Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:58 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation please! [#permalink]
CindyTAccepted wrote:
First, your GMAT question: your score is OK for the programs you mention for your demographic group. It qualifies you. But not more. Retaking and earning 750+ will definitely strengthen your application – if you are reasonably certain you can earn such a score with a reasonable amount of effort, it makes sense to go for it. Your academic record looks OK but not great, so a higher GMAT would be all the more helpful if possible. You can credibly apply to the given programs -- a good range of reasonable reaches -- with the current GMAT, though it puts more weight on the other components of the application to distinguish you.

Creating a strong application rests on understanding your strengths and weaknesses and making a compelling case for your candidacy in the context of the given school. Our entire website has a plethora of information on this very point; I’d suggest you review our comprehensive resources.

Regarding the visa, I can’t say for sure. But in my experience the visa situation has to make sense for the particular candidate and his/her unique situation.

Hi Cindy,
Thank you for your reply. This is very helpful. 750+ does seem like a long shot :(. I was concerned as the averages shown by Kellogg and Chicago Booth are 695. Do you think since 750 is out of reach I should go ahead and apply with 640?
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
First, I owe you a big apology: I made a mistake -- even though you clearly wrote 640, I somehow was thinking of 710 when I wrote my reply. So I'm glad you asked the follow-up question, as I have a chance to correct my error.

No, 640 is too low for those programs. To be a viable applicant at those programs, you would need a GMAT near or above 700. I suggest retaking and try to reach this level first. If you score 750, well, super!
GMAT Club Bot