Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [25]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.42
WE:Other (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [3]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: 760 (Q49 / V44 / IR8) - Third time's a charm! [#permalink]
Great principles, great story. I wish you all the best on your future endeavors.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
anejehci wrote:
Thank you for the Kudos!

For mental fatigue: I usually drink a vitamin B shot right before the test + sip on Gatorade and eat half a banana during my breaks. I also stretched in the bathroom. I practiced all this during my mock tests at home so perhaps you could do the same and find what works.

CR: This was and still is my weakness in verbal. I initially thought I'd just wing it and go with my instinct, and I ended up with V41 (94th percentile). But when I was determined to score at least a V45 (99th percentile), this is the strategy I used:

1) Read the passage and write shorthand notes / drawings to help you understand exactly what the passage is trying to say and who is saying it. (Learned this from MGMAT)
2) Find the conclusion. I always underlined it and wrote a big "C" inside a circle next to it. Don't move on until you understand what it's saying. (Learned this from CR Bible)
3) Read the question stem. Recall the CR Bible to immediately recognize what type of question it is (there are fewer than 10 "types"). Recall CR Bible's exact strategies for eliminating incorrect answers. (For example, a question stem with "conclusion can be more properly drawn with which of the following information" is an Assumption question. Answers to Assumption questions typically contain the phrase "at least" or "none" and most like do not contain the phrases like "the main factor.") Continue eliminating until I'm left with one answer.

The reason I say Manhattan's CR book is a waste of time is that I didn't feel like it gave me enough question-specific strategies, just guidance on general process.

IR section: To me, this is just a combined quant + CR + Reading Comprehension section. I struggled with it too until I learned a few key strategies:

-Quant problems never give you more or less information than is necessary. Every "given" is used in some way to answer the question. IR questions, on the other hand, give you an overload of information so you have to figure out what is just "noise" on the page.
-Quant problems are designed to be solved by mental math or simplistic calculations. IR questions, on the other hand, should almost always be solved using the calculator + dropdown option to sort table information. There's a reason why they give it to you!
-When I took a practice IR, I did the first 8/12 questions, guessed on the final 4, and still got an 8. I used this information to calmly do the first 8 questions as accurately as possible instead of trying to finish all 12 in 30 minutes.
-The Multi-Source Reasoning questions are the most difficult and time-consuming. If you're comfortable with the other 9 questions, it might be in your best interest to skip these 3 altogether. The probability of success is lower since there are typically 3 sub-questions on the page and there's no partial credit given.
-Use AWA and IR as warm-up. I turned off a fraction of my brain during these sections, knowing the real deal would come afterwards. Skip any IR questions that might rattle your confidence, such as graphs you've never encountered.

I hope this helped!

Thank you for your wonderful advice. Should have had this interaction with you earlier :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Fantastic accomplishment - hats off to you.

A few questions please:

1) How much time went in between your first 2 tests and the GMAT Prep 1 test? As there is a big jump in the score, I am curious to know if it is solely / mostly prep-based, or if it speaks to inadequacies of the testing software of the first two tests.

2) Curious why you are not recommending Manhattan GMAT CATs (as I have been using them in current prep)? Could you provide more detail, i.e. different frequencies of topics covered, or type of questioning, or too high of a variance in score (for better or worse)?

3) Did you have any trouble finish the verbal section on time in your CATS? On all of my CATS I have not been able to finish this section, sometimes not even having time to randomly guess (and leaving several blank!), though was able to score well on the section due to getting most of the prior ones right. Did you use any specific strategies from a timing standpoint to increase your speed on CR / SC / RC Q? (I see you mentioned purposefully guessing 1-2x)

4) I agree with you about "letting go of the ego" and allowing yourself to guess, but sometimes it's easier said than done! (Especially when you can "remember getting a similar question right" in practice. How did you approach this, i.e. did you have certain topics tagged beforehand that you knew you would not waste your time on?

Thanks in advance, and BIG CONGRATS! Very inspirational and hugely helpful. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.3
WE:Information Technology (Real Estate)
Send PM
This is amazing, thank you so much!

I have 2 tests under my belt at this point as well, and am considering another. My results:

April: 700 (Q47/V39) IR 4 AWA 5.5
June: 710 (Q47/V41) IR 7 AWA 6

Your post really resonated with me because I felt really frustrated after my second attempt. Your comments on people thinking you were crazy also really hit home! I really think I could've approached my study plan better. In my post-Test 1 study sessions I focused on hammering through Magoosh problems in quant and gave no attention to the verbal because i had an off day on verbal in my first run and figured i'd be fine. As you can see, no real improvement where it mattered. I also skimped on the practice tests.

I decided to take a break for a month because the test studying had really taken a toll on me and i wanted a rest. I am now psyching myself up to take it again in the late fall. I plan on applying in second round across the board, so this still works for my timeline.

I'm wondering, did you feel like taking them ASAP after your prior attempt made a difference? I am not sure whether waiting longer will be a major inhibitor to my next attempt. Also, what specific strategies did you feel helped best with your ability to manage time? Do you think guessing strategy really made the difference? I felt like both times on the test I got drug into the weeds on certain problems for quant and had to skip ones i felt more confident in. Also, how many practice tests did you take a week? Did you just study on your own, or did you use a tutor? I am also considering getting some help from a 1 on 1 type tutor.

Please let me know what you think, and thank you again for sharing!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: MBA, Finance, 2009
Schools:UCLA Anderson
Send PM
anejehci,

I just took the actual GMAT and scored Q48, V45 and my score was a 740. So I was one point lower on Quant, and one point higher on Verbal.

I've taken GMATPrep and scored Q49/V46 and the score was 760. Same Quant score as you, 2 points higher on Verbal, and same overall score.

I wonder if, within each raw score, there's different levels? Like, is there a "good" Q48 and a "better" Q48?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM
TheGmatTutor wrote:
anejehci,

I just took the actual GMAT and scored Q48, V45 and my score was a 740. So I was one point lower on Quant, and one point higher on Verbal.

I've taken GMATPrep and scored Q49/V46 and the score was 760. Same Quant score as you, 2 points higher on Verbal, and same overall score.

I wonder if, within each raw score, there's different levels? Like, is there a "good" Q48 and a "better" Q48?

There's a historical trend that the GMAT maintains to calculate your score. For example, a Q49 is 79th %ile, and V44 is 98th %ile. What's interesting is the following:

2015 - Q49 = 79th %ile
2013 - Q49 = 81st %ile
2008 - Q49 = 89th %ile

This means that in 2015, 21% of test takers get Q50 or 51, which is remarkable. To your question, I don't think it's about a good or better Q48. The GMAT will check its database of the past few years of scores and ask "what percentile of test takers got BOTH Q48 and V45 in the same test?" It'll equate that to a 97th %ile performance and give you a 740.

There are Q49/V44 scores that have earned a 750, so I think it depends on the historical database of scores that the GMAT references at the particular time you take the test.

--
My GMAT Experience: 670-to-760-q49-v44-ir-8-awa-6-0-no-stone-unturned-for-8-months-200051.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM
Great score, looks like we had the exact same result!

Looking at your previous scores, I remembered an explanation on the score report. It says that you're "true score" is usually within 30 points of your actual test score. Seeing that you got a 730, 740, and 760, you were probably capable of getting a 760 on the first shot. At a certain point, the difference between these scores is just a few questions going the right way. Beyond a 730, there's some luck involved. Some of your techniques are similar to the ones I've detailed in my post already, but it's good to see that it worked for you as well.

I do think that stating some resources as "the worst" isn't very helpful. I actually used the Advanced GMAT Quant book and found the 150 questions to be quite useful. That they included full explanations were a great tool to get the advanced concepts mastered. The MGMAT CATs are tough, agreed, but I don't think it deserves such categorization.

Congrats again.

---
My GMAT Experience: 670-to-760-q49-v44-ir-8-awa-6-0-no-stone-unturned-for-8-months-200051.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
I think the fact that you're taking a break for a month instead of studying on and off during that month is a good thing. I do think that taking it right away was a factor in my success b/c I still had a lot of energy and "fire" to achieve my goal. So if taking a month off helps you maintain that fire - as long as you can get back into it right away afterwards - should be fine. Where I would be concerned is if you took 2 months between tests, studying the whole time.

Timing: I timed myself on every single practice question after the initial learning phase. Over a few months, my average time on easy questions went from 2 min to less than 1 min. On difficult questions, my average time went from 5 min (unacceptable) to 3 min (also unacceptable) to around 2.5. You should never spend more than 3 min on a single question. https://www.gmathacks.com/study-tips/tim ... blems.html Yes, guessing did make a huge difference, but it was difficult for me to do until after my two unsuccessful attempts. I finally decided to "practice" guessing before the real deal and found that it hugely impacted my score. I suggest you try out different guessing strategies on practice CATs and analyze your results. https://www.gmathacks.com/cat-strategy/g ... ption.html

Practice Tests: I never took more than 1 practice test a week (until the very end of my studies, where I did as much as 2 quant CATs per week). They don't have much ROI in the beginning - that's when you should just be doing practice problems - but they are very important to understanding your stamina and overall CAT strategy towards the end.

Tutor: I studied on my own except after my first official test when I took a 3-week quant course. I regret doing that b/c it only served to shake my confidence. I didn't need a tutor b/c I had a lot of personal time and b/c I invested money in good resources, so I can't speak to whether a one-on-one would help.

I hope this helped!

bigchuck wrote:
This is amazing, thank you so much!

I have 2 tests under my belt at this point as well, and am considering another. My results:

April: 700 (Q47/V39) IR 4 AWA 5.5
June: 710 (Q47/V41) IR 7 AWA 6

Your post really resonated with me because I felt really frustrated after my second attempt. Your comments on people thinking you were crazy also really hit home! I really think I could've approached my study plan better. In my post-Test 1 study sessions I focused on hammering through Magoosh problems in quant and gave no attention to the verbal because i had an off day on verbal in my first run and figured i'd be fine. As you can see, no real improvement where it mattered. I also skimped on the practice tests.

I decided to take a break for a month because the test studying had really taken a toll on me and i wanted a rest. I am now psyching myself up to take it again in the late fall. I plan on applying in second round across the board, so this still works for my timeline.

I'm wondering, did you feel like taking them ASAP after your prior attempt made a difference? I am not sure whether waiting longer will be a major inhibitor to my next attempt. Also, what specific strategies did you feel helped best with your ability to manage time? Do you think guessing strategy really made the difference? I felt like both times on the test I got drug into the weeds on certain problems for quant and had to skip ones i felt more confident in. Also, how many practice tests did you take a week? Did you just study on your own, or did you use a tutor? I am also considering getting some help from a 1 on 1 type tutor.

Please let me know what you think, and thank you again for sharing!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
1) Here are the details of my first 3 practice tests (in fact, I realize I have to change the order now in my original post):

1/12: Economist (640)
2/8: GMATPrep 1 (730)
3/15: MGMAT 1 (640)

2) It was just my gut. It bothered me that the questions were so far off from Official ones I'd done. They might work for other people to practice many different types, but I felt as though I were wasting time.

3) I'm a "poet" so I didn't have too much trouble finishing verbal. My only timing strategies on verbal were a) SC: invest time in understanding the meaning of the original sentence rather than spending most of my time analyzing answer choices, b) doing RC as quickly as possible since that was my strong point, and c) letting go any CR questions that I didn't fully understand the conclusion to. Sorry I'm not much help with this one.

4) Yes, I did have 3 types of quant questions "flagged" in my mind going into my final test b/c I knew from my error log analysis that I had a low rate of success on those despite how much time I spent on them. I didn't do this on my first two tests b/c I thought "I know everything! I don't need a strategy!" and I was clearly wrong. I understand it's easier said than done, so I suggest you try a few different practice quants with a specific strategy in mind and see how it fares - you have nothing to lose.

I hope this helped :)

HBShopeful16 wrote:
Fantastic accomplishment - hats off to you.

A few questions please:

1) How much time went in between your first 2 tests and the GMAT Prep 1 test? As there is a big jump in the score, I am curious to know if it is solely / mostly prep-based, or if it speaks to inadequacies of the testing software of the first two tests.

2) Curious why you are not recommending Manhattan GMAT CATs (as I have been using them in current prep)? Could you provide more detail, i.e. different frequencies of topics covered, or type of questioning, or too high of a variance in score (for better or worse)?

3) Did you have any trouble finish the verbal section on time in your CATS? On all of my CATS I have not been able to finish this section, sometimes not even having time to randomly guess (and leaving several blank!), though was able to score well on the section due to getting most of the prior ones right. Did you use any specific strategies from a timing standpoint to increase your speed on CR / SC / RC Q? (I see you mentioned purposefully guessing 1-2x)

4) I agree with you about "letting go of the ego" and allowing yourself to guess, but sometimes it's easier said than done! (Especially when you can "remember getting a similar question right" in practice. How did you approach this, i.e. did you have certain topics tagged beforehand that you knew you would not waste your time on?

Thanks in advance, and BIG CONGRATS! Very inspirational and hugely helpful. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Thank you for your response anejehci! This serves as great inspiration as I prepare :) Wishing you the best for your applications!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
Great score. Thank you very much for sharing these amazing tips. Is there a specific error log that you used from gmat club or elsewhere? Would you mind sharing?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 2412
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 5: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 6: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3
Send PM
Congratulations on the score!!! Did you see a difference between SC from GMAT Prep and that of the exam? If so, which official GMAT material (Exam Pack 1, Question Pack 1, OG 2016, etc.) is the closest to what you saw for SC on the exam? Of course, please don't share actual questions! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nab239 wrote:
Great score. Thank you very much for sharing these amazing tips. Is there a specific error log that you used from gmat club or elsewhere? Would you mind sharing?

I made my own that was very basic - it had the question source, question type (specific - for example, Quant > PS > Percents & Rates) and why I got it wrong or why I had to guess. Every week, run an analysis of your entries. I suggest you try a few from the GMATClub arsenal and see what works for you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TooLong150 wrote:
Congratulations on the score!!! Did you see a difference between SC from GMAT Prep and that of the exam? If so, which official GMAT material (Exam Pack 1, Question Pack 1, OG 2016, etc.) is the closest to what you saw for SC on the exam? Of course, please don't share actual questions! :)

Since I scored in the higher percentiles for Verbal, OG was very easy compared to what I saw on the actual test. I only practiced on the last 20 SC questions in OG. Exam Pack 1 and Question Pack 1 are CAT and higher difficulty in general so I'd say that was closer.

I must say, though, that I was surprised by a lot of the SC questions I encountered. Maybe this is because I'm only remembering experimental questions, but my point is that process of solving - not actual grammatical rules - is the key to cracking SC.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi,

Great debrief... clarified many strategies of mine. If i may, i have some queries regarding the prep.

I recently scored a 690 (Q48, V35) and am about to retake on 3rd sep.... i cudnt wait since deadlines are short.

Actually ive always been confident on quants and scored Q49 on my first attempt (580, V21).
But since my 2nd attempt of 690, ive been falling in quants... im unable to trace the reasons, maybe its the content i dnt knw... plz guide me how can i recover...

Also you talked abt CR bible.... ive studied from MGMAT CR guide... my strike rate in CR is also good (around 70%) but i feel its not enough and i also STILL rely on, as you said, MY INSTINCTS on the final 2 choices in questions... so should i refer to CR bible in this final month before gmat or what should i do instead....

Plz help me. I feel u can after reading ur prep methods and such awesome scores (all 3)....

Thanks for reading.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
You got a 730 the first time and retook the exam? Trust me, you don't know a thing about struggling with this test.

Also, the difference between the first and your last score is practically non-existent.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Consulting (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Very impressive! Glancing over your scores, looks like you have the rare ability to perform better in pressure situations
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts