Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 205
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink]
Just reserving the spot.... Gonna update it very soon (Almost sure)...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Hey

Just got my 7th ding of the season.

Im totally devastated.

Age/Gender: 25/male/Brazilian
GMAT Score/GPA : 720/2.6/109 on Toefl
Work Experience: [industry/years] advertising/3years
Schools applied to: stanford, kellogg, haas, ucla, duke, columbia, cornell

Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?]
#Interviews: cornell, kellogg
#WL: NYU

Which ding hurt the most and why? Cornell. I was in love with The school, had a good interview and thought I had a real chance of getting in.

Why the lack of success? I guess my low GPA and work experience - only 3 years and no prestige companies. Perhaps I aimed too high as well.

What next? Visit schools and reapply this year. Maybe retake Toefl and Gmat. Try to get a promotion.

---------------------------------------------------
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Harvard University
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
I recommend you have someone look over your essays. It's true that you only have three years work experience, which is a factor, and you say you haven't worked at any known-name firms. So, more years experience + I would recommend you actually try to get a job at a known firm -- and if you want to go to school in the U.S. an U.S. / Internationally recognized firm is best.

Strive to work at the best company you can, but I would seriously advise that you pay someone (a consultant, whether it's me or someone else) to give you feedback on at least one batch of your essays. The essays in my opinion are EXTREMELY important, and if you're not maximizing that it doesn't matter if you're the owner of your own hedge fund and have a background at Goldman Sachs.

Hope this helps!

Jillian
MBA Ivy League
(646) 276-7042 (New York)
www.MBAIvyLeague.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GRE 1: Q162 V160
GPA: 3.96
WE:Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Age/Gender: 27/M
GMAT Score/GPA : GRE 321 (160 V 161 Q)/3.96 GPA (WES conversion) GMAT 630 (Q44 V31)- but did not use this score
Work Experience: (4+ years) I am Medical Biotechnologist Post graduate, was working as a scientist for 3 years completely Laboratory background. Was interested in Consulting but I could not get a consulting job as my background and experience did not attract consulting jobs. Created an consulting opportunity but volunteering to consult a local hospital for a year on improving Organisational Climate and Employee satisfaction for a year and in the mean time applied for MBA. (to get at least an interview with the consulting biggies!)
Schools applied to: Duke (R2), Tepper (R2) and Cornell (R3)
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] yes
#Interviews: None
#WL: none

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why? All dings hurt me equally bad!. I had put in a lot of effort from 2010 (the point where I first thought I wanted to get an MBA and not PhD.) I believe I had strong extracurriculars in Dance (various forms, I used to choreograph for university and organisations where I have worked)
Why the lack of success? I believe I did not sell myself enough to get noticed by the adcom. I ll need to give my GMAT again, increase impact in my work experience and showcase it well.
What next? I can't keep up with the volunteer consulting for long and at the same time I see no consulting opportunity knocking my door so I would be going to research in my previous company and try again applying for schools in 2016 application cycle.

BUT I AM NOT DONE WITH B SCHOOL YET!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Do you mean, you're not done for this year? If that's the case, and you're still trying to make the best of your applications that are ALREADY still out there, yes, I would try to form some kind of relationship with the school and see if you can meet with anyone. If you are going to reapply though, I would strongly recommend you have someone look over your essays, as my guess is that might be the true problem.

MBA Ivy
www.MBAIvyLeague.com
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAIvy wrote:
Do you mean, you're not done for this year? If that's the case, and you're still trying to make the best of your applications that are ALREADY still out there, yes, I would try to form some kind of relationship with the school and see if you can meet with anyone. If you are going to reapply though, I would strongly recommend you have someone look over your essays, as my guess is that might be the true problem.

MBA Ivy
https://www.MBAIvyLeague.com

No MBA Ivy, I am done for this year! Well to be honest I was happy with my consultant (I am not going to name) so I don't see essays as a problem but another look at them can definitely get in another perspective. I am look forward to approx. a year n half more of work before I apply. and mostly it ll be a different set of schools from the top 15.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Well, I wouldn't be so happy with your consultant if you didn't get in to your schools of choice. Sometimes there is nothing one can do, in terms of not enough work experience or low GMAT scores, but I just wouldn't be so quick to assume your consultant was perhaps the best one, given your lack of results...even though, of course, they could be a very nice person.

Just my opinion!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAIvy wrote:
Well, I wouldn't be so happy with your consultant if you didn't get in to your schools of choice. Sometimes there is nothing one can do, in terms of not enough work experience or low GMAT scores, but I just wouldn't be so quick to assume your consultant was perhaps the best one, given your lack of results...even though, of course, they could be a very nice person.

Just my opinion!

Totally agree!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Age/Gender: 23/F
GMAT Score/GPA : 750/3.56
Work Experience: [industry/years] Management Consulting/2 years
Schools applied to: Sloan, GSB, Kellogg
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] No
#Interviews: Kellogg
#WL: Sloan

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why? Sloan, I suppose. It was hard not to get my hopes up high when I was WL-ed, even though I knew the chances were slim. :P

Why the lack of success? Though I decided to apply to a few schools in R1, I had a feeling I'd be posting in this thread a few months later. Still, I had ample free time (thanks to the bench) and knew b-school was a potential goal for me. Besides shelling out a couple of hundred dollars, it couldn't hurt to apply. And I did learn a lot from the process! Compared to other applicants, I was likely too young and relatively inexperienced. This may have come across in my essays, as in hindsight I realize my career goals weren't well defined.

What next? This may seem weird, but I don't think I'm going to re-apply. Even if I had been admitted, I would have needed a scholarship from my firm to really consider going (which was part of my plan). In my situation, the opportunity cost + tuition, living expenses, etc. would not have been worth it. I need to really figure out my long-term career plans before I know if an MBA makes sense for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos