Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5736 [14]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [5]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 222
GPA: 3
Send PM
The proper way to plan a scientific project is first to decide its goa [#permalink]
The Argument clearly explains the author's definition of planning a project. A goal must be decided first, and then there must be planning the best possible way to accomplish this goal.
The Author gives the example of the Space Station, which had an original objective but had undergone a change at a certain point. The Author then says that this new objective can be achieved through other ways as well. But he/she does not throw light on whether this method (space station) to achieve the objective (limited gravity experimentation) is the best way to go about it or not. In fact there is no mention of "better" ways to do it. He/She merely acknowledges that there are possible alternatives, and then concludes that building the space station is, in fact, not required.

Choice E is the only option that accurately summarizes what the author has written in the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [1]
Given Kudos: 188
Send PM
Re: The proper way to plan a scientific project is first to decide its goa [#permalink]
Kudos
From Powerscore:

The argument sets out a principle: that the proper way to plan a scientific project is to first decide its goal, then find the best way of meeting that goal. Then it argues that the US space station project violates this principle. The goal of such a project, after the end of the Cold War, was to conduct limited-gravity experiments. However, such experiments can be done in other (though not necessarily better) ways. The flaw here is that from the evidence provided, it is unclear whether the above principle is violated. Namely, the mere fact that such experiments can be done in other ways does not violate the principle. It is only when these other ways are superior that the principle is violated.

Answer choice (A) The argument does not make an ad hominem attack. It does not base its attack upon the source of the opposite position.

Answer choice (B) The argument here is not circular. The argument sets out a clear principle and tries unsuccessfully to meet it.

Answer choice (C) The argument does not blame any party for not foreseeing the end of the Cold War.

Answer choice (D) The argument does not contradict itself. The statements it advances are consistent, but the evidence it cites simply does not rise to the level of proving the proposition set forth.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. The argument points to evidence of the existence of a shortcoming—that the experiments can be done in other ways. However, this is not a fatal flaw, and thus does not violate the principle, because it has not been shown those other ways are superior to conducting the experiments using the space station project.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The proper way to plan a scientific project is first to decide its goa [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts