Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 805+ Levelx   Geometryx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618981 [647]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29928 [174]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [55]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [31]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A pentagon with 5 sides of equal length and 5 interior angles of equal [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I agree with how Ian is looking at this – definitely prefer this approach over analyzing arc lengths for statement (1) and solving the quadratic equation \(d^{2} – ds – s^{2} = 0\) with the quadratic formula for statement (2), as the official solution suggests.

Here are a few more thoughts on how to get through this beast!

Statement (1) pins down the radius of the circle, so there’s only one way to draw the pentagon, and the perimeter will be definitively greater than 26cm or not. Thankfully, we don’t have to determine whether it is or isn’t – statement (1) is sufficient.

Statement (2) demands that we determine the relationship between the side s and diagonal d in a regular pentagon. This will help us figure out what d < 8cm tells us about s. That’s driving the analysis. Of course, to figure out whether the perimeter is > 26cm, we need to figure out whether s > 5.2.

First, this definitely requires some good sketching! In the figure below, we label what we can to piece together a relationship between d and s. Here’s how you can determine the angles in the diagram.

1. There are (5 – 2) x 180˚ = 540˚ in any pentagon. In this case, since all interior angles are equal, each interior angle = 108˚.
2. Any central angle formed by connecting adjacent vertices of the pentagon to the center of the circle must be 1/5 of 360˚ = 72˚.
3. Each of the angles labeled 36˚ is an inscribed angle, and therefore equal to half of the corresponding 72˚ central angle.
4. Of course, we also need to use the fact that triangles have a total of 180˚, and opposite angles are equal.

Next, because the angles in triangle 1 match the angles in triangle 2, these two triangles are similar, and because the ratio of their sides is 1:1, these two triangles are congruent. Because the angles in triangle 3 match the angles in triangles 1 and 2, triangle 3 is similar to triangles 1 and 2. As a result, corresponding sides are in a constant ratio, and we get

\(\frac{d}{s} = \frac{s}{d – s}\)

This yields

\(s^{2} = d(d – s) = d^{2} – ds\)

Since we’re trying to figure out what d < 8 tells us about s, we can set that up as:

\(s^{2} = d^{2} – ds < 8^{2} – 8s\)

So the following must be true

\(s^{2} < 8^{2} – 8s\)

Re-arranging, the following must be true

\(s^{2} + 8s < 64\)

Since we’re trying to see whether s > 5.2cm, we can test a case near the borderline (s = 5cm) to get some insight.

If we assume s = 5, we get 25 + 40 < 64, which is a contradiction. Therefore, the assumption that s = 5 must be false.

Since s must be positive, \(s^{2} + 8s\) strictly increases as s increases. Therefore, any s > 5 will also yield a contradiction. Therefore s is definitively NOT greater than 5.2, and statement (2) is sufficient.

Answer: D
Attachments

OG2020 DS369.jpg
OG2020 DS369.jpg [ 44.3 KiB | Viewed 100598 times ]

General Discussion
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [14]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: A pentagon with 5 sides of equal length and 5 interior angles of equal [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
*** The following solution has been revised thanks to Ian's comment below. Thanks, Ian.

The Alternative approach to this question - since we know very little about a regular pentagon - is to try using specific numbers and more familiar shapes to assist us.
Statement (1): we can use the formula of circular area and find that the radius is 4. Now, if it were a regular HEXAGON inscribed in the circle, its side would have been equal to the radius (since it can be divided into 6 equilateral triangles), and thus its perimeter would have been 6x4=24. But since the more sides there are to a regular polygon inscribed in a circle, the larger its perimeter, then the perimeter of the pentagon must be less than 24. That's enough. Answer choices (B), (C) and (E) are eliminated.
Statement (2): As the attached figure shows, the green and the red triangles created by the diagonals are identical (that's because the pentagon's 108 angle is divided into three equal angles - opposite the same arc - of 36 degrees, so all of their angles are equal; and their largest angle is opposite the same side - the diagonal). Thus, since if the pentagon's perimeter was 26 each side would have been just a bit above 5, we'll mark all sides as 5 to see whether this is possible. Also, since the statement relates to the diagonal as less than 8, we'll try 8. If that's true, the sides of the blue triangle are 8 - 5 = 3. Now, how do we know if that's possible? The green and the blue triangles are similar triangles (having 2 identical angles of 36 degrees), so
3/5 = 5/8 We'll multiply by 5 & 8:
24 = 25
This is wrong, of course, and since the diagonal is smaller than 8 and the side is larger than 5, the left side of the equation is even smaller than 24. Thus, in order to create a correct equation, the side of the pentagon must be smaller than 5, and so its perimeter is smaller than 5x5=25 >>> smaller than 26.
So statement (2) also gives us enough information, and the correct answer is (D).
Attachments

GC_circumscribed_2.png
GC_circumscribed_2.png [ 46.52 KiB | Viewed 100241 times ]

Originally posted by DavidTutorexamPAL on 26 Apr 2019, 14:42.
Last edited by DavidTutorexamPAL on 06 May 2019, 00:05, edited 3 times in total.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Statement (2): If it were a SQUARE inscribed in the circle, the diagonal would have been (root2) times the side, so with a diagonal of 8 the side would have been 8/(root2), which is 4(root2) >>> 4x1.3 >>> 5.2. But since the more sides there are to a regular polygon inscribed in a circle, the smaller its side, then the side of the pentagon must be less than 5.2, and thus its perimeter must be less than 5x5.2,which is less than 26. That's enough. Answer choice (A) is also eliminated.

I mentioned in my post above that this solution isn't correct (or if it is, I have not correctly understood what you're trying to say), and in case it's confusing for test takers, I think I should explain. For one thing, I think there's a logical issue with your inequalities. If s is the side of the square, and p the side of the pentagon, you seem to have concluded from these two inequalities:

s > 5.2
s > p

that 5.2 > p is true. There's no way from those two inequalities to compare p and 5.2.

Nor is it even the case that we can directly compare the square and pentagon you're describing. It's true that if you inscribe a square and a pentagon in the same circle, the square will have longer sides. But we can't inscribe them in the same circle here, if the square and pentagon both have a diagonal of 8. The pentagon is too big to fit in the circle you'd use for the square.

There are other ways to prove quickly in this question that p < 4√2 (and maybe you have and I haven't followed) but that isn't enough to answer the question if we genuinely need to prove that the perimeter is less than 26, which is why I had to resort to similar triangles in my post above.
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
dng992 wrote:
your sentences dont even make sense, why would i subscribe to your exam service

"But since the more sides there are to a regular polygon inscribed in a circle,
the smaller its perimeter, [ok so youre saying more sides smaller perimeter]
then the perimeter of the pentagon must be less than 24. That's enough" [pentagon has fewer sides then hexagon, less sides, larger perimeter]

triggers students looking for solutions and seeing this

This is a typo, it should say 'larger' and not smaller.
Thanks for pointing this out, fixed!

Note also that a potentially shorter way to address stmt (2) is to notice that drawing a height in the 'green triangle' in my answer above (or the triangle labeled '1' in Ian's answer) divides this triangle into two 36-54-90 triangles. This is very nearly a 30-60-90 triangle and so we have a decent approximation for the length of the diagonal. In particular, if the perimeter were exactly 26, each side of the pentagon would be 5.2, meaning that the hypotenuse of our 36-54-90 triangle is also 5.2. Then half of the diagonal, which is the side in front of the 54-degree angle, is a bit shorter than sqrt(3)*5.2/2, and doing the math gives that the diagonal must be a bit shorter than 9 (more precisely, a bit shorter than 8.84). Since (2) tells us the diagonal is shorter than 8, and since 8 is quite a ways off from our approximation of 9, then the perimeter must be shorter than 26, which is sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [12]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
First of all, I want to thank all of you guys for the detailed answer but I feel that the method used for the second statement would not be suitable during the exam.

To answer the question we need the length of the Pentagon's sides, therefore we do not need the exact solution but just to know that given the information provided we would be able to determine that length.
I would state that the second statement is sufficient just by applying the following rule: you can determine each of the measures of triangle 1 (referring to Ian sketch) if you know the length of one side (given by statement two) and the width of two angles (which can be derived given the fact that it is a regular pentagon).
Now we know that is possible to determine the sides of the pentagon and therefore answering the question, so statement 2 is SUFFICIENT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [3]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V37
Send PM
Kudos
Is there a good solution as to why statement 2 is sufficient? Most of the solutions for St 2 is difficult to implement in test-environment.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [3]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
If you are good at trigonometry, you can use this approach

Let side of the pentagon is x and diagonal 8cm
then x=4/cos(36)
Now, if we know value of cos 36, we can find x very easily.

sin(108) = sin(72+36)
Sin(pi-72)=sin72 co36 + cos72 sin36 {sin(A+B)= sinA cosB + cosA sinB)
sin72= 2sin36 cos36 cos36 + (2cos^2(36) -1) sin36 [sin2A= 2sinAcosA and cos2A= 2cos^2 (A) - 1]
2sin36cos36 = sin36 {2cos^2(36)+2cos^2(36) -1}
2cos36= 4cos^2(36) -1
4cos^2(36) - 2cos36 -1 =0
Let cos36=y
4y^2 - 2y -1 = 0
we know cos36 is positive, hence we will consider only positive root of this equation.
By solving above equation, we will get
cos36= 0.8 nearly
Hence x= 4/0.8 =5
Now we know that diagonal is less than 8, hence length of any side of pentagon is less than 5.
Perimeter will be less than 25

OR

There is one more approach, though it's not accurate one, to find approximate value of cos36
We know cos 30 is 3^{1/2}/3 = 0.866
and cos 45= 1/(2)^1/2 = 0.7
Use interpolation to find the cos 36, and you will get value equals to 0.8

I know cosine curve in not linear, hence interpolation technique is not a good approach, but it gives nearly exact value in this case.
If you're running out of time in exam, you can use it. Otherwise i won't recommend it.

souvikgmat1990 wrote:
Is there a good solution as to why statement 2 is sufficient? Most of the solutions for St 2 is difficult to implement in test-environment.

Attachments

fig 5.png
fig 5.png [ 5.54 KiB | Viewed 96931 times ]

examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sebastianm wrote:
First of all, I want to thank all of you guys for the detailed answer but I feel that the method used for the second statement would not be suitable during the exam.

To answer the question we need the length of the Pentagon's sides, therefore we do not need the exact solution but just to know that given the information provided we would be able to determine that length.
I would state that the second statement is sufficient just by applying the following rule: you can determine each of the measures of triangle 1 (referring to Ian sketch) if you know the length of one side (given by statement two) and the width of two angles (which can be derived given the fact that it is a regular pentagon).
Now we know that is possible to determine the sides of the pentagon and therefore answering the question, so statement 2 is SUFFICIENT

Hey @sebastinam,
Unfortunately this doesn't work, as (2) gives you a range of potential diagonal lengths and not a specific length. Then you have a range of potential pentagon side lengths, and without knowing its lower bound cannot know if the perimeter is larger than 26 or not. So you need to find the lower bound by using one of the methods of calculation offered above.

Best,
David
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [14]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos