Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [67]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [35]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [25]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Along with the drop in producer prices announced yesterday, the strong [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
C it is
seem + to do--> idiom
and we should use that which is followed by a clause

Cheers

TN

ywilfred wrote:
Along with the drop in producer prices announced yesterday, the strong retail sales figures released today seem like it is indicative that the economy, although growing slowly, is not nearing a recession.

(A) like it is indicative that
(B) as if to indicate
(C) to indicate that
(D) indicative of
(E) like an indication of
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Along with the drop in producer prices announced yesterday, the strong [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
seem + infinitive
seem to be
seem to indicate.

OA is C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
the question is from OG,and it says that option D is incorrect because "indicative of " cant introduce a clause .
Which clause is being talked about here and why cant indicative of introduce a clause
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [3]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
alwaysudit wrote:
the question is from OG,and it says that option D is incorrect because "indicative of " cant introduce a clause .
Which clause is being talked about here and why cant indicative of introduce a clause

hi alwaysudit,
75.Along with the drop in producer prices announced yesterday, the strong retail sales figures released today seem like it is indicative that the economy, although growing slowly, is not nearing a recession.

(B) as if to indicate
(C) to indicate that
(D) indicative of

in the second half of non underlined portion "the economy, although growing slowly, is not nearing a recession"....the economy is not nearing a recession is a clause....sub:economy verb: is
now if you choose C "indicative of "..the whole sentence will become like this
Along with the drop in producer prices announced yesterday, the strong retail sales figures released today seem indicative of the economy, although growing slowly, is not nearing a recession.......in this sentence there is one clause and one is fragment
clause:Along with the drop in producer prices announced yesterday, the strong retail sales figures released today seem indicative of the economy
fragment:is not nearing a recession

so this will be wrong
more to say that seem should always be followed by infinitive.

kudos if it helps.

SKM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
ywilfred wrote:
Along with the drop in producer prices announced yesterday, the strong retail sales figures released today seem like it is indicative that the economy, although growing slowly, is not nearing a recession.

(B) as if to indicate
(C) to indicate that
(D) indicative of

Hi,
Can someone please explain the usage of although here in non-underlined part.
As far as I know although should be followed by a clause .
What is the function of the modifier "although growing slowly" in grammatical terms.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [4]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
abid1986 wrote:
ywilfred wrote:

(B) as if to indicate
(C) to indicate that
(D) indicative of

Hi,
Can someone please explain the usage of although here in non-underlined part.
As far as I know although should be followed by a clause .
What is the function of the modifier "although growing slowly" in grammatical terms.

Dear Abid,

Thank you for posting your question here.

This is a case of ellipsis, and you can find it discussed in our concept file on the use of "as". Ellipsis refers to the omission of words that are already implied by the context of the sentence. Sometimes, such words can be left out to make the sentence more concise. You are correct that "although" should be followed by a clause, but when ellipsis is applied, the subject and the verb of the clause can be left out when it's already clear what they are.

So, the clause here is "although it is growing slowly". It is already obvious from the context of the sentence that the economy is growing slowly. So, "it is" can be dropped without affecting the meaning of the sentence.

Here are a couple more examples:

Although small, my house meets my needs. (Meaning: Although my house is small, it meets my needs.)
The project, although vast, needs to be completed by the end of the week. (Meaning: Although the project is vast, it needs to be completed by the end of the week.)

I hope this helps to clarify your doubt!

Regards,
Meghna
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos