Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [50]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [0]
Re: The Talmud briefly recounts the core story of Hanukah, invol [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ankushbassi wrote:
Hi Mike,
Can you please give your inputs.
I believe option C does not follow the correct structure in "which appear in neither the Jewish nor Protestant bibles, but only in the Roman Catholic Old Testament".
Neither X nor Y,but Z does not look parallel.

Option B looks more convincing and correctly compares the Talmud with other books.

Thanks in advance.

Dear ankushbassi,
Did you read the TE at the link provided?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.23
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
@ankushbassi.
if you look at option 2 the clause " with the single day’s supply of oil lasting eight days" modifies the noun Talmud which does not makes sense. Option (3) more aptly put the non-essential clause "involving the single day’s supply of oil that lasts eight days" in context

HTH
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4225 [0]
Given Kudos: 302
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
The Talmud briefly recounts the core story of Hanukkah, involving the single day’s supply of oil lasting eight days, although placing this story in context are events described by the two books of the Maccabees, appearing only in the Roman Catholic Old Testament instead of in the Jewish and Protestant bibles.

(A) The Talmud briefly recounts the core story of Hanukkah, involving the single day’s supply of oil lasting eight days, although placing this story in context are events described by the two books of the Maccabees, appearing only in the Roman Catholic Old Testament instead of in the Jewish and Protestant bibles

(B) The Talmud, briefly recounting the core story of Hanukkah, with the single day’s supply of oil lasting eight days, and only Roman Catholic Old Testament contains the two books of the Maccabees, which places this core story in context, unlike the Jewish and Protestant bibles

(C) The core story of Hanukkah, involving the single day’s supply of oil that lasts eight days, appears briefly in the Talmud, although the events that place this story in context are described in the two books of the Maccabees, which appear in neither the Jewish nor Protestant bibles, but only in the Roman Catholic Old Testament

(D) The core story of Hanukkah involves the single day’s supply of oil which last eight days, appearing briefly in the Talmud, while the events to place this story in context, described in the two books of the Maccabees, which does not appear in the Jewish and Protestant bibles, but instead in the Roman Catholic Old Testament

(E) Appearing neither in the Jewish bible nor the Protestant bible, but in the Roman Catholic Old Testament, the two books of the Maccabees provide the context for the core story of Hanukkah, and involves the single day’s supply of oil which last eight days, while it appears briefly in the Talmud.

For a discussion of Nested Grammatical Structures, as well as the OE of this question, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/nested-gra ... orrection/

mikemcgarry

Hi Mike

Could you kindly provide the official explanation to this tricky SC question? For me as a non native, this one is a horrible jungle of words put together!

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [2]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
reto wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
For a discussion of Nested Grammatical Structures, as well as the OE of this question, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/nested-grammatical-structures-on-the-gmat-sentence-correction/

Hi Mike

Could you kindly provide the official explanation to this tricky SC question? For me as a non native, this one is a horrible jungle of words put together!

Dear reto,
I'm happy to respond. As it turns out, your request already had been answered over a year ago when I posted the question. If you follow the link posted with this question, you will find a full explanation.

Does this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 724
Send PM
don't think any option is completely correct as rightly pointed out by daagh.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Kudos
Expert Reply
daagh wrote:
(C) The core story of Hanukkah, involving the single day’s supply of oil that lasts eight days, appears briefly in the Talmud, although the events that place this story in context are described in the two books of the Maccabees, which appear in neither the Jewish nor Protestant bibles, but only in the Roman Catholic Old Testament ---
Which refers to what? We are taught in GMAT that it should refer to only the noun that is just lying before. We have to take that, ‘which’ refers to the two books skipping Maccabees. – If we overlook this arguable point, C looks ok to me.

Dear daagh
With all due respect, my friend, I fail to see anything wrong with the "which" construction is (C). The phrase "of the Maccabees" is a vital noun modifier, so the "which" would apply to the "two books," i.e. to the "two books of the Maccabees." As you may appreciate, a vital noun modifier can interpose between a target noun and a "which" modifier. See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... modifiers/

Does all this make sense?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Mike;

Agreed; No issue.

Let me say, yours was one of the best passages seen in recent times.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
The Talmud briefly recounts the core story of Hanukkah, involving the single day’s supply of oil lasting eight days, although placing this story in context are events described by the two books of the Maccabees, appearing only in the Roman Catholic Old Testament instead of in the Jewish and Protestant bibles.

(A) The Talmud briefly recounts the core story of Hanukkah, involving the single day’s supply of oil lasting eight days, although placing this story in context are events described by the two books of the Maccabees, appearing only in the Roman Catholic Old Testament instead of in the Jewish and Protestant bibles

(B) The Talmud, briefly recounting the core story of Hanukkah, with the single day’s supply of oil lasting eight days, and only Roman Catholic Old Testament contains the two books of the Maccabees, which places this core story in context, unlike the Jewish and Protestant bibles
--> fragmentt.

(C) The core story of Hanukkah, involving the single day’s supply of oil that lasts eight days, appears briefly in the Talmud, although the events that place this story in context are described in the two books of the Maccabees, which appear in neither the Jewish nor Protestant bibles, but only in the Roman Catholic Old Testament
--> looks good.

(D) The core story of Hanukkah involves the single day’s supply of oil which last eight days, appearing briefly in the Talmud, while the events to place this story in context, described in the two books of the Maccabees, which does not appear in the Jewish and Protestant bibles, but instead in the Roman Catholic Old Testament
--> fragment.

(E) Appearing neither in the Jewish bible nor the Protestant bible, but in the Roman Catholic Old Testament, the two books of the Maccabees provide the context for the core story of Hanukkah, and involves the single day’s supply of oil which last eight days, while it appears briefly in the Talmud.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I have a confusion regarding the correct answer - C.
The core story of Hanukah, involving the single day's supply of oil that lasts eight days, appears briefly in the Talmud, although the events that place this story in context are described in the two books of the Maccabees, which appear in neither the Jewish nor Protestant bibles, but only in the Roman Catholic Old Testament

In the answer, which modifies 2 books of Maccabees. So, do these books appear in the testament? How does it work out with neither the Jewish nor Protestant bibles, but only in the Roman Catholic Old Testament?

Can someone please explain?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi,

As you know that ,Which can modify a far off noun in a noun phrase. This is what happening in he option C.
The two links will give you more examples of the same concept.

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... modifiers/

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/nested-gr ... orrection/
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
nikhilbhide wrote:
I have a confusion regarding the correct answer - C.
The core story of Hanukah, involving the single day's supply of oil that lasts eight days, appears briefly in the Talmud, although the events that place this story in context are described in the two books of the Maccabees, which appear in neither the Jewish nor Protestant bibles, but only in the Roman Catholic Old Testament

In the answer, which modifies 2 books of Maccabees. So, do these books appear in the testament? How does it work out with neither the Jewish nor Protestant bibles, but only in the Roman Catholic Old Testament?

Can someone please explain?

Dear nikhilbhide,

This is Mike McGarry, the author of this question. I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, it's not completely clear to me what question you are asking, a grammar question or a question about these ancient writings. It's true that the the pronoun "which" refers to "the two books of the Maccabees"--the "which" clause, a noun modifying clause, obeys the Modifier Touch Rule. That's the grammar, which of course you need to understand for the GMAT.

It's not clear to me whether you only wanted to understand the grammar, or whether you wanted to understand the relationship of these religious texts. While that's entirely beyond anything on the GMAT, I am more than happy to discuss it if it interests you. You can read here about the Maccabees and about Hanukkah. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Mike for the response. Actually, I am clear about the grammar, but not able to understand how 2 books of Maccabees can appear in Jewish nor Protestant bibles (kind of a book).
May be Jewish/Protestant bible is a series of books and 2 books of Maccabees belong to a series. Please let me know whether this understanding is correct?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Kudos
Expert Reply
nikhilbhide wrote:
Thanks Mike for the response. Actually, I am clear about the grammar, but not able to understand how 2 books of Maccabees can appear in Jewish nor Protestant bibles (kind of a book).
May be Jewish/Protestant bible is a series of books and 2 books of Maccabees belong to a series. Please let me know whether this understanding is correct?

Dear nikhilbhide,

Aha! I understand your question now, and I am happy to respond. :-)

This is a curious thing about language. First of all, when people say "The Bible," they may be referring to a few different versions (Jewish, Catholic, Protestant); of course, some groups may even say why their version is the real version and others are wrong--we will leave aside those issues. What I will say here is true for any Bible.

You confusion concerns two completely different uses of the word "book."

The Bible, by its very nature, is a compilation of writings from a number of different historical periods. Each section, originally, in ancient times, was a separate scroll. Each section is now called a "book"--this is a secondary definition of the word. Some "books" of the Bible are Leviticus, Proverbs, and Isaiah--those "books" would be in any Bible. If you were to go into a bookstore and buy any version of the Bible, you would be holding a single book (in the ordinary sense of the word). The primary definition of the word "book" is the ordinary definition, the single physical object that you can hold and read. The secondary definition of the word is "an independent section of the Bible, attributed to a single author." Thus, if you were holding the single book, the Bible, and opened it up, the contents would be several "books of the Bible." When we refer to an individual one, such as Judges, we call is a "book" (in the sense of an independent section of the Bible), but of course, physically, all these individual "books" of the Bible are bound together as a single physical book we call the Bible.

My friend, I would say that it's worthwhile to find out a little about the Bible: a little about how it's organized and what it says. This is not so important for the GMAT, but if you plan to be a manager in the modern world, it's important only because it is a book that has had such a monumental impact on the world. Even people in Europe & America who are totally unreligious still act in ways and have values that have been shaped by the Bible. Together, the Bible, the Q'uran, and the Hindu writings have influenced more that half the human race. If you want to be successful in the global economy, it's important to have at least a basic understanding of these books and value systems.

Does all this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Mike for the wonderful explanation!!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
surely, there will be long SC questions on gmat exams, but test takers need to stay calm, and use the POE method to quickly eliminate wrong option choices one by one.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 467
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
ankushbassi wrote:
Hi Mike,
Can you please give your inputs.
I believe option C does not follow the correct structure in "which appear in neither the Jewish nor Protestant bibles, but only in the Roman Catholic Old Testament".
Neither X nor Y,but Z does not look parallel.

Option B looks more convincing and correctly compares the Talmud with other books.

Thanks in advance.

Dear ankushbassi,
Did you read the TE at the link provided?

Hi Mike,

Got it right as I studied Judaism.I eliminated A as I felt the use of instead wasn't appropriate. Please correct me. Also, am following your advice and reading a lot. Have improved. Thank you.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
Kezia9 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Got it right as I studied Judaism.I eliminated A as I felt the use of instead wasn't appropriate. Please correct me. Also, am following your advice and reading a lot. Have improved. Thank you.

Dear Kezia9,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Congratulations on getting this very hard SC practice problem correct! Yes, one of the problems in (A) is the very awkward use of "instead of." The GMAT doesn't seem to like this structure even when it's totally grammatically legitimate, but the use in (A) is highly suspect:
. . . instead of in the Jewish and Protestant bibles.
Having one prepositional phrase as the object of another preposition is a train wreck. You are correct: this is one solid reason to reject (A).

I am glad to hear that you are reading and that this discipline is helping you to improve. I wish you the best of luck, my friend!

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts