beyond that, I don't find any other school more appealing than UT because it's close to home and significantly less expensive (in-state tuition!). I also like O&G and would like to stay in Texas, so the network and opportunities would be highly useful.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3118 [1]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
You gave me a heart attack man.. Salman Khan.. HBS.. Then I googled him... Heart rate back to normal...
souvik101990 wrote:
Ahh I am way too inexperienced to even write here
But I will take a dig and probably change it later
1. Stanford - tech and Stan go hand in hand.
2. HBS - The generalist mentality and because Salman Khan went there. Also has a great wine and cuisine "society". :P
3. Sloan - Nerd/Tech reasons.
4. Yale - Education/Tech focus and fit, one of the best brandnames in India/Asia.
5. Booth - India friendly and Flexible curriculam. I know 2-3 awesome alumni there who seem to love the place more than the top dogs.
6. Tuck - The close knit Tuck family, same alumni reason as for Booth.
7. Johnson - Again great international brandname, lovely location and a holistically great program.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
1. UChicago
2. Columbia
3. Tuck
4. Johnson
5. Anderson
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
My list is also quite personal:

1) Tuck - I love the view of leadership, the small classes and New Hampshire
2) Darden - Great campus, totally enjoyed the class I was in, and close to the Shenandoah Valley
3) Stanford - Their new CS/MBA joint degree is appealing - though I'd need to take the GRE
4) Tepper - Even smaller program than Tuck / Darden / Stanford, and great courses I could do outside of Tepper at CMU
5) Yale - A lot of graduates choose NGOs - I guess that tells something about the values at the school, too
6) McCombs - Strong in (renewable) energy and technology
7) Fuqua - a great school, but not that great location
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Planning to transition from finance to Management Consulting.

1) Kellogg (R2) - Top school for consulting, I love the collaborative culture. I went to a cut-throat undergrad program (Stern), and looking to avoid those type of people. KWEST seems like a great way to meet people also. Really don't want to deal with Chicago winters, but I would for Kellogg.
2) Booth (R2) - Highest ranked school I applied to, also does great in consulting despite being known as finance, but I think the culture is a bit worse.
3) Columbia (Rejected after interview) - Very expensive and bad student body, but I currently live in NYC so it would've been easiest. Think I'm ready for a change anyways, kinda glad I got rejected.
4) UCLA (Accepted) - Love southern california and the culture seems awesome. Plus, gave me a 40% scholarship. That said, consulting recruiting isn't very strong.
5) Duke (R2) - Only considering this if they give me a substantial scholarship. Recruiting is not much better than UCLA and much lower than my top 3. Would rather live in LA than North Carolina. Still, has a very awesome culture which is why I applied.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.26
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Just for fun - rank your top 7 schools by preference! [#permalink]
1. Columbia
2. Tuck, Sloan, Booth
5. Johnson, LBS
7. Tepper

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by pate13 on 30 Jan 2015, 17:32.
Last edited by pate13 on 23 Dec 2015, 13:10, edited 2 times in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.2
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail)
Send PM
Here is my list.. Quite personal and a bit biased.

1. Yale
2. Stanford
3. Tuck
4. Darden
4. Cornell
6. Duke
7. MIT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Stanford
HBS
Booth
Wharton
Tuck
MIT
Columbia
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
1. Stanford GSB
2. MIT Sloan
3. Kellogg
4. CBS
5. UMich Ross/Tuck (tie)
6. Cornell Johnson
7. CMU Tepper
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GPA: 3.09
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
1. HBS
2. Kellogg
3. CBS
4. Tuck
5. Haas
6. CBS
7. Wharton
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE:Brand Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Here are mine:

LBS
HBS
INSEAD
Cambridge
Wharton
Stern
Columbia
GMAT Club Bot