Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hello Everybody,

I have updated the first post of Main Application thread with Admission events to be conducted in Jan & Feb 2014, Employment statistics for class of 2013, and Internship statistics for class of 2014. Do visit the thread.

Good luck to all!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [3]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
Hello GMATCLUB Members,

We are bringing a webinar with Q&A as well as chats with current students focused on the Waitlisted Applicants.
The first event of this series is Webinar conducted by Admissionado's Founder and HBS Alum Jon Frank. Jon will share his suggestions followed by a Q&A session. This is your opportunity to ask your specific questions. The webinar will take place on 31st January 2014, Friday, 9 AM PST.

We shall also be conducting chat sessions with some Current students from various schools who were successfully admitted from a waitlist so you can learn what to expect from the process, what worked for them, and what it takes. These chats shall take place in our Chat Room. We will release the times & Dates (all will be the first week of February)

Registration Link: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/531329318
Download event to your Outlook
If you are on a waitlist - you do NOT want to miss these!

The webinar and chats are free. There will be a 30-minute Q&A session at the end of the Webinar on Friday Jan 31st at 9 AM PST - join to have your questions answered.

Thank You! :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply

!
Join us for a chat with several current students who have been admitted from WL last year.
When: Tue Feb 4th at 9 AM
Where: GMAT Club Chat

The recording of the Getting off a Waitlist Webinar is now available on Youtube:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Lo8LAfOIQ[/youtube]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 750 Q42 V49
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Any updates from anyone?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Congrats to those from R1 Waitlist who got an admit on R2 decision day. I can totally imagine how tough the wait has been.
I'm wait listed after R2 interview. Would appreciate if someone who has done research on HBS waitlist movement, can shed some light on the process (how was the HBS communication pattern after R1 decision day) and also the chances of making the final cut.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
gamesfreak wrote:
Congrats to those from R1 Waitlist who got an admit on R2 decision day. I can totally imagine how tough the wait has been.
I'm wait listed after R2 interview. Would appreciate if someone who has done research on HBS waitlist movement, can shed some light on the process (how was the HBS communication pattern after R1 decision day) and also the chances of making the final cut.

Well, I was released from the waitlist today but can share my experience from the last few months as well as what I was able to put together from the past couple years.

- At one point there were 127 people on the post-interview round 1 waitlist, roughly consistent with past years
- They accepted people from that pool last week, with release/continued waitlist decision today
- In past years ~50 people were accepted from this pool prior to r2 notifications
- The waitlist pool now includes those remaining from r1 and r2 additions. My understanding is that this pool will be used to "fill in" the class as people choose other schools or change their plans at the last minute (i.e., no big batch acceptances like last week)

Of course, this is just me piecing things together so take it for what it's worth.

Good luck, I hope you get in :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mswil wrote:
gamesfreak wrote:

Well, I was released from the waitlist today but can share my experience from the last few months as well as what I was able to put together from the past couple years.

- At one point there were 127 people on the post-interview round 1 waitlist, roughly consistent with past years
- They accepted people from that pool last week, with release/continued waitlist decision today
- In past years ~50 people were accepted from this pool prior to r2 notifications
- The waitlist pool now includes those remaining from r1 and r2 additions. My understanding is that this pool will be used to "fill in" the class as people choose other schools or change their plans at the last minute (i.e., no big batch acceptances like last week)

Of course, this is just me piecing things together so take it for what it's worth.

Good luck, I hope you get in :)

Many thanks for your post. Very informative. For what it's worth, I can fully appreciate both the disappointment and relief of the situation you find yourself in. Hope you get to chase your dreams.

I've resigned to the fact, that getting in from the R2 waitlist is a very difficult task (even less likely than R1 - probably because it's a larger and more selective list competing for fewer empty slots). From some historical data on HBS Guru's blog they admit about 50 off the R1 waitlist and about 20-25 from the waitlist after R2 decision day. Can't crib for not making the final cut because it is such an ultra-competitive pool of applicants.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I'm a R2 applicant/waitlisted. Tough news when you expecting a decision and for the process to finally be over, but better than the sting of rejection. Really an incredible accomplishment. I think I will withdraw from the waitlist and keep working. The thought of putting together applications and going through interviews all over again in a year or two is a bit overwhelming, but I'm on the younger side. Here's hoping that a shorter list will in some way help one of you awesome waitlisters!

But anyway, truly, congratulations to all of you.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
bschool purgatory...sucks.

and thanks winter121 for the update. hope to see one (or a few!) of us get an admit call in the coming months.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
What happens from here? Do we sit tight, or is there any contact we should make with the Admissions team?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SteveJackson wrote:
What happens from here? Do we sit tight, or is there any contact we should make with the Admissions team?

hard to say. my take is that the waitlist is the default option, and you should contact HBS only if you are opting out or you have a pressing question. Aside from that, the website says they will not process any additional material, so I think we just need to stay put. that's just my general sense of the waitlist, but i welcome any additional perspective, especially if what I'm saying is totally off.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tdawg wrote:
SteveJackson wrote:

hard to say. my take is that the waitlist is the default option, and you should contact HBS only if you are opting out or you have a pressing question. Aside from that, the website says they will not process any additional material, so I think we just need to stay put. that's just my general sense of the waitlist, but i welcome any additional perspective, especially if what I'm saying is totally off.

Yeah, I'm under the same impression. Does anyone have an estimate of the odds of admission for Rd 2 waitlisters? I've read a few things online, and would guess our odds are around 10-15%, though I have absolutely nothing factual to support that guess. For what it's worth, it's a gut feeling.

Good luck to everyone - fingers crossed!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SteveJackson wrote:
tdawg wrote:
SteveJackson wrote:

Yeah, I'm under the same impression. Does anyone have an estimate of the odds of admission for Rd 2 waitlisters? I've read a few things online, and would guess our odds are around 10-15%, though I have absolutely nothing factual to support that guess. For what it's worth, it's a gut feeling.

Good luck to everyone - fingers crossed!

gamesfreak's numbers seem pretty reasonable to me with roughly 50 r1 waitlisters off and probably around 20-25 r2 waitlisters likely to get off. I'm thinking that the overall application pool was slightly larger this year, so maybe there's about 200 of us on the waitlist, giving us about a 10%-15% shot of getting in.

we are back to square one, except now everybody IS qualified. psychologically, at least for me, it's been tough going from >50% shot post-interview to ~10%.

of course, it has little to do with probabilities at this point - it's all about the uniqueness/fit of our profile. i have a pretty unique background, but according to some current students somebody with a VERY similar profile got in r1...unless this person decides to attend GSB instead, I can't help to think that I'm toast. maybe the school will want both of us, but it's not the typical pedigree background that has several HBS admits each year.

anyway, i'm just rationalizing here since i need to blow off some steam after such an emotionally draining 48 hours...peace.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
good luck to all

Originally posted by A237 on 28 Mar 2014, 12:21.
Last edited by A237 on 01 Apr 2014, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
tdawg wrote:

gamesfreak's numbers seem pretty reasonable to me with roughly 50 r1 waitlisters off and probably around 20-25 r2 waitlisters likely to get off. I'm thinking that the overall application pool was slightly larger this year, so maybe there's about 200 of us on the waitlist, giving us about a 10%-15% shot of getting in.

we are back to square one, except now everybody IS qualified. psychologically, at least for me, it's been tough going from >50% shot post-interview to ~10%.

of course, it has little to do with probabilities at this point - it's all about the uniqueness/fit of our profile. i have a pretty unique background, but according to some current students somebody with a VERY similar profile got in r1...unless this person decides to attend GSB instead, I can't help to think that I'm toast. maybe the school will want both of us, but it's not the typical pedigree background that has several HBS admits each year.

anyway, i'm just rationalizing here since i need to blow off some steam after such an emotionally draining 48 hours...peace.

You hit the nail on the head. Tough going from >50% post interview to ~10% post waitlist.
I think the only thing waitlisters can secretly hope for is that H&S Dual Admits chose Stanford (any stats on this year?) and that R3 applications this year aren't as strong as usual. IMO, I don't think we'll hear back till Mid May on how things will pan out.

On a slightly different note, does anyone know how HBS manages yields with regard to Waitlist. When they say 90% yield, does it mean for a class of 900 people, they give out 1000 straight admits (already assuming that 100 won't join and leave for Stanford/other dreams???). So is it fair to say that waitlists open up, only if >100 people drop out? - or is it more complicated that that?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Good question, gamesfreak. I would be interested to know how the waitlist is managed, too.

Another random question: are fellowships available for admits off the waitlist? Does anyone know of a person admitted from the waitlist who also received fellowships or scholarships?
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '16 (WL)
Send PM
Has anyone heard anything yet? Are they gonna update us this month or not before May 2?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts