Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Facts about the UCI MPAC program; ASK ME ANYTHING. [#permalink]
How much did you/will you end up paying out of pocket?

Should I go to this school if I want to go for these reasons:
Networking Connections & Job Recruitment (i'm looking to make a switch into Public Acc from Private Acc)
I would have passed all four parts by August, and I would just need ethics units.
Also, please consider that my entire tuition is waived (so I really only will be paying for housing)

I am awaiting USC's decision (interviewed Friday), but even if I get in, I do not think it is worth the 50k price tag (not even including housing). UCI CSUF and CSUN's programs are the only ones in the state that come remotely close and I can get my tuition waived at those schools.

Let me know what you think :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
b00gigi wrote:
For those without luck during Meet The Firms, how did you end up finding a job?
Why was it so hard for students to get an interview in the first place? If you meet GPA cut off and connect with professionals, surely you would get an interview no?
What % of students got Big 4 offers?

Most of the class did not get their internships/FT offers through meet the firms.
Most of the class still doesn't have a job.
I think it was hard because there aren't that many slots open and that we are competing with undergrads. And meeting GPA cut offs and networking with professionals is far from enough to get an interview. I would say about 10-15% received big 4 offers and half of those who received big 4 offers interned the summer before they started the program (meaning they had the offer in the bag before attending)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
laserglare wrote:

Networking Connections & Job Recruitment (i'm looking to make a switch into Public Acc from Private Acc)
I would have passed all four parts by August, and I would just need ethics units.
Also, please consider that my entire tuition is waived (so I really only will be paying for housing)

I am awaiting USC's decision (interviewed Friday), but even if I get in, I do not think it is worth the 50k price tag (not even including housing). UCI CSUF and CSUN's programs are the only ones in the state that come remotely close and I can get my tuition waived at those schools.

I paid 20 grand out of pocket, took 20 grand in loans and 10 grand in scholly$. the summer school session will run you $10,000 here which is VERY steep. I do not recommend attending the program. I noticed that the east coast schools in general place better. if you are bent on staying in LA, go to UC davis or USC, both their employment reports are out and they seem to be doing better.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
laserglare wrote:
Why should we reconsider applying?
What about the program did you not like?
What the recuiting sub-par compared to other school?

You should reconsider applying because the placement so far has been poor. I didn't like the cost to benefit payout. More than half the class is still searching and there doesn't seem to be much emphasis on recruiting after fall is over. Recruiting is subpar due to placement, I don't know what else you're trying to figure out, there simply were not many firms/slots opened up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
ensenada90 wrote:
laserglare wrote:

I paid 20 grand out of pocket, took 20 grand in loans and 10 grand in scholly$. the summer school session will run you $10,000 here which is VERY steep. I do not recommend attending the program. I noticed that the east coast schools in general place better. if you are bent on staying in LA, go to UC davis or USC, both their employment reports are out and they seem to be doing better.

Where do you find USC's employment report? Doesn't seem to show up on Google. Only Marshall (MBA)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
b00gigi wrote:
ensenada90 wrote:
laserglare wrote:

Where do you find USC's employment report? Doesn't seem to show up on Google. Only Marshall (MBA)

they do not offer it online last time i remember, i had to attend a session and they handed out a brochure. ( it's good to always double check and inquire about the numbers they use though)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you for the information ensenada, you make me feel a lot better about choosing USC over UCI, as it was a tough choice for me (UCI I have friends, closer to gf, and much cheaper).

During UCI's infosessions, they made the program seem amazing, like they have a high budget, great investments, strong connections, excellent students etc, and I really liked the stuffed mushrooms they had during their infosession lol.

I truly believe UCI will be a great MAcc school, it has the potential from the OC surrounding area, but maybe just not right now as its so new.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
laserglare wrote:
Thank you for the information ensenada, you make me feel a lot better about choosing USC over UCI, as it was a tough choice for me (UCI I have friends, closer to gf, and much cheaper).

During UCI's infosessions, they made the program seem amazing, like they have a high budget, great investments, strong connections, excellent students etc, and I really liked the stuffed mushrooms they had during their infosession lol.

I truly believe UCI will be a great MAcc school, it has the potential from the OC surrounding area, but maybe just not right now as its so new.

Did you already tell USC you were attending? From what I can tell, having all 4 parts of the CPA exam finished would make you an easy pick. I only know for certain of one classmate who attended this program who had passed all 4 and had NOT had an offer prior to coming to this program, and she received many offers, including Big 4. In your specific case, I definitely would have suggested attending UCI.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Facts about the UCI MPAC program; ASK ME ANYTHING. [#permalink]
I feel that I should respond to ensenadas90's allegations as they are greatly misleading and I feel they do not tell the whole truth. It's important for everyone who reads hisor her comments to take them with a grain of salt. I am also a member of the inaugural class and there are things you should know about the class in general before making your final assessment.

Firstly, you should know that there were members of the class who came in under the impression that by going to UCI and being a part of the MPAc, that they would be guaranteed a job. That is simply not the truth, and it really doesn't matter where you go to school, if you go to a school with that sort of impression, you will likely find yourself sorely dissapointed by the end of the school year. Part of the point and school is gaining access to the employers, not necessarily getting a job on the come. You must still do the work to get the job on your own.

Yes it's true that some people came in having interned the summer before. You will find that at every graduate program you go to, however, the hiring stats are a bit off from what ensenada90 stated. I would more accurately state that about 35% of the class ended up at the big four. Roughly 20% went to Pwc, 10% went to Deloitte, 5% went to KPMG and then 1 person went to EY.

Another 40% of the class ended up going to 2nd tier, regional firms, or went into private corporations. In fact, one of the professors in the fall quarter invited about 10 students to interview at his own firm (he is a partner at a firm in Newport Beach) after the quarter had finished.....

The rest who did not land a job either from Meet the Firms, or throughout the year, are for the more part, people who really didn't put in the work to get the job, or had a hard time with their communication skills. In the class, there were a select few who freeloaded and did not do any work. This is typical in any school setting. Most of those people in the class did not get a job.

Also, ensenada90 stated that UC Davis has a better program than UCI with better stats. Here are some things to consider. UC Davis' class is was about half the size of UCI's inaugural class. With that small of a class, it's easy to make your stats look good. As well, recruiting is primarily for the Sacramento area, with the Bay Area being very secondary. The Orange County market is much larger and has a lot more offerings than Sacramento County, and Los Angeles County is much closer in proximity than San Francisco is to Davis. the Bay Area is a two hour drive from there and if you intend on going to UC Davis, you will need to crash a local Meet the Firms there if your hope is to get into the Bay Area market.

USC is a strong player in the Southern California market and if you want to work in Southern California, it's a great school. Keep in mind though, that by going there, you are competing with a lot more students for the job.

UCI's program is strong. You will work your butt off and learn a lot, and you're generally taught by practitioners, not academics, so what you're learning is incredibly relevant. UCI's graduate business program also just jumped into the mid 30's from 42 by Business Week's national ranking's. This is compared to the likes of Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. To be in the top 50 says a lot. Yes, there were times where I was frustrated, as were everyone else, whether that was with recruiting, or in the actual classes, but I think that is typical of any program you attend. However, I think what the administrators and professors were trying to accomplish and do for the class was really high quality, and provided skills that you simply can't get out of a general undergraduate course load. you are constantly challenged in this program and will find yourself doing things you didn't think you could do before.

Really, in California, there's not a lot as far as reputable graduate programs for accounting, in fact it's really only: Santa Clara University, UC Davis, UC irvine, University of San Diego, and USC for a one year intensive program, and CSU Fullerton, San Diego State, CSU East Bay and San Jose State for a two to three year program. for as large as this state is, that's not a lot. UCLA and UC Berkeley only really have undergraduate programs, however, UC Berkeley has a strong Phd program if that's a route you're considering as well as USC.

Feel free to shoot me any questions. when I considered my graduate schools, (and I looked all over, from University of Chicago, to University of Florida and UT Austin-all really great grad schools) and there are reasons why I chose UC Irvine.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey I'm a current mpac student.

So they doubled the class size and theres a cohort a and b.

The amount of bs that occurs in this program is messed up to all student at UCI. The stuff that happens is like the stuff that you would expect from a for-profit college.

For example:

Any master's program that states its main goal is not to give you a job is shady

Also they did a great marketing ploy but making the tuition 10k more expensive and then offering a 10k price reduction

Last but not least you WILL be placed with a group of at least 2 international students who speak little to no english. Hmm that disclaimer that they have makes sense now.

The good things about MPAC is that I got a job along with many domestic students. Did I get big 4 like I wanted? No.

Another good thing is that if you go to an information session and ask questions they will answer them. Remember though that the statistics for the first year will be skewed since the class size was less than 50 people.

Overall, I would recommend you to take your money elsewhere. Unless you enjoy making yourself miserable for a year.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts