Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Cranfield SOM
 Q46  V40
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
scorpioguy wrote:
Linda

Thanks for the reply.

I will let you know my scores after completingt he GMAT.

Good luck with the GMAT!
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the wishes.
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
Linda

I just wanted to inform you that I took the GMAT today and scored 700 (Q46, V40).

You had mentioned earlier that you will be able to evaluate my profile better after knowing my GMAT score. Can you let me know whether the score of 700 makes me competitive at the following B-schools keeping in mind that my undergrad GPA (from India in Engg.) translates to about 1.8 in US (as per the survey after GMAT):

Cornell
Chicago
Duke
NYU
Michigan
Kellogg

Also on further retrospective I have decided that what I want is a management program with a good finance faculty that would help me in getting a job in the Corp Fin / cmmercial Banking or help me in falling back on my consulting background.

Do you think that Columbia might be a better fit for me than Chicago GSB based on my career aspirations?

Thanks a lot.

Have a wonderful new year.
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
scorpioguy wrote:
Linda

I just wanted to inform you that I took the GMAT today and scored 700 (Q46, V40).

You had mentioned earlier that you will be able to evaluate my profile better after knowing my GMAT score. Can you let me know whether the score of 700 makes me competitive at the following B-schools keeping in mind that my undergrad GPA (from India in Engg.) translates to about 1.8 in US (as per the survey after GMAT):

Cornell
Chicago
Duke
NYU
Michigan
Kellogg

Also on further retrospective I have decided that what I want is a management program with a good finance faculty that would help me in getting a job in the Corp Fin / cmmercial Banking or help me in falling back on my consulting background.

Do you think that Columbia might be a better fit for me than Chicago GSB based on my career aspirations?

Thanks a lot.

Have a wonderful new year.

First off, congratulations on that GMAT.

A few thoughts:

1) I don't think your GMAT really translates into a 1.8 GPA. IN the US that is really a terrible GPA. Unless a school insists that you translate it, just provide the Indian percentage.

2) You have a competitive profile for the schools on your list. As I wrote you in an earlier post, some recent A's or passing the CFA may compensate for that less than stellar undergrad GPA and further strengthen your chances.

3) I don't recommend you replace Chicago with Columbia. Chicago is famed for its finance curriculum and it is slightly easier to get into than Columbia.

Good luck!
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
Linda

Thanks for the reply. I am planning to take some accounting coruses over the next few months either online (UCLA, UC Berkeley etc) or at a local community college.

Couple of questiosn:

1) Does the reputation of the institution where I take these additional courses matter? Would adcomms see me different if I take a course from UCLA Online than if I take the smae course from a community college.

2) Would it be sufficient to take a few undergrad courses or would it have to be grad courses.
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
scorpioguy wrote:
Linda

Thanks for the reply. I am planning to take some accounting coruses over the next few months either online (UCLA, UC Berkeley etc) or at a local community college.

Couple of questiosn:

1) Does the reputation of the institution where I take these additional courses matter? Would adcomms see me different if I take a course from UCLA Online than if I take the smae course from a community college.

2) Would it be sufficient to take a few undergrad courses or would it have to be grad courses.

You're welcome.

Since the point of taking these classes is to show that you can excel in the classroom, you will get more benefit from taking them in a traditional setting than online.

2) It does not have to be a grad school course. It can be undergrad. It should be the highest level you can do well at and no higher.

Good luck!
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
Linda

Thanks for the reply. I will keep you posted about mr research for the MBA.
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
scorpioguy wrote:
Linda

Thanks for the reply. I will keep you posted about mr research for the MBA.

You're welcome. Good luck!
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
Re: What are my chances - Long post [#permalink]
Hello Linda, Paul

I just wanted to provide you with an update. As you can see three years have passed in between my questions to you and my first admit which came today. There were a couple of false starts in between then and now. But finally I got through a program of my choice.

These are the statuses of my apps:

1) Cranfield - Admitted
2) Notre Dame - Waitlist
3) Emory - Applied
3) INSEAD - Will apply by Mar 11 for Jan 2010 intake.

I would like to thank you for the advice that you gave me and all the infromation that you have passed to other candidates over the past three years. I was able to refine my startegy based on these comments.

Having said that I do want to get some inputs. Considering the financial situation (no loans in US for internationals, tougher restrictions for loans outside of USA etc) would it be possible to tell Notre Dame that I was admitted to Cranfield without scholarship and would really prefer to attend ND if I get a scholarship. The cost of the programs would work out to be almost equal considering that I would need to fly out to UK for a one year program while I will be in the US if admitted to ND.

Thanks
Send PM
Expert Reply
scorpioguy wrote:
Hello Linda, Paul

I just wanted to provide you with an update. As you can see three years have passed in between my questions to you and my first admit which came today. There were a couple of false starts in between then and now. But finally I got through a program of my choice.

These are the statuses of my apps:

1) Cranfield - Admitted
2) Notre Dame - Waitlist
3) Emory - Applied
3) INSEAD - Will apply by Mar 11 for Jan 2010 intake.

I would like to thank you for the advice that you gave me and all the infromation that you have passed to other candidates over the past three years. I was able to refine my startegy based on these comments.

Having said that I do want to get some inputs. Considering the financial situation (no loans in US for internationals, tougher restrictions for loans outside of USA etc) would it be possible to tell Notre Dame that I was admitted to Cranfield without scholarship and would really prefer to attend ND if I get a scholarship. The cost of the programs would work out to be almost equal considering that I would need to fly out to UK for a one year program while I will be in the US if admitted to ND.

Thanks

Thanks for the update and congratulations on your Cranfield acceptance! You can ask ND abt a scholarship, but realistically speaking the chances of you getting a 50% scholarship from the waitlist are slim. It's easier (and cheaper) for them to just reject you and pick someone who isn't asking for money. Once accepted, then they may have an incentive to offer a scholarship, but no while you are on the waitlist.

As I see it,

* You can wait and see if accepted to ND. If accepted, then ask for a scholarship. You are in a stronger position to ask for money once accepted although as time passes more and more scholarships will have been given out..
* You can wait until a few days before accepting Cranfield's offer and go to ND and explain your situation. At that point, you have no downside. You'll go to Cranfield if you don't hear and you'll go to Cranfield if ND says no. But you also may motivate them to answer you positively and get that yes when it's helpful to you. At that point also explain your financial situation.
* You can approach Cranfield now, which I am assuming is well before a last-minute deadline, but I think you could trigger a rejection at a point in time when you have the luxury of waiting I don't recommend this option.

Best,
Linda
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
Hello Linda

Thanks for your advice. I will think this over during the next couple of days and act accordingly.

Thanks
Send PM
Expert Reply
scorpioguy wrote:
Hello Linda

Thanks for your advice. I will think this over during the next couple of days and act accordingly.

Thanks

You're most welcome.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
HI I REALISE THIS MAY BE THE WRONG PLACE TO BE ASKING THIS QUESTION... BUT I AM NOT ABLE TO FIND THE RIGHT PLACE WHERE SOMEBODY CAN GIVE ME THE ANSWERS I WANT....

I HAVE A EXP OF 7 MONTHS TO DATE... I AM PLANNING TO JOIN A SCHOOL IN SEP 2010 WHEN I WILL HAVE 2 YEARS EXP. I HAVE A 9.04 OUT OF 10 CGPA IN B.TECH AND 91% IN 12TH AND 93.5 IN 10TH. SOME SMALL INSTANCES OF LEADERSHIP IN SCHOOL AND COLLEGE DAYS ALSO BUT NOTHING MAJOR.... CAN ANY BODY TELL ME HOW GOOD MY PROFIL WILL BE WITH A GOOD GMAT SCORE.... WILL I BE ABLE TO MAK IT ESPECIALLY AS I HAVE LESS WORK EXP... AND ALSO WAT OTHER SCHOOLS I MAY HAVE A DECENT OPPURTUNITY.... PLEASE ANSWER

THANK YOU
Send PM
Expert Reply
priyamishra wrote:
HI I REALISE THIS MAY BE THE WRONG PLACE TO BE ASKING THIS QUESTION... BUT I AM NOT ABLE TO FIND THE RIGHT PLACE WHERE SOMEBODY CAN GIVE ME THE ANSWERS I WANT....

I HAVE A EXP OF 7 MONTHS TO DATE... I AM PLANNING TO JOIN A SCHOOL IN SEP 2010 WHEN I WILL HAVE 2 YEARS EXP. I HAVE A 9.04 OUT OF 10 CGPA IN B.TECH AND 91% IN 12TH AND 93.5 IN 10TH. SOME SMALL INSTANCES OF LEADERSHIP IN SCHOOL AND COLLEGE DAYS ALSO BUT NOTHING MAJOR.... CAN ANY BODY TELL ME HOW GOOD MY PROFIL WILL BE WITH A GOOD GMAT SCORE.... WILL I BE ABLE TO MAK IT ESPECIALLY AS I HAVE LESS WORK EXP... AND ALSO WAT OTHER SCHOOLS I MAY HAVE A DECENT OPPURTUNITY.... PLEASE ANSWER

THANK YOU

You're welcome. Thanks for the question.

For your application to US graduate schools, your high school grades are irrelevant. I can't tell you today where you will be competitive in 1.5 years. Here are a few suggestions to ensure that you are as competitive as possible when you apply:
1) Figure out what you want to do after your MBA and steer your current work, if at all possible in that direction.
2) Make time for 1-2 extra-curricular or community service activities that will give you the opportunity to lead and assume responsibility for something you care about.
3) Study hard for the GMAT and take it by Spring 2010.
4) Try to gain some international exposure.
5) Research the schools and focus on those schools that support your goal (determined in #1) and that have lower average ages at matriculation.

For more suggestions, please see:
**Best Practices for MBA Admissions, an ebook.
** The Techie's Guide to MBA Admissions, an ebook.
**MBA Application Advice for Indian Applicants
** MBA Admissions: Advice for IT Applicants

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot