Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Getting Too Personal on the Essay [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mfdii wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
mfdii,

Using the theme of overcoming your past as your greatest personal accomplishment is fine--no problem there. I personally would find a way to tell your story in more detail than you did in the 250-word version you posted. It doesn't provide enough detail, and I think the school would want to know more. Having a criminal record is not a deal-breaker, but it definitely needs to be explained thoroughly. I don't think 250 words is enough.

Good luck,

Unfortunately, 250 words is all the school provides and since it is an online form I don't want to risk anything getting cut off. I have rewritten the essay and removed everything that is repeated in other places on the application (eg they will know I have a MS degree from U of C). My plan is to focus more on what I learned from the experience rather then what I have done. With this approach, I feel I am writing more towards the reasoning behind the question.

There is a spot on the application to provide "any additional detail" for things I may need to explain. I am hesitent to write too much there because I don't know how it will end up presented once they print/view the application.

I have learned through my job hunting experience that I can control the damage better by getting in the door first, and explaining things after I have made a good impression. Would the interview be a better place to get in depth? How much of the information would make it back to the addmissions committee?

I do have a current student, who is also a Director at my current employer (as well as a former supervisor of mine), writing a reference letter for me. Also, I am trying to tap an Alum for any help he can provide.

Thanks for your response. It helps to bounce things off as many people as possible (everyone so far thinks I should go for it.)

mfdii,

The interview would be a good place to go into more detail. However, my philosophy is that people (adcoms) will always assume the worst about application negatives unless you give them enough facts to show them that the reality of your situation is not "the worst." So I recommend using the "personal accomplishment" and/or "any additional detail" sections to at least tell them what you were imprisoned for--e.g., why let them assume it was for a capital offense? I also agree that your reco letters will be important in establishing that you are rehabilitated.

As far as everyone thinking you should "go for it," if you mean apply to Kellogg I certainly agree. I just believe in eliminating application question marks right up front.

Good luck,
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Getting Too Personal on the Essay [#permalink]