Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:45 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Levelx   Conclusionx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4614 [234]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [46]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [8]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ugimba wrote:
Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get for a new book is to have excerpts of it published in a high-circulation magazine soon before the book is published. The benefits of such excerption include not only a sure increase in sales but also a fee paid by the magazine to the book’s publisher.
Which of the following conclusions is best supported by the information above?
(A) The number of people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book is smaller than the number for whom the excerpt stimulates a desire to read the book. This is correct. Having excerpts of the book published increase the sale of the book, it must be follow that when viewing the excerpt, people want to read the book.
(B) Because the financial advantage of excerpting a new book in a magazine usually accrues to the book’s publisher, magazine editors are unwilling to publish excerpts from new books. The argument is not about financial advantage. So this is irrelevant.
(C) In calculating the total number of copies that a book has sold, publishers include sales of copies of magazines that featured an excerpt of the book. Calculate the total number of copies sold is not the focus of the argument and not even mentioned.
(D) The effectiveness of having excerpts of a book published in a magazine, measured in terms of increased sales of a book, is proportional to the circulation of the magazine in which the excerpts are published. We cannot know the proportion relationship from the above argument.
(E) Books that are suitable for excerpting in high-circulation magazines sell more copies than books that are not suitable for excerpting. Whether the book is suitable or not suitable for excerpting is not mentioned.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2803 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The argument only says that the number of tickets sold will increase. Its nowhere mentioned that the number of tickets that will be sold will be proportional to the viewership. So this eliminates D.

IMO A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Hi Experts,
Can someone please provide explanation of A vs D.

Help will be appreciated.

Regards,
H
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [26]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Experts,
Can someone please provide explanation of A vs D.

Help will be appreciated.

Regards,
H

(D) The effectiveness of having excerpts of a book published in a magazine, measured in terms of increased sales of a book, is proportional to the circulation of the magazine in which the excerpts are published.

(D) is certainly not correct because of the word 'proportional'. To an extent, we can infer that the circulation of the magazine will have some effect on the sales of the book but proportional means if the circulation doubles, the sales of the book will double too. We cannot conclude that from anything given in the passage.

(A) The number of people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book is smaller than the number for whom the excerpt stimulates a desire to read the book.

Since excerption increases sales, the no. of people who would have bought the book without excerption but will not after reading the excerpt must be lower than the number of people who will buy the book after reading the excerpt but would not have otherwise. Only then will the sales rise due to excerption.

I would like to point out that there is an assumption here in (A): The assumption is that the people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book would have bought the book had they not read the excerpt. But since no other option comes close to being a conclusion, (A) is the best choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
I agree that A is the most relevant one among the 5 options.
But, I still don't understand the relationship between the passage and A because A seems like assumption or evidence to support the passage, not the conclusion supported by the passage.

Any explanation would be appreciated!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [3]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
joonhy wrote:
But, I still don't understand the relationship between the passage and A because A seems like assumption or evidence to support the passage, not the conclusion supported by the passage.

Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get for a new book is to have excerpts of it published in a high-circulation magazine soon before the book is published.

The benefits of such excerption include not only a sure increase in sales but also a fee paid by the magazine to the book's publisher.

The benefits include increase in sales
A) The number of people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book is smaller than the number for whom the excerpt stimulates a desire to read the book.==> What does this mean?
If the number of people stimulated to buy the book is greater compared to the number of people discouraged to buy the book (because consider "excerpt of a book an adequate substitute for reading") the sales will increase.
This is supported by the passage, because correspond to the one of the benefits of the publicity.

Hope it helps.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [9]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
joonhy wrote:

Actually (A) is an inference from the passage. You can infer/conclude it if what is given in the argument is correct.

The author says that publishing an excerpt is effective. Sales increases and you get a fee.
Since we are given that sales increases, this means that more people buy the book if you publish an excerpt. So even if there are people who do not buy the book after publishing an excerpt because the excerpt is enough for them, there are more people who buy the book because they get tantalized by the excerpt. Only then will the sales rise when you publish an excerpt.

I would like to point out that there is an assumption here in (A): The assumption is that the people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book would have bought the book had they not read the excerpt. But since no other option comes close to being a conclusion, (A) is the best choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT Date: 09-12-2013
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
joonhy wrote:

Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get for a new book is to have excerpts of it published in a high-circulation magazine soon before the book is published.

The benefits of such excerption include not only a sure increase in sales but also a fee paid by the magazine to the book's publisher.

A) The number of people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book is smaller than the number for whom the excerpt stimulates a desire to read the book.==> What does this mean?
If the number of people stimulated to buy the book is greater compared to the number of people discouraged to buy the book (because consider "excerpt of a book an adequate substitute for reading") the sales will increase.
This is supported by the passage, because correspond to the one of the benefits of the publicity.

Hope it helps.

i m confused between A and E.............. :( :(
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
anilvb wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
joonhy wrote:

Hope it helps.

i m confused between A and E.............. :( :(

The reason (E) is not correct:

(E) Books that are suitable for excerpting in high-circulation magazines sell more copies than book that are not suitable for excerpting. - Incorrect

The argument tells you that actual excerption (not excerption suitability) increases sales. Also the comparison "higher" is of the sales of the same book "after excerpt" with "before excerpt". The comparison is not with books whose excerpt is not published or which are not suitable for excerption. Say, a J K Rowling book which is not suitable for excerption will have higher sales than most other books even after they publish excerpts wildly.
Note that the argument only says that if you publish an excerpt, the sales will be higher. Just being suitable for excerption does not increase sales. The point is that books suitable for excerpting COULD sell more copies (compared to what they will sell if they don't publish excerpts).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [2]
Given Kudos: 83
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
joonhy wrote:

Actually (A) is an inference from the passage. You can infer/conclude it if what is given in the argument is correct.

The author says that publishing an excerpt is effective. Sales increases and you get a fee.
Since we are given that sales increases, this means that more people buy the book if you publish an excerpt. So even if there are people who do not buy the book after publishing an excerpt because the excerpt is enough for them, there are more people who buy the book because they get tantalized by the excerpt. Only then will the sales rise when you publish an excerpt.

Thanks for pointing it out. I was stuck at the same point. My analysis was that let's say 10 people are wiling to buy the book in the beginning, and the excerpt is released to a magazine that is read by 100 people. 60 people are discouraged to buy and 40 are encouraged --> this fact refutes option A but still increases the sale.

My question here is, what if questions like these (with an underlying assumption not so evident) appear in GMAT? is there a way around or do we just rely on our instinct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Karishma , although you have explained before but still I fail to understand how come A which is clearly an assumption for the argument be the conclusion ? I would have expected D to be a logical conclusion which relates the circulation of the magazine in which article is appearing to the increased sales. Extrapolating this relation to the logical extremities , if the circulation of magazine is zero ( i.e. no excerpts published in any magazine) , then no increased sale ( i.e. the usual default sale). On the other hand say if the circulation of magazine is high , then highly increased sale.

Clearly the ASSUMPTION over here is that people will be interested to buy the book after reading the excerpt (pt A) . So for e.g. if its a suspense book and the excerpts give away some pointers to the climax , not many people might be interested to buy the book
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [2]
Send PM