Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Assumptionx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [155]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [38]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [20]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [3]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned step-by-st [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned step-by-step has been considered preferable to intuitive decision-making. However, a recent study found that top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle-or lower-level managers. This confirms the alternative view that intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning. The conclusion above is based on which of the following assumptions?
(A) Methodical, step-by-step reasoning is inappropriate for making many real-life management decisions.
(B) Top managers have the ability to use either intuitive reasoning or methodical, step-by-step reasoning in making decisions.
(C) The decisions made by middle-and lower-level managers can be made as easily by using methodical reasoning as by using intuitive reasoning.
(D) Top managers use intuitive reasoning in making the majority of their decisions.
(E) Top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle-or lower-level managers

Conclusion: intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning
Premise : top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle-or lower-level managers
Premise:decision-making by managers that is reasoned step-by-step has been considered preferable to intuitive decision-making.

I want to know about the consistency of the argument given above.
and any good method to find the assumptions as i am not able to think about assumptions taken by author by own so i generally read the options after reading stimulus and stem which some times confuses me.

Pls tell me any good book so that i can learn to make assumptions.

I read Power Score CR bible for solving CR questions.

Thanks in Advance
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Re: Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned step-by-st [#permalink]
Kudos
Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned step-by-step has been considered preferable to intuitive decision-making. However, a recent study found that top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle-or lower-level managers. This confirms the alternative view that intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning. The conclusion above is based on which of the following assumptions?

The author states that intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning simply because Top Managers use it more than middle or low-level manager. If you are skeptical, you ought to ask: Top Managers are not necessarily better decision makers than those other managers. So, what sayest thou? Haha! That's the assumption.

(A) there is no claim for any method or approach being inappropriate... Out...
(B) if this is the assumption that top use a possible combo of intuitive and the other approach, then why claim that intuition is better.. hence, this is not the assumption
(C) whether it is rendered easier with one approach over the other... is irrelevant to which is effective... out...
(D) we still need to find out what is with top managers that the author concludes that their approach is more effective... how often they use it is irrelevant...

(E) Top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle-or lower-level managers

If top managers are worse decision makers (just to exaggerate) then the conclusion is not valid. hence, E needs to be assumed
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned step-by-step has been considered preferable to intuitive decision-making. However, a recent study found that top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle- or lower-level managers. This confirms the alternative view that intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning.

The conclusion above is based on which of the following assumptions?

(E) Top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle- or lower-level managers. If the top managers were not more effective in decision making, there'd be no advantage to using intuition.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
michaelyb wrote:
If anyone could help me understand how B is wrong...
If top managers don´t have the option to choose between the 2, the conclusion that B is more effective than A falls apart as one can argue that the only reason top managers chose B is because they were forced to and not because it was a more effective way... I don´t get this one...

B) Top managers have the ability to use either intuitive reasoning or methodical, step-by-step reasoning in making decisions.

The conclusion is that intuition is better for decision making and the premise is that more top managers use intuition. Top managers could be rotten decision makers and still use intuition, so we have to assume that they are good decision makers if we are using their status as proof that intuition works better. B doesn't work because it only says they have a choice. Whether or not they choose to use intuition doesn't speak for how effective they are at decision making in the end. That is, they can choose intuitive reasoning or be forced to use it and still not be effective decision makers.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1393 [5]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned step-by-step has been considered preferable to intuitive decision-making. However, a recent study found that top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle- or lower-level managers. This confirms the alternative view that intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning.

Conclusion : This confirms the alternative view that intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning.

If we understand the bold part. Top Managers than Middle or Lower Managers -> "Effective". This is the conclusion and the argument is negating the established view with "However".
What is the assumption ? -> Something that should connect "Top Managers" to "Effective" Decision Making and if not, the whole conclusion falls apart.

(A) Methodical, step-by-step reasoning is inappropriate for making many real-life management decisions.
That is out of scope as we are not discussing about what is appropriate

(B) Top managers have the ability to use either intuitive reasoning or methodical, step-by-step reasoning in making decisions.
If they use both, how can I conclude that "Intuitive based reasoning " is effective

(C) The decisions made by middle- and lower-level managers can be made as easily by using methodical reasoning as by using intuitive reasoning.
Cannot be the assumption as we are not connecting Top Managers at all

(D) Top managers use intuitive reasoning in making the majority of their decisions
We are not talking about the majority of the decisions

(E) Top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle- or lower-level managers. -> Correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
michaelyb wrote:
OptimusPrepJanielle wrote:
michaelyb wrote:
If anyone could help me understand how B is wrong...
If top managers don´t have the option to choose between the 2, the conclusion that B is more effective than A falls apart as one can argue that the only reason top managers chose B is because they were forced to and not because it was a more effective way... I don´t get this one...

B) Top managers have the ability to use either intuitive reasoning or methodical, step-by-step reasoning in making decisions.

The conclusion is that intuition is better for decision making and the premise is that more top managers use intuition. Top managers could be rotten decision makers and still use intuition, so we have to assume that they are good decision makers if we are using their status as proof that intuition works better. B doesn't work because it only says they have a choice. Whether or not they choose to use intuition doesn't speak for how effective they are at decision making in the end. That is, they can choose intuitive reasoning or be forced to use it and still not be effective decision makers.

Janielle, thank you but still, don´t we actually need both assumptions?
I agree with your reasoning, but the author actually needs both assumptions to arrive at the conclutions: 1 - they are better decision makers and 2 - they don´t use intuition because they have no other option.

Michaelyb,

Imagine that top managers are only able to use intuition (i.e. they do not have the ability to use methodical reasoning).

If we assume that despite top managers do not have this ability, they are more effective at decision making than middle or low managers, we can conclude that intuition is more effective than methodical reasoning because it is the method used by those who are more effective at decision-making.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20713 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
ayushi wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 63
Page: 141
Difficulty:

(C) The decisions made by middle- and lower-level managers can be made as easily by using methodical reasoning as by using intuitive reasoning.
(D) Top managers use intuitive reasoning in making the majority of their decisions.
(E) Top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle- or lower-level managers.

OFFICIAL SOLUTION

Situation
Intuition, used significantly more by top managers than by middle- or lower-level managers, is found to be more effective than step-by-step reasoning in making decisions.

Reasoning
What assumption does the argument make? The study shows that top managers use intuition more in decision making than the other managers do. The conclusion is then drawn that intuition is more effective. But the stated premises on their own provide inadequate support for the conclusion, so it is reasonable to think that the argument must be based on an unstated assumption, such as the assumption that top managers, when employing intuitive decision making, make more effective decisions than middle- and lower-level managers. Without some such assumption, the argument fails.

A   While the argument is consistent with this idea, the inappropriateness of step-by-step reasoning is not assumed.
B   Top managers’ ability to switch decision methods does not help to show that one method is better than the other.
C   The effectiveness of decision-making methods, not the ease with which the methods are applied, is the subject of the argument.
D   The argument would not necessarily fail if something incompatible with this statement were assumed—for example, if it were assumed that top managers use intuition only in half of their decisions. Thus this statement does not have to be assumed. Moreover, even if this statement were to be added as an assumption to the stated premises, the support for the conclusion would still be inadequate unless some additional assumption were made.
E   Correct. This is the best choice for the missing assumption. Without some such assumption, the argument would fail.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM

Assumption: Because top-level managers make decision by intuition and author concludes that intuition is a better way, means their decision would have been right.

Goes against the conclusion.

Managers having the ability does not mean that the decision will be right.

How easily or how difficult does not answers us on the effectiveness of the decision.

Does not address the effectiveness of the decision.

(E) Top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle- or lower-level managers.
That is why author concludes top managers decision.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM

(E) Top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle- or lower-level managers.[/quote]

Hi mikemcgarry,
I swithced answer choice B from choice E.

When I read this prompt especially the sentence,
Top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle- or lower- level managers.

Using intuition more does not necessarily indicate more effectively, except top managers compared different methods.
then
I asked myself why top managers used intuition? why they did not use other methods? if they can choose both, but they chose intuition at the end, then it can indicate "intuition" is more effective.

So I picked up B eventually.

I have no idea why B is incorrect.
Please help

Thanks in advance

Zoe
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:

Hi mikemcgarry,
I swithced answer choice B from choice E.

When I read this prompt especially the sentence,
Top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle- or lower- level managers.
Using intuition more does not necessarily indicate more effectively, except top managers compared different methods.
then
I asked myself why top managers used intuition? why they did not use other methods? if they can choose both, but they chose intuition at the end, then it can indicate "intuition" is more effective.

So I picked up B eventually.

I have no idea why B is incorrect.
Please help

Thanks in advance

Zoe

Dear zoezhuyan,

My friend, it's good to hear from you. How have you been? I'm happy to respond. :-)

We want an assumption of the argument.

Choice (B) is funny. It's almost undeniably true, but it's not really an assumption. You may be familiar with the Negation Test for Assumptions.

Suppose we negate (B). Suppose, quite unrealistically, most top managers do NOT have the ability to use either intuitive reasoning or methodical, step-by-step reasoning in making decisions. Suppose, for what genetic difference, most of these people can only reason intuitively. The argument could still work under these conditions. The top managers are still using intuition most of the time, and these people would stay at the top only if their decisions were successful. Thus, regardless of whether they have any choice in it, they are still demonstrating the success of this approach.

Thus, we can negate (B) and the argument still works. This means that (B) is not an assumption.

Meanwhile, (E) definitely is an assumption. In that same linked blog, I discuss something I informally call the "bridge approach" to finding an assumption. In this argument, we get the premise: "a recent study found that top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle- or lower-level managers." Then there's a huge leap to the conclusion, "This confirms the alternative view that intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning." What bridges that gap? The only way that top managers using intuition would be seen as more effective is if the top managers are more effective. This is exactly what (E) says:
Top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle- or lower-level managers.
That's the assumption.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
My friend, it's good to hear from you. How have you been? I'm happy to respond. :-)

We want an assumption of the argument.

Choice (B) is funny. It's almost undeniably true, but it's not really an assumption. You may be familiar with the Negation Test for Assumptions.

Suppose we negate (B). Suppose, quite unrealistically, most top managers do NOT have the ability to use either intuitive reasoning or methodical, step-by-step reasoning in making decisions. Suppose, for what genetic difference, most of these people can only reason intuitively. The argument could still work under these conditions. The top managers are still using intuition most of the time, and these people would stay at the top only if their decisions were successful. Thus, regardless of whether they have any choice in it, they are still demonstrating the success of this approach.

Thus, we can negate (B) and the argument still works. This means that (B) is not an assumption.

Meanwhile, (E) definitely is an assumption. In that same linked blog, I discuss something I informally call the "bridge approach" to finding an assumption. In this argument, we get the premise: "a recent study found that top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle- or lower-level managers." Then there's a huge leap to the conclusion, "This confirms the alternative view that intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning." What bridges that gap? The only way that top managers using intuition would be seen as more effective is if the top managers are more effective. This is exactly what (E) says:
Top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle- or lower-level managers.
That's the assumption.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

thanks so much mikemcgarry

I am back to GMAT preparation.

appreciate your explanation.

I think I need to improve negative skill,
because I do not master at Negative skill, so I always avoided to use it on assumption questions, that's bad.

have a nice day
>_~

Zoe
Mannheim Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I was confused between A and E. Although E is a correct choice, Option A delivers the message that step-by-step reasoning is not assumed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
(C) The decisions made by middle-and lower-level managers can be made as easily by using methodical reasoning as by using intuitive reasoning.

Premise: top managers use intuition more than most middle- or lower-level managers.
Conclusion: intuition is more effective than careful methodical reasoning

Wait, what? How did the author jump from the premise to conclusion? Premise is about USE whereas the conclusion is about EFFECTIVENESS. Rogue new idea. Logical gap here. The correct assumption is the missing premise linking the stated premise and the conclusion.

After POE, E is the only viable choice so we negate and see if the argument still holds: Top managers are not more effective at decision-making than middle-or lower-level managers. If this is true, argument collapses. Therefore E is the necessary assumption.

Kudos if you like the answer :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
Send PM
AnubhavK wrote:
I was confused between A and E. Although E is a correct choice, Option A delivers the message that step-by-step reasoning is not assumed.

Hi Anubhav,

My 2 cents why A is incorrect- we are concerned with the "EFFECTIVENESS" of "intuition" and not about "INAPPROPRIATENESS" of "step-by-step reasoning".

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Aiena.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 480 Q34 V22
Send PM
Reasoned DM is preferred to intuitive DM. But study says otherwise.
Conclusion: Intuitive DM is effective.

Just because top managers use this kind of DM it is effective! Well, for top managers to choose this kind of DM approach there has to be the effectiveness otherwise why would they choose it to make their decision. Is this information given in the passage? NO, it is assumed.

(A) Methodical, step-by-step reasoning is inappropriate for making many real-life management decisions – Good to know, but doesn’t help us in anyway.
(B) Top managers have the ability to use either intuitive reasoning or methodical, step-by-step reasoning in making decisions. – Sure, but this doesn’t say anything about the effectiveness of the approach.
(C) The decisions made by middle- and lower-level managers can be made as easily by using methodical reasoning as by using intuitive reasoning. – Fantastic but what do we do with that?
(D) Top managers use intuitive reasoning in making the majority of their decisions. – But do they succeed? We don’t know. Eliminate.
(E) Top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle- or lower-level managers. Yes, this is what we are looking for. Unless this approach is effective why the top managers use it more often. This is indeed the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Before reading, keep in mind that I am doing this review to improve my accuracy on assumption questions. Assumption questions are my weakest point, so forgive a few errors in reasoning now and then.

Let’s commence the review:

Conclusion: Intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning.

Premise: Top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle- or lower-level managers.

Prephrase: We’re working with a supporter assumption – it’s very clear. This would imply that managers at the top of the hierarchy are therefore beter decision makers in general. Let’s scout the answer choices for an answer choice that matches our prephrase.

E) matches our prephrase the most.

However, let’s use the assumption negation technique to double check our answer and root out any possible mistakes. Before we commence on negating the answer chocies. Let’s review the theory of what negating a statement actually is.

What is negating a statement? Contains small excerpts from the CR Bible. I highly recommend you purchase this book if you have the time to improve CR.

This means we create the logical opposite of the statement. It is the statement that denies the truth of the original statement, and is different then the polar opposite of the statement. For eg.

I went to the club every night last week.

Logical opposite: I did not go to the club every night last week.

Polar opposite: I did not go to the club any night last week.

Negating statements is a skill that we must practice to improve our accuracy with CR assumption questions. Let’s review a couple of logical opposites:

- What is the logical opposite of All? (All = 100)
o Not all. (everything but all).

- What is the logical opposite of not always?
o Not everywhere.

- What is the logical opposite of somewhere?
o Sometimes.

Let’s review a couple of statement negations:
- All of the missions succeeded.
o Not all of the missions succeeded.

- Exactly one police car will reach the scene in time.
o Not exactly one police car will reach the scene in time.

- The councilmember could reverse her position.
o The councilmember can not reverse her position.

- The positive effects of the U.S immigration policy are everywhere.
o The positive effects of the U.S immigration policy aren’t everywhere.

- The voting patterns in this precinct changed significantly in the past year.
o The votings patterns in this precinct didn’t chance significantly past year.

- The tax increase will result in more revenue for the government.
o The tax increase might not result in more revenue for the government.

So let’s move back to the exercise at hand:

- Step-by-step reasoning is not inappropriate for making many real-life management decisions. It is not appropriate nor inappropriate. Neutral. Doesn’t weaken the argument.

- Top managers do not have the ability to use either intuitive or methodical reasoning in making decisions. So they don’t use both, they use one or the other. What does that tell us anything about intuitive decision making, or whether it’s more effective? Nothing. Doesn’t weaken.

- The decision made my middle, aren’t made as easily by using methodical reasoning as by using intuitive reasoning. The fact whether its’ easier or not doesn’t tell us anything about the effectiveness of using one way or the other.

- Good for them. Let’s say top manager don’t use intuitive reasoning in making the majority of their decisions. This actually strengthens the argument and keeps the argument in place.

- Top managers aren’t as effective at decision making than middle- or lower level managers. So top managers aren’t better – so we can’t use them as a benchmark. If they aren’t better – then the argument doesn’t hold and weakens the argument the most. Therfore – E is the hidden assumption and it matches our prephrase.

So answer choice E is correct.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Premise: a study on methodical decision-making by managers to intuitive decision-making
top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle- or lower-level managers.

Conclusion: intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning.

Pre-thinking :

intuition is more effective cause it give better results - No
Intuition is more effective cause top level management use it quiet often - NO
top level management use the intuitive methodology more effectively than other managers. - Yes

(A) Methodical, step-by-step reasoning is inappropriate for making many real-life management decisions. --- appropriateness is out of scope.

(B) Top managers have the ability to use either intuitive reasoning or methodical, step-by-step reasoning in making decisions. --- yes close call. but why they are using intuition more ?

(C) The decisions made by middle- and lower-level managers can be made as easily by using methodical reasoning as by using intuitive reasoning. --- not clarifying the situation here.

(D) Top managers use intuitive reasoning in making the majority of their decisions. --- stating the premise.

(E) Top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle- or lower-level managers. --- kept the part open that which method should be used for making the decision. but negating this is going to break every thing. this is the correct answer.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts