Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8530 [49]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [3]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: BBA, Finance
 Q39  V21 GMAT 2: 640  Q45  V33
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Re: Freud’s theories of the workings of the mind, while brilliant for thei [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO D
noboru wrote:
Freud’s theories of the workings of the mind, while brilliant for their day, were formulated before most of this century’s great advances in neurophysiology and biochemistry. Today, we have a far deeper understanding of the biological components of thought, emotion, and behavior than was dreamed of eighty years ago. It would be foolish to continue parroting Freud’s psychological theories as if these advances had never occurred.
It can be inferred from the passage above that the author would be most likely to favor
(A) the abandonment of most of Freud’s theories - too extreme and also the passage doesn't talk about abandoning Freud's theories.
(B) a greater reliance on biological rather than psychological explanations of behavior - the argument does not mention the importance of one over another. It mentions the new advances and hence the need to re-check Freud's theories.
(C) a critical reexamination of Freud’s place in the history of psychology - Out of scope. Why would we want to examine Freud's place in history? We need to examine the theories. He did a good job in his time :)
(D) a reexamination of Freud’s theories in the light of contemporary biology - Correct. All the argument wants is not to rely completely on the theories developed 80 years ago but to evaluate them as new developments in the same field has happened.
(E) increased financial support for studies in neurophysiology and biochemistry
- Again, out of scope
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Business Development
Send PM
Re: Freud’s theories of the workings of the mind, while brilliant for thei [#permalink]
IMO D.

"It would be foolish to continue parroting Freud’s psychological theories as if these advances had never occurred" - As I understand the author is saying that it would be foolish to continue using freud's model without reexamining it. but we get no info about what he believes is better.

It is possible to assume that the old theories are matching the new ones and therefore - we can rely on both in the same way.

Would be happy to know OA for this one. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Hi nightblade354,

Could you please provide an explanation for this question. I was confused between B and D. I went for B as B establishes one over the other just like the last line in the passage does. I am not convinced how D could be the right answer.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [3]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wonderwoman31, your line of thinking is correct, but a little off. Let's break it down:

Freud’s theories of the workings of the mind, while brilliant for their day, were formulated before most of this century’s great advances in neurophysiology and biochemistry. Today, we have a far deeper understanding of the biological components of thought, emotion, and behavior than was dreamed of eighty years ago. It would be foolish to continue parroting Freud’s psychological theories as if these advances had never occurred.

Premise: Freud had brilliant ideas, but were not created when we had more advanced sciences
Premise: We have a better grasp of the biological components than when Freud was around
Conclusion: Why are we still talking about his original ideas without taking into account the other sciences?

To be honest, there are only a few contenders here, the trickiest ones being A, B, and D. Remember, this is an inference question. We are looking for what the author is 100% saying.

It can be inferred from the passage above that the author would be most likely to favor

(A) the abandonment of most of Freud’s theories -- Where did we say this? You would have to assume "It would be foolish to continue parroting Freud’s psychological theories as if these advances had never occurred" to mean that we should abandon it. But we are never told this. So it cannot be true.

(B) a greater reliance on biological rather than psychological explanations of behavior -- Tricky, but the author doesn't pit psychology against biology. If that were the case, the conclusion probably should have concluded that we need to evaluate everything and re-examine how we analyze people. What if we evaluate Freud's theory under the new biological theories and nothing changed? We are simply adding a criteria to the equation, not advocating for a brand new way to evaluate.

(C) a critical reexamination of Freud’s place in the history of psychology -- History? Never talked about this and requires the assumption that place in history and the possibility the accuracy of his theories go hand in hand. Wrong.

(D) a reexamination of Freud’s theories in the light of contemporary biology -- Bingo. The last sentence says we need to re-evaulate Freud using these methods. This is our answer, as it is spelled out in the question.

(E) increased financial support for studies in neurophysiology and biochemistry -- Nonsense. Financial support? Just remove this one immediately.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
GMATNinja mikemcgarry

Can you guys throw some light on this question? I don't understand why D is the right answer.

The last line of the argument is: "It would be foolish to continue parroting Freud’s psychological theories as if these advances had never occurred." For me, its meaning is we shouldn't use Freud's theories since better ones are available. Here the author knows that Freud's theories are sub-par than modern biology-based theories. If the author is so clear about his stance on Freud's theories, how do we arrive at option D that says that he is in favour of re-examining Freud's theories in light of contemporary biology. We know that author has disapproved Freud's theories in front of more advanced theories, so how does the question of re-examination arise?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Freuds theories of the workings of the mind, while brilliant for thei [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Freuds theories of the workings of the mind, while brilliant for thei [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts