Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Student Article in Response to WSJ Rankings

https://www.harbus.org/news/2003/09/29/N ... 7124.shtml
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Harvard is often perceived to be the "most selective" business school but determining which school is most selective is more difficult than it might appear at first glance.

Harvard tends to be one of the most selective students in the world when it comes to the percentage of students accepted. However, Stanford tends to have an even lower acceptance rate. Other schools, such as Columbia have very similar rates. Further, Harvard accepts some 1000 students every year, this is far more students than many students in the Elite and Trans elite clusters such as Dartmouth, UVA, or USC accept.

Harvard tends to have one of the highest yields of any business school. However, some 100+ students turn down Harvard each year- thus more students reject offers from HBS than reject offers from other schools such as Stanford.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Some interesting stats on HBS over the years:

https://www.hbs.edu/about/mba.html
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Executive Bios

Graduates of Harvard are the CEOs of a truly impressive list of corporations as shown below. The list of CEOs produced by Harvard Law alone would put the CEO list of most business schools to shame.

CEOs: General Motors, Cardinal Health, General Electric, Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs, American Express (Law), Merck, Bank One, Sara Lee, 3M, Amerada Hess, Tenet Healthcare, Staples, Toys R Us, Pepsi Bottling, Colgate-Palmolive, AES, Schering-Plough, Boise Cascade, Sempra Energy, T Rowe Price, Meredith, Novell, Teradyne, MBIA, Zions Bancorp, Tiffany & Co., eBay, Transocean, Corning, Boston Scientific, Sealed Air, Starwood Hotels, Starbucks, Liz Claiborne, Black & Decker, WW Grainger, Anadarko, Danaher, State Street, KeyCorp, Cummins, Dillards, CSX, JP Morgan, Fannie Mae (Law), Viacom (Law), Moody's (Law), AIMCO (Law), Pitney Bowes (Law)

https://www.citigroup.com/citigroup/prof ... /index.htm

https://www.altera.com/corporate/about_u ... rship.html

https://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zht ... rol-govBio

https://ir.moodys.com/ireye/ir_site.zhtm ... m_id=46501
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Value Considerations

Est Total Outlay at List Price: 128k

https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/costsummary.html

FT2005 Value For Money: #75, #3 among the ultraelites
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Just about everyone agrees that an applicant should never turn in a less-than-stellar application just to meet a deadline. For clients who are considering a third- or fourth-round application, Abraham urges them to do their homework. If an applicant is rejected by Harvard Business School or INSEAD, two schools that are notoriously hard on reapplicants, then they may have missed their only opportunity, says Abraham.

^ Is this true?

My original plan was to apply to a program like Harvard after 3 yrs of experience, and then I would re-apply as my experience increased. However, this makes it seem like it is a one shot deal.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Porscheboy16 wrote:
Quote:
Just about everyone agrees that an applicant should never turn in a less-than-stellar application just to meet a deadline. For clients who are considering a third- or fourth-round application, Abraham urges them to do their homework. If an applicant is rejected by Harvard Business School or INSEAD, two schools that are notoriously hard on reapplicants, then they may have missed their only opportunity, says Abraham.

^ Is this true?

My original plan was to apply to a program like Harvard after 3 yrs of experience, and then I would re-apply as my experience increased. However, this makes it seem like it is a one shot deal.

Nobody knows?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
An application after three years for a "fast track" candidate seems reasonable to me. I agree, of course, with the basic logic that it makes little sense to send in a rushed application to HBS or virtually any other top school.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
An application after three years for a "fast track" candidate seems reasonable to me. I agree, of course, with the basic logic that it makes little sense to send in a rushed application to HBS or virtually any other top school.

Thanks Hjort. I figured 3 yrs was the appropriate timing.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
SOrry for all of the questions, BUT

Regarding work experience, what number does everyone use as the indicator:

1. The work experience completed prior to applying

OR

2. The work experience completed when the applicant enters the MBA program

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The same principle should be used for years of experience as for other particulars (age, years of education, number of children, etc).

I would use the numbers at the point of application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort, I know its not the right post in this thread, but are you going to be adding non-US schools or creating a seperate thread for them vis a vis the groups of ultra elites, elites, trans elites you have created for US schools. It would be a great addendum to the excellent work you have done.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've wanted to put together a collection of "Top Cluster Europe" schools for some time now. Hopefully I can get to this soon.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey u forgot about Canada! i believe in the FT rankings (since it takes into a lot of factors into consideration) and if i remember right, Toronto and York were right up there in the top 25...so maybe you could do something on the lines of BW (their international top 10).
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think the most logical pattern would be to include the programs of Canada with their natural counterparts in the North American economy. However, candidates still seem to view US and Canada schools as serving two different markets.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
yep thats a swell idea..it would make sense that you include the Canadian schools in the US threads you have already created
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
are there any stats available for how many <24 yrs old students HBS admitted last year..or maybe a resumebook available somewhere ?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2