Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1479 [0]
Send PM
Re: Of all my friends, Richard is the person who is the closest [#permalink]
Paul wrote:
Of all my friends, Richard is the person who is the closest to me despite the fact that he is sometimes hot tempered, with a tendency for mood swings.

A) Of all my friends, Richard is the person who is the closest to me despite the fact that he is sometimes hot tempered, with a tendency for mood swings
B) Richard, of all my friends, is the person closest to me despite being sometimes hot tempered as well as having a tendency for mood swings
C) Of all my friends, Richard is the person that is closest to me although he is sometimes hot tempered along with having a tendency for mood swings
D) Richard, of all my friends, is the closest person to me despite the fact that he is sometimes hot tempered and has a tendency for mood swings
E) Richard, of all my friends, is the person who is the closest to me despite being sometimes hot tempered as well as having a tendency for mood swings

A is somewhat redundant with " the person who is" ( because we already have "of all my friends" . Besides, i remember Paul said that using preposition in the closure of a sentence is not favored --> A is out.

I cross B right away coz of the usage of "being" which is not favored in GMATland.

" closest to " in C must be " the closest to" --> C is out.

D looks fine.

E. Again, the usage of "being" .

D it is.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Agree with Lax, (D) it is. "close" also has a figurative meaning.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
"D" it is.

Paul, thanks for the treat, please correct me if I've missed anything in the post mortem!

A) Of all my friends, Richard is the person who is the closest to me despite the fact that he is sometimes hot tempered, with a tendency for mood swings
>> "who is" is not needed. "with tendency..." doesn't sound good.

B) Richard, of all my friends, is the person closest to me despite being sometimes hot tempered as well as having a tendency for mood swings
>> I think this has reference problem. Who is hot tempred? Who has mood swings? Also, "as well as" usage may not be correct here.

C) Of all my friends, Richard is the person that is closest to me although he is sometimes hot tempered along with having a tendency for mood swings
>> "that" usageis wrong, "who" is better, still will be wordy. "along with having" sounds awkward

D) Richard, of all my friends, is the closest person to me despite the fact that he is sometimes hot tempered and has a tendency for mood swings
>> Good! Has clear references. "the closest person to me", "he is sometimes X & he has Y"

E) Richard, of all my friends, is the person who is the closest to me despite being sometimes hot tempered as well as having a tendency for mood swings
>> Wordy again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Send PM
^ D ^

B) we should use "the" before closest and "being" is not preferrable

C) "that" and "along with" do not sound good to me

E) "being" is not prefferable and "having.." doesn't sound good

It is for certain between A and D. A can be tought as wordy because of "the person who is the closest to me ". "the closest person to me " in D is better.

Paul, do you think "Richard, of all my friends, is.." has no problem? Wouldn't it be better if we used "Of all my friends, Richard is.." ?
Director
Director
Send PM
Quote:
Of all my friends, Richard is the person who is the closest to me despite the fact that he is sometimes hot tempered, with a tendency for mood swings.

A. "with a tendency for mood swings" not correct as you said in your earlier post that its a breach of grammatical etiquette.
B and C are are totaly unidiomatic expression with "being and having". "that" in C is totally unacceptable.
D. :P
E. is same as B and C.

finally "Of all my friends, Richard is the closest person........." is better than "Richard, of all my friends, is the closest person.........".

at the same time, the gmat tests what the best is among the available not what would be the best among the unavailable. :wink:

So the question is ok..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Send PM
D it is.

Richard, of all my friends, is the closest person to me despite the fact that he is sometimes hot tempered and has a tendency for mood swings

-Use of commas makes the sentence more clear.
-'the closest person' is also properly used.
-He is A and has B. Right structure.

Regards,
Brajesh
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
Between A and D, I would go with A.

In D, " is the closest person to me" doesn't seem right.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
D seems correct

hot tempered, with a tendency - ungrammatical
improper use of as well as having tendency ....
same problem as in B
Correct
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
OA is B
A) awkwardly ends with a prepositional phrase and is wordy with the introduction of relative clause "who"
B) "as well as" can be used as a conjunction or a preposition. When used as a preposition, it is indeed a parenthetical element and the following verb should be singular
eg Mike, as well as Ron, is the best person for the challenge.
The above gives an example of the use of "as well as" as a preposition. In the original question, "as well as" is used as a conjunction and can be used in the same terms as "and"
C) again, wordy with the introduction of restrictive clause "that". "along with" is also wrong usage
D) "despite the fact that" is redundant and hence wordy. You can see that redundancy here: https://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ ... redundancy
"despite being" in B is more concise.
E) again, "who" clause is wordy

Whether we put "person closest to me" or "closest person to me" is about semantics. While in the former, the emphasis is on the closeness of the relationship, the latter is more about "the closest person" himself.

As for the use of "being", most people would agree that it is most commonly wrong in GMAT world but in this case it is not. This is because of (1) the redundancy in D which I previously explained and (2) "despite" is usually followed by a gerund phrase (-ing).
eg Despite being so tall, Sue wears small size shoes
You can see an example here where "being" is properly used in "despite being offered $1,000 to do so" https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... +lindbergh

For more information on the use of being, you can read Erin's post here: https://www.sentencecorrection.com/forum ... wtopic=323

Originally posted by Paul on 27 Mar 2006, 16:55.
Last edited by Paul on 27 Mar 2006, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
Paul wrote:
OA is B

cannot belive it....

Guys, i guess we all, except vipin, were :drunk while answering this question. right???????????????
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
Wow :wow
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Send PM
Professor wrote:
Paul wrote:
OA is B

cannot belive it....

Guys, i guess we all, except vipin, were :drunk while answering this question. right???????????????

You're right. :pc
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Send PM
M8 wrote:
Professor wrote:
Paul wrote:
OA is B

cannot belive it....

You're right. :pc

I think I was :sleep at that time...... :wink:
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
After reading the OE by Paul, I just wanted to :boom
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1479 [0]
Send PM
SHOCK :shocked
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
I again made stupid mistake.... :maniac
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Send PM
Got it now :plasma

but that "being" would confuse me for sure!!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts