Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.89
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink]
Kudos
kartelite wrote:
Assuming everyone who applied to Stanford also applied to HBS, the very high yields at both schools would imply that most people admitted to one were rejected at the other. Regardless, as only 100 or so people a year turn down HBS (and many fewer Stanford), the vast majority of people attending Stanford were not accepted at HBS (either rejected/waitlisted, or did not apply - my guess is most are the former). Although, the conditional probability of acceptance at Stanford is I'm sure lower after an HBS rejection.

So, based on GMATClub's stats on the forum (doesn't seem to conform to the numbers from the schools, but this is all purely hypothetical anyways),

Latest class for HBS had 1029 admitted for a class size of 919, so so 110 people chose not to attend HBS. Assume 100 of these people had chosen to go to GSB.

Latest class for GSB had 474 admitted for a class of 398, so 76 people chose not to attend GSB. Assume 65 of these people chose to go to HBS.

So every year, for a class of about 475 admits, you have only about 165 people who got into both HBS and GSB. The probability of an applicant who will only get into only GSB, as opposed to both HBS and GSB is actually higher (no, this says nothing about conditional probability).

Actually after I typed this out I don't actually feel like any of these mean anything. But it's great fun to read the tea leaves and obsess over stats since there's not much else we can do at this point for people who are just waiting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
feniris wrote:
kartelite wrote:
Assuming everyone who applied to Stanford also applied to HBS, the very high yields at both schools would imply that most people admitted to one were rejected at the other. Regardless, as only 100 or so people a year turn down HBS (and many fewer Stanford), the vast majority of people attending Stanford were not accepted at HBS (either rejected/waitlisted, or did not apply - my guess is most are the former). Although, the conditional probability of acceptance at Stanford is I'm sure lower after an HBS rejection.

So, based on GMATClub's stats on the forum (doesn't seem to conform to the numbers from the schools, but this is all purely hypothetical anyways),

Latest class for HBS had 1029 admitted for a class size of 919, so so 110 people chose not to attend HBS. Assume 100 of these people had chosen to go to GSB.

Latest class for GSB had 474 admitted for a class of 398, so 76 people chose not to attend GSB. Assume 65 of these people chose to go to HBS.

So every year, for a class of about 475 admits, you have only about 165 people who got into both HBS and GSB. The probability of an applicant who will only get into only GSB, as opposed to both HBS and GSB is actually higher (no, this says nothing about conditional probability).

Actually after I typed this out I don't actually feel like any of these mean anything. But it's great fun to read the tea leaves and obsess over stats since there's not much else we can do at this point for people who are just waiting.

This is very interesting to read.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
Has anyone else had moments where they've kicked themselves and said "If only I'd thought of this one other sentence / other way of putting it, my essay would be stronger?" This has happened to me at least twice since I sent in my app, and though I think the essays are still strong, I hate feeling like I may fall in the margin-of-error group that you can't afford to fall into for a school like Stanford.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
No I never had those kinda moments because I tried to forget about my application completely...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GPA: 3.66
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
no moment where i wished to change an essay line. but i did discover 3 days after i submitted my HBS app that i had a massive error on my resume (i copy/pasted one activity description for another intending to change it afterwards but never did). i was really upset and fixed it for my stanford and wharton apps.
i choose to believe my HBS ding was due to that error!

btw, the cross yield analysis posted above is really interesting. it makes me feel better that >50% of the GSB class didn't get into HBS!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
finished with my round 1 apps, and just starting my Stanford app for round 2. Any advice from those of you who've already applied?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
hey, can't help but just logged in my stanford app, found out my status is still" submitted"- how about your guys? My wharton status changed to "completed" within two days after I submitted..
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
lostkiki wrote:
hey, can't help but just logged in my stanford app, found out my status is still" submitted"- how about your guys? My wharton status changed to "completed" within two days after I submitted..

Yeah, the same with Wharton and Stanford. Kind of frustrated...
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
ElGrampo wrote:
Has anyone else had moments where they've kicked themselves and said "If only I'd thought of this one other sentence / other way of putting it, my essay would be stronger?" This has happened to me at least twice since I sent in my app, and though I think the essays are still strong, I hate feeling like I may fall in the margin-of-error group that you can't afford to fall into for a school like Stanford.

Ugh yes all the time!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
GPA: 3.89
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
ElGrampo wrote:

Well, when you have thoughts like this, keep in mind that essays can be overcrafted. That is, you don't actually know if your change will make a difference to your essay. And even if it does, you wouldn't know if it's for better or worse. Unless you have real structural problems with your essays, which shouldn't be the case for you Round 1 earlybirds. So don't fret about a sentence or two.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
WE:Other (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Anyone know how the interview invites tend to be sent you? The email from GSB said they send them out "every day", but I was curious if people remember from last year if there were specific clusters during any part of the interview window. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
boulderbiker wrote:
Anyone know how the interview invites tend to be sent you? The email from GSB said they send them out "every day", but I was curious if people remember from last year if there were specific clusters during any part of the interview window. Thanks!

Based on last years thread it looks like it was pretty random and more to do with when they managed to find an interviewer in/near your location. I doubt it will be any different this year except people will be checking their email for a much shorter window!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
the hbs and wharton threads are exploding with activity as R1 interviews have come out! i'm so nervous about the gsb - the calm before the storm! is there method to the one month long rolling madness? :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
grit wrote:
the hbs and wharton threads are exploding with activity as R1 interviews have come out! i'm so nervous about the gsb - the calm before the storm! is there method to the one month long rolling madness? :)

Yeah, I'd say engage in some activity like sports/workout. Else checking the emails, you might be under severe OCD :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GPA: 3.66
i'm grateful to tptb for narrowing the interview window this year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
everybody dance now
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools: IMD '16 (S)
Send PM
Hi
Anyone receive an interview Invite for 2014 Round 1,yet?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  63   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts