Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
any good schools at 580 [#permalink]
What does it mean by looking at a better school? I have the same GMAT score, which is 580 (Q44, V25), after retaking the GMAT for the third time. I am planning to apply for a Ph.D. in Management Information Systems for this Fall 2006. Here is a bit of my profile:
1. BS in Computer Science (GPA 2.78/4.00)
2. MBA in Management Information Systems from a U.S. AACSB business school (GPA 3.48/4.00)
3. 1.5 years of work experience in related field (IT/MIS)
4. Have some research experience, the most recent one being in my current job (currently working for a prestigious international banking agency).

I apply to these schools:
1. New York University
2. University of Maryland - College Park
3. University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign
4. University of Pittsburgh
5. University of Connecticut
6. Georgia State University
7. Virginia Commonwealth University
8. Baruch College - City University of New York

Now I have lost my hopes on my first three options, but I have a strong hopes for the last three ones. In my application packages, I always included 4 letters of recommendation (even if a school asks for only 2 recommendations): 1 letter from the Chancellor of the school from which I receive my MBA degree (he doesn't know me though, so I had to do some extra works by giving him evidences of my final academic transcript, my research works, all my assignment papers and research paper during my MBA work and my statement of purpose), 1 letter from an MIS Professor whose class I attended, 1 letter from a finance Professor who eventually became my research supervisor, and 1 letter from my current supervisor. I also included a sample of my research writing for the company where I'm working at (it's a 8-page research paper with a topic in MIS).

I have been taking GMAT for three times this past 3 months, I scored 510 on November 2005, 560 on December 2005, and 580 on January 2006 and I can't seem to find any other way to increase my score further (I have difficulty in the verbal section) besides the fact that admission deadline for each school has been approaching.

I've been considering a strategy in which I hope will increase my chance of admittance to at least one of my last three options. I plan to visit 5 schools to which I am applying and where I have the bigger chance to be admitted. I have contacted several professors whose research interests are similar to mine. I have clearly stated my research interests in my statement of purpose (and I even implicitly mention my dissertation topic in the statement of purpose). I also mention the aim and methodology of my most recent research writing in my statement of purpose. We agree to meet and discuss the works of these professors.

I wonder if anyone can tell me my chance of admittance and give any suggestion on what strategies I need to apply to in order to remedy my deficiencies (GMAT score and undergraduate GPA). I am now reading some of the research articles published by these professors in preparation for the meeting. Is my strategy to meet these professors appropriate? What is my likelihood to be admitted? Thank you for your attention and have a good day.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, the story is same here.
I too have taken GMAt thrice and I have come to the conclusion that there is no way I can improve...so I would rather take decisions on GMAT 580 and move on.
Afcourse I am not looking for any top schools but the names you mentioned are ok. Can you please let me know the exact source from where I will know which universitis do I stand a chance.
Is usnews.com a good site? though I find a lot of fluctuation from the actual requirement from the universiy and what is mentioned in usnews

any other site which can tell me the universities versus GMAt average and program offered

Hey! also how do I calculate my GPA. Can you please let me know
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
It all depends on your definition of what school is "good enough" for you. A GMAT of 580 will not remove you from every decent PhD program in any subfield of management (especially as you move further away from finance and accounting), but it will eliminate your hopes of a top20 school, unless the top20 school you're considering does not have a strong department in, say, IS.

From what I recall the usnews.com site can provide average MBA GMAT scores, not PhD. For most places I would expect the GMAT score to be higher for PhD applicants.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4384 posts