Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Cranfield SOM
 Q46  V40
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
I think your plan is a good one. Definitely take some classes like that now in order to offset your undergrad graded and show your interest in / dedication to getting a business education.

Yeah, Kelley is good in marketing, but I think they also place a lot of people in corporate finance. BTW, it's not a safety school, but if you're interested in finance and are already looking at NYU, you may as well consider Columbia, too!

Scott
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the suggestions.

I was planning to look at Columbia once again some time in january.
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
Scott / Omari

I just wanted to inform you that I took the GMAT today and scored 700 (Q46, V40).

Can you let me know whether the score of 700 makes me competitive at the following B-schools keeping in mind that my undergrad GPA (from India in Engg.) translates to about 1.8 in US (as per the survey after GMAT):

Cornell
Chicago
Duke
NYU
Michigan
Kellogg

Also on further retrospective I have decided that what I want is a management program with a good finance faculty that would help me in getting a job in the Corp Fin / cmmercial Banking or help me in falling back on my consulting background.

Do you think that Columbia might be a better fit for me than Chicago GSB based on my career aspirations?

Thanks a lot.

Have a wonderful new year.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
First of all, congrats! A 700 score is something celebrate! No need to take it again. That score is more than enough to get you into the schools that you mentioned. (But remember, of course, that you still have a lot of work to do. The GMAT is just one part of your application.)

No matter what your undergrad GPA was, a 700 is great. And, a score of 780 won't help overcome a low GPA any more than a 700 does. Once your score is at a certain level, they know you're "smart enough." It comes down more to how serious & disciplined you are, which you will have to demonstrate in your essays and recos.

Re: Colmbia vs. Chicago, it's almost a toss-up. If you really want finance, I'd pick either of those over Duke (although Duke is strong overall, too).

Scott
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
quixx23 wrote:
First of all, congrats! A 700 score is something celebrate! No need to take it again. That score is more than enough to get you into the schools that you mentioned. (But remember, of course, that you still have a lot of work to do. The GMAT is just one part of your application.)

No matter what your undergrad GPA was, a 700 is great. And, a score of 780 won't help overcome a low GPA any more than a 700 does. Once your score is at a certain level, they know you're "smart enough." It comes down more to how serious & disciplined you are, which you will have to demonstrate in your essays and recos.

Re: Colmbia vs. Chicago, it's almost a toss-up. If you really want finance, I'd pick either of those over Duke (although Duke is strong overall, too).

Scott

Scott

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will focus the rest of the year on building up my profile. As I understand my weak areas are community involvement and low GPA.

I will keep you guys in loop regarding my MBA search.

Once again, thanks a lot for your advice. And a Happy New Year to you and Omari and you folks.
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
Scott

In order to offset my low GPA I was planning to take some extra course over the next few months. I was thinking on taking some accounting and business economics related courses.

Do adcomms look into where you take the course? EG. I can take an accounting course online from UCLA, UC Berkeley, Harvard etc. Or I could go to the community colleges to do the same. Does taking the course online from UCLA give me an advantage over taking it from a local community college.

Also would it be a problem if I take UG level courses?
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Don't worry too much about the reputation for the school. The main point is to show that yo uhave the smarts and the motivation to do well in any class. I'd probably recommend a classroom-type class over an online class, since it will more closely approximate what your actual b-school experience will be like.

UG classes should be fine.

Scott
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the advice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
low undergrad GPA from India [#permalink]
Hi Guys,

I've the same dilemma as the scorpioguy. I did really bad in my bachelor's degree in Chemical Engg. in India. My percentage score was about 56%. That means a Second Class position in India. I have a US masters with 3.4 GPA. If you are wondering how I got into a US masters with that kinda undergrad GPA, I did pretty well on GRE.

Now I plan to take GMAT, and I'm fairly confident that I can well in it.

But I looked at the application forms for Part Time MBA at UCLA and USC and they say that indian applicants must have a first class position in bachelor's degree.

So does that mean I can't even apply to those programs ? That would really suck. Even UCI has the same guidelines for Indians.

It seems that no matter what I did after the bachelor's won't count at all.

Any ideas, suggestions.

Should I even go for GMAT ? If I can't even apply then no point of taking GMAT even if I get perfect score, is that right ?

Thanks for your time.

Vik
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
It sounds like that might mainly be a U. of Cal. policy. (I haven't seen that at many other schools.) If you're willing to, I'd recommend targeting other schools that will consider your application. Don't give up just because of one school system's policy.

Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
>>I'd recommend targeting other schools that will consider your application.

Please do. I live in southern california, so wanted to join a part time program here. But if that doesn't work, I would surely like to try somewhere else.

I'm fairly confident that I can beat the average GMAT scores of top schools and other wow factors in my application might not be bad too.

I may not get admission anywhere in the top schools, but that would be ok.

Not being able to apply would suck.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Vik
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Start with this list if you're looking at part-time programs. Obviously, rankings only matter to a point, but this list should give you other ideas. I bet a lot of these schools will consider you for admissions regardless of your undergrad GPA:

https://www.careerdynamo.com/mba/mba_ran ... n2001.html

Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
quixx23,

Thanks for your help.

I have emailed USC, UCLA and UCI to get the exact information about the GPA for candidates from India.

USC says, I can apply.

I'm waiting to hear from UCLA and UCI.

Vik
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]