Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Accounting, Economics
GMAT Date: 04-17-2014
WE:Research (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: Fall 2014 applicants: Building your Ph D Applications [#permalink]
Count me in!

I have applied at:

W/H
INSEAD
NYU Stern
Tepper

By the way (I also posted this as a separate topic so sorry for reposting) but anyone has an idea whether the 3-year degree equivalence is a deal-breaker for PhD admissions? I got following reply from Ross... obviously, I am now skeptical about applying there

"Thank you for your interest in the Ph.D. Program in Business Administration at the Stephen M. Ross School of Business. The university's rule about the bachelor's degree stands, regardless of a Master's degree. Let us know if you have any additional questions."

India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal
Degree Required

Completion of a University four-year Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Technology, or Medicine
Completion of a Master’s degree in all other fields
Holders of a three-year Bachelor’s degree are not considered eligible for graduate study at the Rackham Graduate School

(Link: https://www.rackham.umich.edu/prospectiv ... south-asia)

So I guess getting explicit clarifications from the university graduate schools is the best way forward. AFAIK, if credentials are good enough for MBA admission, they are good enough for PhD admission (from the administrative point of view)

Any comments? Anyone else with a similar experience??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Danger, sounds like there are some rules that can be bent and but that the 3 yr degree isn't one that can be bent for Ross. It seem unusual that only one school has that requirement. I think it's unusual that rule can't be bent especially if you have a 760 GMAT (from your profile).

Also, I was told that the admission requirements for a PhD are often significantly tougher than those for a MBA, depending upon the school of course, but I haven't spent any time researching MBA programs.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Danger, sounds like there are some rules that can be bent and but that the 3 yr degree isn't one that can be bent for Ross. It seem unusual that only one school has that requirement. I think it's unusual that rule can't be bent especially if you have a 760 GMAT (from your profile).

Also, I was told that the admission requirements for a PhD are often significantly tougher than those for a MBA, depending upon the school of course, but I haven't spent any time researching MBA programs.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jeffduytschaver wrote:

Good luck!

jeffduytschaver

Indeed. I was under the impression that a 3 year bachelors and a 2 year masters (MBA in my case) should suffice. Moreover, WES has rated my 3 year bachelors degree to be equivalent to US bachelor. :? I guess Ross wants to be extra careful for whatever reasons! :? :?

Anyway, I checked the FAQs for international applicants for other business schools. Thankfully they are more considerate. Wharton and Harvard graduate schools consider a 3 year bachelor degree as equivalent to the US bachelors degree. :-D :-D

"There are a number of universities around the world that offer three-year undergraduate programs. If you received a bachelor's degree upon completion of one of these undergraduate programs, you are eligible to apply to Wharton's doctoral programs. "
(Link: https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/doctoral/a ... udents.cfm)

This one is from Harvard Graduate School: "Applicants from institutions outside of the US; applicants must hold the equivalent of US bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) from institutions of recognized standing (either a three or four year undergraduate degree)."
(Link: https://www.gsas.harvard.edu/prospective ... ements.php)

As an extra precaution, I have also shot off emails to the graduate admission offices of universities where I intend to apply. Hoping for a more positive response.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

Just wanted to wish you all a very happy new year :-D Next couple of months are going to be very exciting. Let's hope we end up in our dream doctoral programs. :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
GMATDanger wrote:
Hi,

Just wanted to wish you all a very happy new year :-D Next couple of months are going to be very exciting. Let's hope we end up in our dream doctoral programs. :-D

Best Of Luck

Thanks Ya

:-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Very happy new year, guys!
All the best for admissions! keep us posted :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
whatstheoldest42 wrote:
Lets track it in one place guys. I hope there are others this fall for the Ph D programs..

I am going for a lot of universities ignoring their rank and going also by reearch productivity but not just for that either

For my uant/Mathematical Finance/ financial economics aspirations I like

Boston College - Carroll
Boston University
USC - Moore
Indiana - Kelley
OSU - Fisher
Rutgers
Pittsburgh - Katz

West:
Iowa: Tippie
Toronto/Alberta
UCSD: Rady
UCI: Merage
USC: Marshall

other Intl:

SMU
NBS
Tsinghua
Edinburgh
Trinity - dublin
City - London

India (Post GMAT cycle - October / December Deadlines)

IIMA
IIMB
IIMK
IIM Ranchi, Trichy, Rohtak
IITD
SOM- SJ Mehta
and others

Let's share as much a s possible to make sure we are doing it right and look fine for it

to quote the old thread that "inspired" this required thread:
Thus far, I have found the Application process to be incredibly time consuming. I was surprised by how long it took to write my personal statement (a 2 page essay shouldn’t be that difficult). Although I am relieved to have my applications finished, the prospect of having to wait three months to find out where (if anywhere) I will be heading is extremely stressful.

I look forward to hearing how this process has progressed for the rest of you

In india list you missed XLRI (GM), ISB , IIM- C ( best in Finance ) .Please add them

Thanks

:-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
will be applying in 2014 for 2015 i believe
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator: