Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sabharish, great profile. I am surprised you haven't gotten any admits, or at least gotten waitlisted. What schools are you waiting on? Also, what schools did you apply to? what is your area of research interests?
Myprofile is: International, MBa from top 25 (both Bs and MBA are from US univ), grad GPa 3.80, GMAT- taking it in April, shooting for 700+. I have years of research experience, some conference presentations, and teaching experience at univ. level. I actually applied in 2005, but did not make any of the waitlists I was on because of my low gmat (640). So, my main priority for this year's applications is to get my GMAT to 700+.
Another thing is, I will be applying as permanent resident this year, so hoping this is going to make a difference. (any insights on this?)

CPBlake, good luck on the CPa exams!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the encouragement on the CPA exam.

I always get a little discouraged when I read some of these boards and see such strong candidates getting rejected for PhD programs. It makes me think I am not competitive at all.

:?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
cpblake wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement on the CPA exam.

I always get a little discouraged when I read some of these boards and see such strong candidates getting rejected for PhD programs. It makes me think I am not competitive at all.

:?

Strong is very relative. You will never know what exactly makes the admissions say yes.

Admissions have always been extremely competitive. But again, remember that admission to the Ph.D program is no indicator of whether you will complete it. Its a long and difficult road. To be sure, you would want your Ph.D program to be challenging. No point in getting through easily. Its the longest on-the-job training you will ever get.

Praetorian
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hope to apply in Org.Behav. HRM area for doctorate. I have a BA in English and MBA, both from University of Alaska, Anchorage. 3.4/3.8 GPA's. Working on publishing a case study with my current Prof. I have major support from the UAA faculty from Profs and the Dean to get a PhD.

My first GMAT was a no-study affair, resulting in a 550 with a 5.5 AWA. Yes, you read that right... I got a 25% in the Quant! (Guessed about 2/3rds) 80% in Verbal. So, I obviously am taking the GMAT again, with studying! But, I am optimistic of a 680+ score.

I am 30 and am teaching as an adjunct a bit. Plus I have 15 years work experience in a company--over 5 years as an upper level "senior" manager, 2 years as a GM with over 150 employees... among other things.

Seeing the competition here, though, looks like it will be a long shot for a good school (U of Mich, for instance). But, I am optimistic and have a serious desire to make it happen, as well as a pretty keen sense of what I want to study/research.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guys i m interested in doing PHD in either Information technology Mangement or Operation Management.

My profile:
(A) Indian
(B) Engg graduate from IIT (Indian Institute of Technology)
(C) Masters Degree from IIT in Construction Management
(D) Working with Government of India as Deputy Secreatry in Indirect Taxes (Customs)
(E) Work ex: 3 Years in Law enforcement (indirect taxes) & 1 year in trade facilitaion and import & Export
(F) Preparing for GMAT (Hope to cross 700+)
I been doing teaching for our departmental training center.

I need some advise in how to go about it and the area i should focus.
Chao!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wonder how is everyone's prep coming along?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guys, here is my profile.
Undergrad(Currently in last semester) GPA 3.92/4
GMAT 770
No research exp.,
Will apply for PhD in Accounting.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
you have very strong numbers, which help to open doors. All the best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just submitted my first application. Within minutes I noticed a typo in one of the essays. Man.... it hurts...

How's the progress for the rest of the you?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hello all
I am going to be applying to finance phd programs, i have any idea what i want to research, and my range of schools, but i havent taken my GMAT yet, i plan to take it next week...so far i have been near a 740 range, and my ultimate goal is a perfect score (wish me luck)

I have an undergraduate degree in Economics (3.23), some RA experience, calc 1-3, lin algebra, some programming experience

I have been narrowing my school list down, but until i get my GMAT, im not really sure where im gonna apply...

Wish me luck, and i will update the forum once i get offocial gmat scores, and put togeher my list of schools......

Unfortunately, finance seems to be the most competitive b-school major

I will also be applying to some econ phd programs

Any other finance ppl out there?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i will also apply to org. behav. PhD far fall 2007.

international. 36 y/o.
B.Sc. math (93/100 probably equivalent to 3.75+ GPA)
M.A musicology (95/100 + research experience + teaching experience)
GMAT - 780 (q-51 v-45)
work experience over 6 years, 4 as a manager.

aiming for top tier schools (harvard, mit, london busines school...)

now writing some SOPs.
will be happy to get and share advice/insights.

good luck to us all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
this board is quiet... hope to see more excitements in the coming days.... in the meantime, I will be hanging out in the mba threads.

Originally posted by tkkoh on 07 Nov 2006, 18:11.
Last edited by tkkoh on 08 Dec 2006, 06:01, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
This seems like a very quiet season for phd application.... how's everyone app coming along? I have just one more app to complete. Only thing left is the finances certification.

Originally posted by tkkoh on 03 Dec 2006, 08:07.
Last edited by tkkoh on 08 Dec 2006, 06:01, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I still have two application (out of 13) to complete (deadline in January)... specifically I have to significantly customize my SOP to satisfy their application requirements.

I should complete them in 2-3 days... then I will be a free man!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have just completed my last application... here it's 2:10 A.M. and tomorrow (today) I have to wake up at 6:00 A.M... but I'm so happy! :-D

Now it's time to wait...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Enjoy the waiting game :lol: I still have one more app to submit, but may wait till Jan.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I completed all of my applications one month ago. One month waiting has already made me paranoid. I have been wondering "what if ..." all the time. What if the application package is lost? What if the score report is missing? What if I get all rejected? Most of the schools I am applying to won't make admission decissions until next April. I will be paranoid for three more months...

BTW, tkkoh, thank you for leaving a cheering message in my blog.

Originally posted by hsudk on 06 Dec 2006, 21:22.
Last edited by hsudk on 06 Dec 2006, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4380 posts