Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Interesting B. I also have a biochemistry degree with a 2.9 GPA. I have been working for a large firm (Abbott Laboratories) for over 5 years. As you know, biochemistry is a very tough major, hence the lower-than-the average-applicant GPA. How did you angle your GPA when applying?

I have applied to Stanford, Kellogg, Chicago, Haas, and Michigan (all second round). If I was to look at my own application (I know, slightly biased), I would say that I am a strong candidate for these schools, but I am worried about my GPA. I addressed it in every application, but I am curious as to how others did it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
tkkoh -- Thanks!!

Chris --- I addressed it by focusing on the successes in my career. I am on several patent applications for new anti-inflammatory disease therapies and was recently promoted to manage a portion of my companies largest signed collaboration. Most importanly the pervasive theme throughout my essays was my career that bridged the divide between business and science and my desire to use the skills from an MBA to carve out a career in the Pharma BD/Biotech venture capital sector. I felt that with a successfull track record of promotion and such, I would be able to easily show the reviewers that my old college GPA should be of little concern.

My strong GMAT certainly helped take the heat off as well. In addition, I had taken courses at the Harvard extension school and recieved A's and B+. But most importantly I never once refferred to my GPA as a negative, in fact I never even once draw the readers attention to it (I never talk about it directly at all). On Harvards first essay regarding the undergraduate experience, instead of pouring out excuses for my bad GPA I wrote about the unique project based learning of my college. Then in every optional essay I reiterated my dedication to academic disciplne and my expectation to be a top performer in my MBA class.

It was a pure positioning effort to prove to the reviewer that I have a proven track record of performance ever since graduating from college. My current boss and VP of Operations at my company told me to stop obbsessing about my GPA. He wanted me to instead focus on the great achievements since then to prove I have taken the necessary steps to academically mature.

I feel I submitted very strong apps to all schools and look at the scholarship offer as proof of that. I certainly hope to be in the lucky situation where I can evaluate multiple offers in the near future, but at least I can say for certainty that I am going somewhere next fall. :-D

B.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
congratulation bsmith75! It is a great relief to have a full scholarship. Enjoy your time in Boston.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey bsmith,
I know I'm a little late, but congrats on your admissions to BU. I am a chemistry major with a 3.0 and a 670 (48Q, 34V) GMAT. My GPA is just OK (but in my school good for a chem major) and unfortuantely my GMAT is not so high that it would offset my GPA. But throughout my application I chose to focus on my accomplishments and hopefully that along with my rec. letters will be good enough evidence of my intellectual capacity for the schools I applied to (Anderson, Fuqua). I was a little worried that I never addressed these components of my application as an "issue" because like you I felt like that they were not. But it is encouraging to hear how you chose NOT to focus on your GPA as an "issue" and how that was a sucessful strategy for you with regards to BU. Let's hope that this strategy continues to produce good results for you and results in an acceptance to atleast one of the two schools I applied to!!! Please keep us updated!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks green. I think you took the right strategy not adressing it as an issue. With such limited space you should be telling the reviewers everythign you did right not apologizing for something you did wrong.

Plus you and I coming from pure science backgrounds are competing with a bit smaller of an applicant pool which really helps us out as well. You GMAT is plenty strong, hitting that 48Q shows your strong techinical background. Good luck, I hope we can trade even more good news in the future!!

B.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]