Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Re: Urgent!: 750 on GMAT, but Oxford SAID is the best I can do? [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,

Thanks for your response. Well I guess my fears over Oxford said were really unfounded. I was realistically aiming for UCLA/ Said/ HEC/ Darden (if i had applied later).. until my peers fed this idea into my head that it would be a shame if I accepted anything below Chicago Booth/NYU/ Tuck / Fuqua with a 750 GMAT! But my profile isn't great to be honest - Indian Software Engineer working in Singapore with no volunteering activities. very little career progression, and after talking to current students in Said (Indians with 740+ GMAT and really exciting work experience) I am probably lucky coz I am getting in solely on account of my GMAT score perhaps! I was needlesly worrying over rankings and the views of people who were not aware of MBA admissions process whatsoever hahaha.. While it would have been awesome to get into one of those super elite MBAs, I will "settle" for Said; and instead of worrying about stuff, I am going to focus my efforts on how to make things happen. I really HAVE to do my MBA this year and cannot afford to skip this year and then do a 2 year program!

I am curious though, (and not that this matters, because in the end its whether the MBA program suits your needs and helps you get into the career you need)- how come Oxford Said has a bad rap on these forums? The students I've spoken to, speak very highly and they have all switched into really great consulting firms. Now while I am sure that the top 10 US colleges stand heads and shoulders above Said, the next 10 would be somewhere around Said.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Though you have to consider all aspects of your personal situation and whether Said can help you fulfill your goals, I can speak from experience than an extra year well spent can make a world of difference. I was dinged at Kellogg, HBS, Wharton, Sloan, Stern, CBS, and McCombs last year with a 760 GMAT and got into Georgetown. However, after much deliberation I passed on McDonough, chose CBS as my target, took an accounting course at my local community college, networked my butt off with any and every person connected to CBS I could find, learned everything I could about the program, put MUCH more CBS-targeted info into my application this year, applied early decision as a reapplicant, and got in and will matriculate next fall. Said may very well help you accomplish everything you want to, and if that's the case then go for it, but if you feel like you will be settling I would say try again next year. That path worked for me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wow! Congrats chains1910! Great story of persistence, and you deserve to get into CBS just on account of that :) What is your post-MBA goal if I may ask?

However - I must point out that we do differ in our demographics first! I am an Indian working in IT.. and as I have repeatedly read and heard - this is the most competitive pool to be in. So realistically I could target only maybe a Fuqua or Darden and I am not sure that these would help me acheive my goals any more than SBS would! Again I may be completely wrong here, so please correct me if I am :)

I do realise the benefits of a 2 year program - but I have been weighing the pros and cons of waiting another year and then doing a 2 year program - and it really doesn't make sense to me - especially since I am not hell bent on working in the US. And a few MAJOR dents in my savings recently means that I cant even afford a 2 year program without taking on some SERIOUS debt which I don't want to do. My priority is to get a good role - a consultant at a top consulting firm. I need this role just to expand my view - working in IT has narrowed my field of vision of Business operations.

IM gonna throw this out to the readers of this forum for their views : I spoke to the SBS Careers person, and he insisted that when it comes to top tier consulting firms (MBB) a 4 month internship in consulting wont really convince them that you are ready for the career change. Rather, what these firms look for are examples of how your work experience over the last 5 or so years is transferable to the consulting practice. So it is much better if an IT guy pushes for a role more aligned with his consulting aspirations (Such as Solutions consultant), and aligned with the qualities that MBB look for, than for him to do a 4 month internship and expect this to help him into the consulting role. Maybe this is true only for 1 year programs?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
I do know a few Indian IT guys transitioning to Management Consulting from Cornell. Not sure how much internship helped. For that matter have seen Indian IT guys from NUS changing to MC. So would assume it's possible. It's just a matter of self satisfaction and not living with any regrets :). I would say the quote by Steve Jobs "You can't connect the dots looking forward you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something: your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. Because believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidence to follow your heart, even when it leads you off the well worn path."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
First of all, congrats on your great score and admittance to a good MBA program. I concur what other people said, Oxford is a good school - outside the US, there are few schools that will position you for Europe / Asia.

Despite the amazing accomplishment in itself, a 750 score will only get your GMAT score box checked. It's high enough to not get dinged on your GMAT by any school, but not high enough for adcoms to wink at a weaker factor in your application.

My advice is to apply in R2 again. You will not feel as drained as in your first round, since you already have a (great) backup school.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Jack Daniels.. Here's a question though; I may be completely wrong as I often am, so correct me if you don't agree:

Even if I do get into a 2 year program (say Fuqua or Ross), will that really do me any good in terms of getting into consulting? The top firms still look at your work experience and your resume. The top schools will only give you the exposure to these firms: from then on its up to you to really get the job based on your relevant experience and case skills. Based on a few experts ive spoken to, a 4 month internship wont do you much good - and it will be difficult to get a good internship to begin with. In the end it comes down to you to do the leg work!

Any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
I do not have enough experience on this topic to give you a comprehensive advice, but if a certain MC firm recruits at your school, then you will probably have a shot without your former work experience biting you in the ass.

Visit managementconsulted.com, they will give more accurate advice than I do.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, because I don't know tons about your situation beyond what's posted here, but just speaking from general knowledge picked up speaking to students and professionals, if you're dead set on MBB, then your chances will definitely be higher with the higher prestige schools. You should also consider which practice within these firms you are interested in. Maybe your experiences aligns well with a certain role within these companies.

Also, maybe consider the next tier of consulting firms. It may not be MBB, but I've never met a Deloitte employee who didn't love the company. My roommate from college came from a real estate financials background, went to an MBA program not nearly as prestigious as SBS, and through legwork got an internship with Deloitte in consulting that he turned into a job offer that he loves for a boatload of money.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
SmallFry: Thank you for this post. This was almost exactly what I was looking for. I assume you joined Oxford. How good are the prospects for students with non-MC work-ex to break into consulting? Did you manage to land an offer yet? :) Thank you. Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
SmallFry-

Would be great to get an update on your experience at Said?

How did you find it ? Were you able to land a consulting role??

Thanks !!

Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Urgent!: 750 on GMAT, but Oxford SAID is the best I can do? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
bootstraps85 wrote:
SmallFry-

Would be great to get an update on your experience at Said?

How did you find it ? Were you able to land a consulting role??

Thanks !!

It's not worth asking questions to the poster. Last time, he/she came online was 9th June 2014. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hey Smallfry. I am reading ur post now and I am CA from India having 2.5+ years of experience with 1 year experience in Dubai. I want to get into consulting and I am looking to get into 1 year MBA program in Europe or Asia. Best programs happen to be INSEAD, HEC, LBS and Oxford Said. I understand u have done ur MBA from Oxford said can u pls brief me about how the course facilitated u in getting into Management Consultancy and is it worth to get into Oxford Said B School.

Also, I don't have any excellent record in volunteering, so difficult would it be for me to get into these B schools and more specifically in LBS or Oxford Said.

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts