Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [6]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: State X spends more money on highway safety and maintenance [#permalink]
Hi,
In first look, i also pickd B , but after checkign the OA as E, but I think E is correct :

First part of the Arguement implies that in summer maintenance is of high standard than Winter season.
Conclusion states that, it is because of maintenance which cause the Higher Accidents.

To attack the Conclusion, 'E' states that highway Maintenance(Painting) standard is same through out the year. So, accident rates doesnot depends on the Maintenance......

I think you can get something from my explanation...
but i guess its very tricky ... only after knowing OA as E , above reasoning strikd to me...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Corporate finance, social entrepreneurship
 Q50  V36
Send PM
dixitraghav wrote:
State X spends more money on highway safety and maintenance during the summer months when traffic is heaviest and less during the winter months when traffic is lightest. Therefore, the average number of highway accidents per car should be lower during summer months than during the winter when less money is available for safety and maintenance.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

(A) The price of gas rises during the heaviest traffic season.
(B) Traffic congestion significantly increases the likelihood of accidents resulting from road rage or inattention.
(C) Routine road maintenance projects completed during the summer months make roads and highways safer during rain and snow storms year around.
(D) Insurance companies reduce auto insurance premiums if drivers successfully pass safety training courses.
(E) Highway lane lines are repainted every year in state X resulting in safer nighttime driving conditions year around.

This is a nice question. Initially I went with B. But C makes more sense as it stresses that the maintenance projects completed in summar make highways safer in winter. Choice B only addresses the likelihood of accidents. It may be the case that likelihood of accidents is more but actual number of accidents in summar is smaller than the one in winter. Hence, choice B does not do a good job of weakening the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
The answer should be B.
Are you guys sure about OA?
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
It should be B, where the only assumption is that heavy traffic leads to congestion.
In C,nothing is being said about the summer months,which is the focus of the argument.

B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
C it is. Even with higher spending in summer, winter may have fewer accidents due to the change in conditions
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
'safer' is the word in C , safer compared to what ? safer compared to summer. simple logic
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [0]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
naveen1003 wrote:
B.... please explain

Why did you choose B?

Question asks:
Which of the statement will weaken the conclusion?
It is not talking about the assumption.

Conclusion:
Road accidents should be lower during summer than winters because more money is spent on maintenance during summer.

(C) Routine road maintenance projects completed during the summer months make roads and highways safer during rain and snow storms year around.

This gives us a reason why less money is spent on maintenance during winter. It is not due to lack of funds, as author assumed, but due to the reduced need for repairs during winters, for the maintenance that happens in Summer makes the road good to use throughout the year, including winter and rain.

The road condition is essentially the same in both seasons irrespective of the money spent on repairs during those seasons. Therefore, there is no reason to believe that the accidents will increase during winter.

"C" is a convincing weakener.

B, on the other hands, talks nothing about the correlation between summer/winter, road condition or money spent. It instead talks about completely skewed factors that may cause accidents. Such factors as road rage and inattention should be assumed as constant for both seasons.

Ans: "C"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
HI All,

Need some help, please. I am not convinced with the OA, which is C. The clear answer is B.

Please could somebody can help me with the thought process.

dixitraghav wrote:
State X spends more money on highway safety and maintenance during the summer months when traffic is heaviest and less during the winter months when traffic is lightest. Therefore, the average number of highway accidents per car should be lower during summer months than during the winter when less money is available for safety and maintenance.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

(A) The price of gas rises during the heaviest traffic season.
(B) Traffic congestion significantly increases the likelihood of accidents resulting from road rage or inattention.
(D) Insurance companies reduce auto insurance premiums if drivers successfully pass safety training courses.
(E) Highway lane lines are repainted every year in state X resulting in safer nighttime driving conditions year around.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
i would like to weigh in to explain why B would be incorrect, pay attention to the key word "per car". More congestion = more cars. An extreme case of B might actually strengthen the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
I think C is correct because summer maintenance works make roads safer during fall and winter. Hence this casts doubt on the conclusion. As for B, the argument states that "during the summer months when traffic is heaviest". But we don't know wherher the number of accidents actually increases. Hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 216
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
B) Traffic congestion significantly increases the likelihood of accidents resulting from road rage or inattention.
The option talks about 'Traffic congestion'. Heavy traffic doesn't necessarily mean congestion. It is quite possible that during winters few but all people drive only at 12:00 noon leading to congestion, whereas in summers the traffic is equally dispersed.
Hence B is incorrect.
C) Is the CORRECT option.
Investments done in summer reap benefits later.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
garimavyas wrote:
'safer' is the word in C , safer compared to what ? safer compared to summer. simple logic

It says safer year round, can't you have rains in the summer? B i feel gives a clear indication as to why the accidents would be more in summer than in winters.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos