Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N!!! :banana :banana :banana :banana :bouncer :bouncer :bouncer :banana :banana :banana :banana
:band :wave :band
:musband :musband :musband :musband :musband :musband :musband
I can't express my joy for you in a better way! It's been a fantastic journey for you and boy you make us all proud :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You made it pal. You made it.

Congrats !!!!

Tuck is far better school than those you were planning earlier. You had the potential and you made it.

Congrats again buddy. Keep in touch.

Regards
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks to all of you guys..

Paul, count me as the 1st GMAT Club Tuck ambassador :-D
Carsen, it's great to see that you are still alive and checking on the forum sometimes, hope that now you're speaking spanish fluently dude.
Thanks to the others too, and continue to post to give your problems, ideas and answers because that's the only way this forum is continue to exist and to work so well :wink:
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Cool Antmavel. I'll update the list and I will see you in China!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats Antmavel..........
as Paul said it, you made us all proud. Very happy for you. Wish you all the best

:musband :musband
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Gr8 feat Antmavel....Congrats on ur admission. Enjoy and party hard !! :beer :beer :beer :beer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats man!! I also applied to TUCK (2nd round)
But got ding :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1472 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great news Antmavel.
Good to hear that all your harwork and participation in Gmatclub payed off. Good luck at Tuck!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Antmavel,

How about documenting your journey here? We would love to hear your
story. You can have as much space as you want.

This is your moment , my friend.

thanks
Praetorian
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey, Antoine

Haven't written here in a long time, but I just had to congratulate YOU. I've read many of your posts and they are all full of optimism and positive energy. You deserve this success as much as anyone out there! Have a great time at Tuck!

Good luck,

Vasil
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats, Antmavel. It's great to see that you made it finally. I do remember how much you struggled with your exams, and i'm glad your hardwork has finally paid off.

Well done, mon ami.

Arsene
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
As Praetorian said I should certainly give a more global view on my MBA journey.

For the GMAT you will find my post concerning my personal experience in the "test experience" section. I actually took the test 2 times in Q3 2004, but I ended up with 550 and then 500 ! Even lower than the first time :cry:

I was going too fast when I was testing myself through Kaplan and Princeton materials and the 3 main issues with my preparation were :
a) when I got a question right, I never took some time to be sure that my reasoning was actually correct and that the correct answer was not the result of some lucky pick
b) when I didn't know the answer or how to solve the problem I was generally checking the answer too fast, It's important to try to find the answer by yourself, even if you take 15 minutes, at least you will understand the way to solve it for the next time and you will improve your speed later
c) when I didn't know and when I discovered the official answer I was always saying "oh yeah...of course" but I never decided to do again the same problem to be sure that I understood the good way to deal with it.

After the 500 score I took 6 months of rest and forgot about the GMAT. Then I decided to study again in April, and that time I took my time with easy problems, first how to solve them correctly and after I tried to increase my speed. Another thing that help me was also the fact that everytime I was facing a problem I tried to understand what could be the key to unlock it. After reading the problem I usually took 10 seconds to think about which method and scheme was going to be the good one to solve that problem. Those 10 seconds actually helped me to save time because before that I used to run as fast as possible to find the solution but sometimes I realized that I was getting nowhere after 3mn :oops:

I got 620 and then took it again one month later to finally reach 640 with more than 30 in Verbal but keeping my good score on Quant (48). Generally speaking, you should aim for a good quant score rather than a good verbal one because most of the business schools want people comfortable to deal with numbers. I am not saying that it's good or bad, it's just like that.

I decided to apply to 4 schools that I had carefully chosen but for different reasons. You see, I will be honest, you need to have a clear, logical and interesting story to tell during any interview when you talk about your job and your future in the next 5-10 years but you can still have hesitations and you can be not sure exactly about your future. However, you must LOOK sure.

As I was not sure about my future career, I decided to focus on schools with :
1) general management and consulting possibilities
2) correct and if possible strong in finance

I applied to :
- NYU (for the excellent finance class, NY position, international environment)
- Yale (good finance, great brand name for international placement, growing MBA)
- Darden (consulting option, mainly business cases, small MBA with good community)
- Tuck (correct/good finance, great consulting placement and small MBA with excellent community/alumni connection)

Tuck was definitely my number one but it was more like a potential dream at that time. Then I took care of all the essays, it was actually not so terrible, I enjoyed writing them even if sometimes it was difficult for me. However I had many stories to tell so the inspiration was there... I ended up 1 month in advance so I became to realize that if I was going to apply I should really apply everywhere, even in the top program. Actually if you have some unusual life, many travels and you are not in the main 3 pools of applicants (indian IT/ IB / Consulting) you can really be picked by someone from top schools because they also need people different and not only Investment Bankers :wink:

Therefore I decided to apply to HBS, Stanford, Wharton and Chicago GSB. It was mainly to be sure that I wouldn't regret later not having applied there.

Imagine someone applying to top 30 schools and realizing that they all accepted him and gave him a lot of scolarships, financial aids, tuition fees...he could definitely think that he could have targeted higher...

so I ended up with 8 schools and 8 essays files ! the worst is Stanford, I actually don't like it because I am an applicant but as a school I find the approach interesting : only 2 main questions to define a profile ! quite tought.

I also want to insist on something very important: in order to know the school that would be the best for you, you should alaways contact many students and alumni from thre schools. I personnally contacted at least 4 people from EACH school, I did so from September 2005 and I kept contact until even now. It will give you some information you can not know anyway and it will also show to the Board of Admissions that you are involved and really interested in knowing very well the MBA.

All my applications were submitted at the end of december and begining of january. From that time the worst thing was actually begining : waiting time ! I never enjoyed that time because for me, as an international student with a long time girlfriend and a job in China, an acceptation meant : wedding + leave job + visa issues + loan/bank stories !!! Many things waiting to be decided 3 months later.

Tuck was the first school to contact me, I am actually living in Shenzhen and the interview was offered in Beijing (2000km away) but the opportunity was so great, I was amazed to be contacted by Tuck ! Interview was at the middle of february.

Before going there I received 2 news invitations to interview : from Chicago GSB and Wharton ! I was like crazy ! I cooled down myself thinking that an interview was nothing...

Tuck interview (AdCom) : the interviewer was a lady, she was awesome, very nice , I got a warm welcome and it was nice because it was my first MBA interview. I checked many websites before to see the potential question, I wrote my answers and memorized them. Not all the answers but the general points to develop. Tuck interview was really based on my person, the interviewer only had my resume and we both discussed my personal scoail experience but also my working achievements. I also developped a lot the contacts I had in Tuck (current students, alumni, knowledge of the classes and faculty professors) and for Tuck it was really something that worked. My first feeling was good but the interviwer told me that she felt sorry I had made such a trip (total 6h plane + 3h drive for the round trip) so I didnt know how to take that remark :wink: Something I was very happy with was the fact that Tuck is such a small and vibrant community that when I gave 3-4 names of students/alumni, the interviewer seemed to know each of them ! Very impressive !

Chicago Interview (Alumni) : the alumni that interviewed me was excellent, she studied my resume the day before and had very precise questions on my experiences and my way to manage people. I was quite impressed and I would have loved to have such classmate...I was however disappointing because she wasn't interested at all about knowing the "Why Chicago" and the soft skills. However on a business approach she was excellent.

Wharton Interview (AdCom) : nice person, it was a classic interview and she asked me the usual questions. I actually made the mistake myself, I ended up talking too much and loosing time, she didn't have time to go over all the general qestions she wanted to (my personal feeling) and there was no special link or feeling during the interview. She was not so welcoming too, just nice :-)

I ended up being dinged at Wharton and Chicago (but who ever thought I could have even been invited to interview before that ?). The funny story happened March 16th and 17th.
March 16th I learnt at 10pm that my application had been denied at Wharton, of course I was disappointed. I never thought they would interview me but after that I began to think that finally I may have some chances to get a MBA...I went back to work March 17th with a bad mood and a little worry about my applications especially if you consider that only Tuck, Wharton and Chicago contacted me, which means very selective schools, and the bottom schools never contacted me (Darden, NYU, Yale). I began my day at 7:45AM with a management meeting where we discuss daily issues, then after being back at my desk I realized I left my mobile there and that I got a missed call !!
Damned ! I quickly realized that it could only be from the USA as France was sleeping at that time and for China it was a little early for a business call. I was sure it was Tuck. I ran to the BW forum and 1-2 people began to write that they had been contacted this morning , I was so excited but at the same time I was worried to have false hopes as I didn't even know
who called me, I was just sure it was not from the China Mainland as I couldn't see the exact phone number used to call me. I even tried to call the Tuck Admissions Office :-D I was thinking that I could asked if they ahd tried to call me and if not ask some update about the situation :P Nobody was answering there, it was a friday and I didn't want to spend the weekend with a Wharton ding + dreaming situation.

BUT Tuck called back. It was the interviewer. I was IN !!!
:wave

The interviewer even asked me about personal details I had only revealed during our interview which means that she definitely remembered me or at least took notes of our conversation and used those at that time, the result was anyway excellent.

After 2 years of hard work, I was finally seeing the result...end of the journey but soon a new one will begin in Hanover, NH :war
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Excellent story Antmavel !! Altho I wudn't be able to have u as my classmate in Wharton but I do live 1 hr away from Hanover, NH. So when do u land there? If before July, then we should meet up :-D
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Very inspiring. I am sure you will feel good everytime you come back and read it.

thanks much :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Congratulations [#permalink]
I am very happy for you and I think you have earned every bit of it with l. I am thinking of applying for Fall 2007 so will get some pointers from you as I come close to the applications and interviews.

Congratulations once again. You were very determined in your effort. I can feel it all the way.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: Admitted - Tuck 2008 [#permalink]
Antmavel wrote:
Hi guys,

I will join Tuck soon :-D
I didn't see anybody saying that he was admitted into the Tuck MBA but maybe I didn't check carefully, feel free to contact me :wink:

stats (some people like it, I personally don't because I blieve in the profile and not in the numbers...) :
26 years old
International Applicant (france)
Gmat 640 (Q48V31 + E6)
Toefl (273)

Actually the story is there
https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=27631

Good luck to all of you guys

cheers

Antoine

Congrats Antoine!

I'm a Swede myself (although permanent resident in the U.S), scored 660 on the GMAT my first try, but will probably re-take it (was unhappy with my quant score). One question for you - you got admitted to Tuck in 2008 and not 2007? They admit people that far in advance?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Admitted - Tuck 2008 [#permalink]
 1   2