Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 780 Q48 V50
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Send PM
Re: High GMAT Score/Low IR Score [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Sardinebone wrote:
I can't remember what my IR score was, but it did clash with my overall GMAT score. I guess one reason is I had old second hand books that didn't have this section and I didn't prep. I'm usually good with graphs and so on, so I just did the exercises in the 2 free mock tests and since I got a decent score I didn't feel I needed to do more.
I guess it was a mix of overconfidence and the need to prioritize. I took 3 months (about 50 hours) to prep and my focus was on getting a high overall score.

Clear, important, straight-forward --- really helpful guidance that many students could follow. Not all things are created equally on the GMAT -- you learned that lesson well. Good work!

-Brian
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Schools: Tuck '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I scored a 730 on GMAT, Q49 V40. However, I have a dismal 3 on IR and the thought whether my IR score will bum me for the applications has been troubling me ever since. Graphs and DI were never a problem for me, in fact I dont remember scoring lower than 6 in any of the mocks that I gave. I am applying in 2016/2017. I want to know the impact IR score will have on my applications. Any leads on that?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
nikhil.jones.s wrote:
I scored a 730 on GMAT, Q49 V40. However, I have a dismal 3 on IR and the thought whether my IR score will bum me for the applications has been troubling me ever since. Graphs and DI were never a problem for me, in fact I dont remember scoring lower than 6 in any of the mocks that I gave. I am applying in 2016/2017. I want to know the impact IR score will have on my applications. Any leads on that?

Still the same reply, though unfortunately for you, it will matter to a certain degree.
We will know the exact extent of IR importance probably around the Fall/Winter of 2014 when the first graduates with IR will have their final GPA...

You may want to retake, esp if applying so far out.
Send PM
Expert Reply
For what it's worth --- I don't think MBA GPA is a good indicator. Because of grading curves/systems -- I don't know many folks who believe that getting a perfect GPA in b-school is the indicator of the 'student with the best potential' -- it's about much much more than that.

Am I misinterpreting your post?
Current Student
Send PM
As a non-native English speaker, I found IR extremely challenging (got like 4. Didn't really attempt to study this part at all though). Not the questions themselves (as I encounter those multiple email readings and table readings all the time), but solving 12 big problems with a lot of reading in just half an hour. quant and verbal GMAT score is a higher priority for me though.
Send PM
Expert Reply
uwengdori wrote:
As a non-native English speaker, I found IR extremely challenging (got like 4. Didn't really attempt to study this part at all though). Not the questions themselves (as I encounter those multiple email readings and table readings all the time), but solving 12 big problems with a lot of reading in just half an hour. quant and verbal GMAT score is a higher priority for me though.

Your last point is the most important one here --- until you hear/see a top 20 b-school come out and specifically discuss how they are planning to incorporate the I/R into their decision making process -- quant and verbal should ALWAYS be taking priority in your study efforts.
Current Student
Send PM
brianlange77 wrote:
uwengdori wrote:

Your last point is the most important one here --- until you hear/see a top 20 b-school come out and specifically discuss how they are planning to incorporate the I/R into their decision making process -- quant and verbal should ALWAYS be taking priority in your study efforts.

Thank you for the advice, Brian. I will definitely all-in on the quant/verbal and check out the essay and IR maybe in the last two days (think MGMAT essay+IR book is more than sufficient to prepare).
I've been studying with MGMAT package books and they've been great.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi all

I am in a really bad situation right now. I took GMAT on 15th April and Scored 760 (Q50, V42) but bombed my IR. Could manage a disappointing 3. I got nervous there and I knew that i had screwed up IR but had no idea that the score would be so low. In the GMAT prep test I scored 8 in both the tests and thus neglected the IR section during preparations. Probably that was the reason I could not handle my nerves during those 30 minutes. I have no idea how such a poor score is going to impact my applications. I plan to apply in 2015 and I feel that by that time Universities will start considering IR scores to some extent. Should I take GMAT again? I am well prepared right now and I feel that if I continue my preparations and book the next possible date, I can manage 760 again. Should I take GMAT again? Please help.

Thanks in advance
Current Student
Send PM
utkmittal1 wrote:
Hi all

I am in a really bad situation right now. I took GMAT on 15th April and Scored 760 (Q50, V42) but bombed my IR. Could manage a disappointing 3. I got nervous there and I knew that i had screwed up IR but had no idea that the score would be so low. In the GMAT prep test I scored 8 in both the tests and thus neglected the IR section during preparations. Probably that was the reason I could not handle my nerves during those 30 minutes. I have no idea how such a poor score is going to impact my applications. I plan to apply in 2015 and I feel that by that time Universities will start considering IR scores to some extent. Should I take GMAT again? I am well prepared right now and I feel that if I continue my preparations and book the next possible date, I can manage 760 again. Should I take GMAT again? Please help.

Thanks in advance

While choice is all yours, you should take it again only if IR score is making you very uncomfortable unless somewhere in your application has proofs that offsets low IR. GMAT study experts in this forum can give you all the advice available, but not sure if those words will make you any comfortable. 760 is still very high score.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
uwengdori wrote:

While choice is all yours, you should take it again only if IR score is making you very uncomfortable unless somewhere in your application has proofs that offsets low IR. GMAT study experts in this forum can give you all the advice available, but not sure if those words will make you any comfortable. 760 is still very high score.

Hi uwengdori

I think don't know whether anyone can make me comfortable right now. I have not been able to cherish my 760 yet. Two sleepless nights already. But should hear from a lot of experts before I reach any decision.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi,

I got a 720 yesterday in GMAT(Q48,V41) but scored only 5 in AWA. How much will this impact my overall score? I am yet to receive my AWA score but i am expecting 4.5/5 in that.

Thanks,
Kunal.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kunal37 wrote:
I got a 720 yesterday in GMAT(Q48,V41) but scored only 5 in AWA. How much will this impact my overall score? I am yet to receive my AWA score but i am expecting 4.5/5 in that.

Hi Kunal

Congrats on a 720. I am assuming that you scored 5 an IR. Well you need not worry about it. 5 is not good but it is not bad either. I did a lot of research on my dismal IR score of 3 but not I am connived that it will hardly affect my chances of getting into a B school. They have not started considering it yet. So if you are applying this year itself, u can just ignore the IR score.

Utkarsh
GMAT Club Bot