Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:07 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Combinationsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618603 [600]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [175]
Given Kudos: 3989
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618603 [151]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 546 [109]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Send PM
Re: The letters D, G, I, I , and T can be used to form 5-letter strings as [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A couple of video explanations for this question:

"Direct" Method:

"Indirect" Method:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 997 [66]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: The letters D, G, I, I , and T can be used to form 5-letter strings as [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
The letters D, G, I, I , and T can be used to form 5-letter strings as DIGIT or DGIIT. Using these letters, how many 5-letter strings can be formed in which the two occurrences of the letter I are separated by at least one other letter?

A) 12
B) 18
C) 24
D) 36
E) 48

Let us calculate the total ways. Those would be (5!/2!) = 60.

Now since the question says "at least" let us find the number of arrangements when both I's are together. (Tie them up). so we have 4! ways to arrange such that I's always come together. 4! = 24

60 - 24 = 36.

D is the answer.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29894 [33]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:
The letters D, G, I, I , and T can be used to form 5-letter strings as DIGIT or DGIIT. Using these letters, how many 5-letter strings can be formed in which the two occurrences of the letter I are separated by at least one other letter?

A) 12
B) 18
C) 24
D) 36
E) 48

Another approach.

Take the task of arranging the 5 letters and break it into stages.

Stage 1: Arrange the 3 CONSONANTS (D, G and T) in a row
We can arrange n unique objects in n! ways.
So, we can arrange the 3 consonants in 3! ways (= 6 ways)
So, we can complete stage 1 in 6 ways

IMPORTANT: For each arrangement of 3 consonants, there are 4 places where the two I's can be placed.
For example, in the arrangement DTG, we can add spaces as follows _D_T_G_
So, if we place each I in one of the available spaces, we can ENSURE that the two I's are never together.

Stage 2: Select two available spaces and place an I in each space.
Since the order in which we select the two spaces does not matter, we can use combinations.
We can select 2 spaces from 4 spaces in 4C2 ways (= 6 ways)
So we can complete stage 2 in 6 ways.

By the Fundamental Counting Principle (FCP), we can complete the 2 stages (and thus arrange all 5 letters) in (6)(6) ways (= 36 ways)

Answer: D

Note: the FCP can be used to solve the MAJORITY of counting questions on the GMAT. So be sure to learn this technique.

RELATED VIDEOS

Originally posted by BrentGMATPrepNow on 16 Apr 2017, 07:45.
Last edited by BrentGMATPrepNow on 10 Dec 2020, 09:06, edited 2 times in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [23]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

A) 12
B) 18
C) 24
D) 36
E) 48

Required: atleast one letter between two Is

Total cases = 5!/2! = 60
Total cases in which Is will be together = 4! = 24 {Treat both Is as one}

Hence total cases in which there is atleast one letter between the Is = 60 - 24 = 36

Correct Option: D
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1762 [16]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:

A) 12
B) 18
C) 24
D) 36
E) 48

Total ways to arrange these letters=5!/2!

Ways to arrange the letters if both I are together= 4!

Ways to arrange with both Is not together= 5!/2!-4!= 36

D is the answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [8]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-03-2015
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The requirement is 5 letter strings in which two I's are not together, they are separated by atleast one letter.

Consider this as below,

(Total number of 5 letter strings that can be formed) - (Total number of 5 letter strings in which two I's are together)
=(5!/2!) - (4!)
= 5*4*3 - 4*3*2
= 60 - 24
= 36

Finding total number of 5 letter strings - DIGIT = 5!/2! (2! because of the repetition of I's)
Finding total number of 5 letter strings with I's together - II_ _ _ = 4!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Could someone help me understand how the total number of cases is 5!/2!? I don't understand the reasoning behind that.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [5]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:

A) 12
B) 18
C) 24
D) 36
E) 48

1. It is an ordering, therefore a permutation problem
2. There is a constraint
3. The constraint is an "Atleast One" constraint. so the opposite of it "none" is easier to find
4. Total number of permutations is 5!/2!=60 ways since I repeats twice
5. Number of permutations where I's are together is 3!*4 = 24
6. Permutations with constraint is (4)-(5)=36
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 83
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
Send PM
Kudos
The approach i used was...I combined both I's together,so now there are four letters which can be arranged in 4! ways.

Total number of ways 5 letters can be arranged without any constraints is 5!.

So the the answer should be 5!-4! as ...can someone help to explain what wrong i did?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31870 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sandaki wrote:
The approach i used was...I combined both I's together,so now there are four letters which can be arranged in 4! ways.

Total number of ways 5 letters can be arranged without any constraints is 5!.

So the the answer should be 5!-4! as ...can someone help to explain what wrong i did?

Hi

You are wrong in coloured portion..
When there are TWO similar letters, number of ways is 5!/2!=60..
and is 60-24=36
D
Hope it helps
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [19]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos