Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [91]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 735 [19]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 389 [6]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:IU KSB
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3826 [4]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
you are Right

E - incorrect - Idiom: skill in doing something.
His skill in teaching is better than His skill to teach

https://gmatsentencecorrection.blogspot. ... 3-984.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of the Southwest, in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at Chaco Canyon but at a number of other sites.

(A) in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at
(B) in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at
(C) in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only
(D) to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only
(E) to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at

My ans is B.
Parallelism: not only at... but at...
Subj. V. agreement: the skill and the precision-->are
Idiom: In measuring > to measure
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of the [#permalink]
Could anyone give a very strong reasoning for the options B and E as to why B is correct and E is wrong or either ways, B is wrong and E is correct.

Experts your help needed.

Thanks and regards,
Amit
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Amit1408GMAThunk wrote:
Could anyone give a very strong reasoning for the options B and E as to why B is correct and E is wrong or either ways, B is wrong and E is correct.

Thanks and regards,
Amit

I am not an expert but I can help you here.

B) The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of the Southwest, in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at Chaco Canyon but at a number of other sites.

E) The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of the Southwest, to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at Chaco Canyon but at a number of other sites.

They are very similar. They have the right verb "are" use the same structure in the comparison "not only at ... but at". As you can see there is only one difference : in measuring/to measure. To measure sounds awkward, I would say the skill in something rather than the skill to . This is a question from the 1000 series and from what I've learned so far, it's not a good source.

Let me know if it's clear
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [3]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Amit1408GMAThunk wrote:

Thanks and regards,
Amit

Hi,
This is in response to your PM.

The only difference between Choice B and Choice E is of "in measuring" and "to measure". Per the context of the sentence, "in measuring" is better that "to measure".
As the poster before my post has correctly said, this is not very good question to study because GMAT now does not use the idiom "not only X but Y". The correct idiom is "not only X but also Y".

So just study official questions.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2284 [0]
Given Kudos: 740
GPA: 3.21
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Amit1408GMAThunk wrote:

Thanks and regards,
Amit

Hi,
This is in response to your PM.

The only difference between Choice B and Choice E is of "in measuring" and "to measure". Per the context of the sentence, "in measuring" is better that "to measure".
As the poster before my post has correctly said, this is not very good question to study because GMAT now does not use the idiom "not only X but Y". The correct idiom is "not only X but also Y".

So just study official questions.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

Based on the article ' for verbing vs to verb', we can clearly infer that there is no intent to measure the movements of sun and moon and hence use of to verb will be incorrect..although the other options doesn't have 'for verb' construction but using the concept in the article, we can say in measuring will be the correct usage....

Please confirm

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by WoundedTiger on 23 Dec 2013, 07:42.
Last edited by WoundedTiger on 23 Dec 2013, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
WoundedTiger wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

Based on the article ' for evening vs to verb', we can clearly infer there is no intent to measure the movements of sun and moon and hence use of to verb will be incorrect..although the other option doesn't have 'for verb' construction but using the concept in the article, we can say in measuring will be the correct usage....

Please confirm

Posted from my mobile device

Hi there,

Yes, your understanding is correct here. We can easily that last two answer choices because of the incorrect use of "to measure". This leaves us with the answer choices that start with "in measuring". So yes, this usage has to be correct.

Wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
Send PM
The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of the Southwest, in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at Chaco Canyon but at a number of other sites.

(A) in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at
(B) in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at idiomatically correct
(C) in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only
(D) to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only
(E) to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at unidiomatic
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
certainly, precision to measure sounds very very awkward.
This question does not test any concept of idiom, but B is the right answer.
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Understood my mistake although I marked Option E....was stuck between two options B and E....Skill and Precision together are plural so Options A,C and D eliminated. Correct idiomatic usage is skill and precision in doing something and not skill and precision to do something
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM