Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Anderson ($$$) or Ross?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Anderson ($$$) vs Ross [#permalink]
MBAschooled –
Thank you very much for your input. I think you highlighted a great point, which is that I CAN and I believe I WILL have an excellent experience at Anderson. Brentwood is a great area and it does seem like there is great camaraderie amongst the students. Knowing this, I am currently leaning towards Anderson at the moment. It’s just my gambler’s mentality of “what if?” with Ross that is causing me to hesitate at the moment.

Angelfire –
To answer your questions:
I have visited both campuses and I think they are both beautiful. I like Ross because it feels more collegiate and has a world-class b-school facility; however, I do like that Anderson doesn’t have undergraduates at the actual business school, and that the facilities are dedicated to MBA students.

I do feel more at home with Ross just because I have visited many times, and each time was with friends who went to Michigan for undergrad. I always went during the perfect time during the early fall for really fun tailgates/football games, but I think I am maybe not really mentally wrapping my mind around how cold it will be in the winter (especially for an Arizona native!).

In contrast, I have only been to UCLA on my own for my interview and an admissions event, and never really had any UCLA students or alums to really show me a good time. I also tried to see lots of other parts of LA during my visits, which was miserable because it required a ton of driving around in the god-awful traffic. My hope is that if I go to Anderson, I will not have to deal with moving around so much in condensed areas because I will be living in Brentwood and staying close to campus and the surrounding areas for the most part. I think I will also come to appreciate all the things that LA has readily available to offer.

The last thing I would say is that Anderson’s events definitely aren’t as polished and refined as Ross’, but I do believe the actual strength of the underlying programs are comparable. That’s why, despite my emotional attachment to Ross, I see going there and forfeiting $60k as a bit of an “irrational” decision.

Final piece of info here: I plan to finance my MBA almost entirely from student loans. That means basically $140-150k for Ross vs. $80-90k for Anderson. Assuming a payback period of 10 years and a conservative interest rate assumption of 6.8%, my monthly payments for the next 10 years will be as follows:

Ross: ~$1,600-$1,700/month
Anderson: ~$900/month

Although I know $60k doesn’t sound like too much in the grand scheme of things, it is actual hard to imagine foregoing all that extra $$ in monthly installments for a DECADE following b-school.

Bottom line: I know I am in a good situation and that there is no “wrong” decision. But I am an analytical/rational decision maker and I want to make sure I gather as many facts and relevant data points before making my ultimate decision. If anybody else has any thoughts or input, please let me know!

Thanks so much again guys. I appreciate the guidance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
This is a touch decision because they're peer schools that will offer nearly identical opportunities. If no money was involved, I would absolutely give this to Ross hands down due to your strong preference. Turning down 75%+ of tuition at Anderson just seems like a bad idea given they're peer schools. The main question should be what do you want to do post-mba more? Consulting or tech? Also, where do you want to live? I would try narrowing that down because your preferences are way too broad to make this decision easier. You listed about 3/4 of the entire country as market possibilities. Ross will give you the broader network since Andersons' is more consolidated in CA, not to say Anderson students can't leave California/west coast, I just don't think they want to. Something else to note is Ross seems more like a national school while Anderson seems more like a regional school (from placements). Given all of the reasons above/below, I would pick Anderson due to the amount they're giving. The same opportunities are there; it just seems the students haven't taken advantage of it due to their own preferences.

Placement in tech: wash (Anderson may place more, but I'm giving that due to its proximity to SF/given preference)
Placement in consulting: Ross (Like Anderson in tech, I think this is just a given preference of Ross students)
Placement into San Francisco/Seattle: surprisingly a wash (Ross places very well on the west coast)
Placement into Chicago: Ross
Placement into Texas: Michigan (barely)
ROI: Anderson
Location: I haven't visited Ann Arbor yet, but when I visited Anderson, I mainly stayed around the Brentwood area. Traffic sucked.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [3]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos