Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.23
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Re: How hard is it to get a scholarship to Darden? [#permalink]
Do you have any past business experience? Even with a 750 it will be difficult to get into Darden if you do not have any work experience. The average at most top 15 MBA programs is almost 60 months or 5 years. You might get in with just a few years but very rarely do these programs accept individuals with no experience.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with the comments above. 750 is an outstanding score on GMAT (98 percentile), and 3.63 gpa is very solid as well, but without real world working experience, it would be hard to get accepted by good business schools, and it would not help you that much either in terms of learning.

Don't rush it, give it two or three years of working time then go back to school. If you have no work experience....it would also be tough for you to properly establish a good network.

Nevertheless, you could still try applying, maybe you would be pleasantly surprised. And although 250 may seem like a lot to a student, in the grand scheme of things....it's nothing when you will be paying for 130k for tuition. Scholarships wise, I would like to find out too. Not too familiar with this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
not sure how many people get scholarships but i got one, ~1/3 tuition. 26/720/asian female/product innovation at f100 financial services firm. my tip is to really nail the interview. they don't ask for your resume or write down anything so its really 45 mins (well 30, and then 15 for questions) for you to talk about yourself so be brilliant and memorable. personality counts. remember, your interviewer will have to fight for you when they debrief.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey - I'm a SY MBA at Darden, and saw your post. Congrats on your score! That's great. Do you have any work experience? If not that's ok we just started a 2+2 program so you can apply for admission and defer for a few years to get some work experience. Let me know if you have any questions.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
ethanlayman wrote:
Last week I took the GMAT and got a 750, which was infinitely higher than I was expecting, and now I'm rethinking my post-grad plan. Originally I was planning to stick with VCU (where I will be graduating in December) to get a M.Acc, but now I've been thinking that's a waste of a good GMAT score so I'm considering applying to Darden's MBA program. I currently have a 3.63, which shouldn't change much with my last semester, and while I don't have any current business experience I plan to get an internship for the spring 2016 semester.

Unfortunately, I have no way to pay roughly $60k per year for two years, so I don't really want to waste $250 applying if there's no chance of getting a scholarship. So my question is what are my odds of getting a scholarship, and is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting one?

I appreciate any feedback!
First congrats on your score, and second I think the 2+2 suggestion is a great one.
You could apply and lock in acceptance and then get work experience. I think another option- since that score is good for 5 yrs- is to get a job and work for 2 yrs or so and then consider applying at that time. We offer a product at Stratus called profile development where you work with an experienced counselor prior to applying to shore up your profile so that when you are ready to apply you will be an excellent candidate. I think with a very strong application and more work experience, you could be the kind of candidate that does get a scholarship to business school. To learn how Stratus could help you if you decide to go this route, here is a link for a free consult: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/
I had a client this past year with a similar score and 2 yrs work experience and this person was able to get 3 significant scholarship offers to top schools. If you work with someone now to make sure you are building the right leadership skills, are doing the right research on programs and crafting a winning profile, you could get your MBA funded this way. Let us know if you want help trying this option.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived UVA Darden Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our UVA Darden Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated UVA Darden Forum for all fresh things related to the UVA Darden MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts