Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [15]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: 640 to 710 Extensive Debrief [#permalink]
Congratulations for your performance and improvement Sanchito!

I am in a similar situation, I got 640 on my last attempt and I will be retaking the GMAT the 22nd of June. As you mentioned, I have done a study plan to tackle my weak areas and I am trying my best to stick to it.

You would help me a lot if you tell me how long did you prepare for your second attempt.

Thanks a lot and good luck with the INSEAD!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, patodrums89!

Thanks and really appreciate you reading through the long post. My study for the first test lasted around 4 months and I spent the same time to prepare for the second test. I treated the second time as if I were studying for the exam for the first time again and repeated all the lessons. I actually could have done it in 3 months because I had to go on a couple of breaks because of work/pre-scheduled vacation. I chose to study for 4 months again because I truly didn't feel ready during my first test and knew that I had to cover the basics. At one point in my study, I actually felt burned out because I had been studying for too long (8 months, since I first started studying for the GMAT) and just decided to take the test.

There are other debriefs wherein people studied for as short as a month before taking the test again. I think it really depends on what you need to improve on so don't take the 4 months as a rule.

Hope I answered your question and feel free to ask if you need more clarifications.

PS. I'm actually going to add another section about the duration of my study and hopefully I can finish it within the week.

Originally posted by sanchito on 10 May 2015, 17:16.
Last edited by sanchito on 11 May 2015, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Congrats Sanchito. What was your experience with CR? I ask because I am a little confused with CR section. I was always good at CR, but in gmat prep exam pack1 I have encountered several CR questions that were different than gmat prep ones.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Ergenekon,

I can't fully comprehend the difference between the CR questions in the GMAT prep and exam pack 1 because I never took the latter. But I honestly felt at home with CR and during the test, it was straightforward. There were no surprise question types and they generally revolved around, strengthen, weaken, assumption, evaluate the argument, bold face, etc. Moreover, I approached CR with the same method, a combination of Kaplan's and Manhattan's. I read the question stem first, and tried to identify the role of each sentence, e.g., conclusion, evidence, counter point, etc. Also, I never directly picked an answer. I always eliminated choices until I ended up with one.

I'm guessing that you might not have been exposed to all the question types or maybe the ones that confuse you are phrased awkwardly to make them seem like they belong to a new question type. I've encountered really confusing question stems but after breaking them down, I always knew which category they fell under. One more thing,I never moved on to reading the paragraph without first understanding the what the question was asking.

Hopefully this helps and thanks for reading my debrief.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts