Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 727 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations. And thanks for a comprehensive post. I'm sure that will be very helpful for a lot of people. How long did you spend studying between the two gmats you took. If it's written above I apologize for not reading carefully. I took the Gmat, scored a 700 and am looking to take it a second time. Your answer will be very helpful.

Oh, and where are you applying? I'm sure your score will help your chances anywhere. Good luck!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I had ten full weeks between the first and second test. The truth is, the first few weeks I studied daily and dilligently, but not nearly as much as I had wanted. When I realized I only had four/five weeks left, I got pretty nervous, ended my social life, and studied for many hours every single night and weekend (although once every five or six days I would crash and take the day off).

I'm pretty much applying to the same top schools as most, with Stanford and Tuck at the top of my list. Really, I had no choice but to get a high score, since I have a weak academic background with no math courses. Still, I know the top schools are very competitive and look at many other factors, so even with a 740, my success is far from certain.

Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Arco GRE GMAT Math Workbook [#permalink]
I was wondering how useful you found the Arco GRE GMAT Math Workbook.

I have mainly been using it for Geometry, Word Problems and some Algebra.

I've used Crack the GMAT as well as Kaplan. Now I am focusing on both of Kaplans workbook's for the next 6 weeks which is the time I have left until the test date along with the OG and was wondering if you have any advice on how to use these books optimally.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
response [#permalink]
(1) The ARCO is a good book, but very, very basic. The math on the GMAT is significantly harder. Skip it if you are already familiar with the concepts.

(2) The Kaplan GRE/GMAT workbook provides a very solid foundation for most problems, although it does not sufficiently cover probability or permutations. Many people seem to encounter anywhere from one to three probability/permutation problems. Make sure you pick up a high school textbook, or some other source, to learn these skills.

(3) Regarding both the OG and Kaplan, there is an excellent piece of advice that I actually read in someone elseтАЩs posting on this Forum. When you get a problem wrong, return to it. Do it slowly. Change the numbers or parameters to make a similar but new problem, and try solving it. Also, keep a record of any problems you get wrong, and return to them after a week or two. In other words, when you get any single problem wrong, review it and repeat it until you understand it. Basically, if you do the problems in the OG and Kaplan, and you тАЬunderstandтАЭ at least 95-98% of the problems, you will probably do quite well on the GMAT quantitative.

(4) Also, when you are trying to solve a problem that you donтАЩt understand, take the time to try to figure it out yourself before just looking up the answer. There were five or six problems that I probably spent about twenty minutes on each, and finally I was able to answer (almost) all of them. By slowly coming to the conclusion myself, it really helped me master the process/concept. It forces you to use your own brain. Of course, this type of study depends on how much time you have to study.

(5) If you find yourself pressed for time, work backwards in the OG. The harder problems are towards the end. Remember, keep track of any problems you get wrong, and return to them. Keep studying these problems until you understand the underlying concept.

(6) Finally, it is important to consider timing in your practice and study. This is why I recommend taking as many practice quantitative exams as possible. Alternatively, when you study, you can time yourself. Trying doing blocks of twenty questions in 35-40 minutes, or less than two minutes per question. The first time I studied for the GMAT, I did not practice this type of discipline in doing the questions. Then, on my first GMAT, I panicked and ran out of time. The GMAT is not only about knowing the concepts and doing the problems, but doing them in less than two minutes each, on average.

(7) One final note: Kaplan teaches a few тАЬtricksтАЭ to solve problems, like substitution or back-solving. This can actually be helpful. There were probably one or two questions on the GMAT that I could not do the math, but using these tricks, I was able to arrive at the answer. I prefer tricks as a last resort; ideally, you should know the math and underlying concept. However, you should also be familiar with the tricks. As you do the practice problems, try using formal math first. Then, see if you could have applied one of the tricks also to solve the problem.

I hope these miscellaneous bits of information help. The GMAT is not that hard to beat. I was not able to тАЬaceтАЭ it, but through lots of study, my math score is places me in the top fifth, and my overall is the top 1%. It took a great deal of effort to learn the language of math, and to develop the confidence to tackle the math problems. But itтАЩs really just a matter of resolve and practice.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Is this true ? My score on the GMAT is also 740. However, my score is 98 percentile. There must be some mistake that ETS or this post is making !. While there can be differential percentiles for different scores on V and Q, under no circumstances can the percentiles of the final score differ !!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
revision [#permalink]
Yeah, in fact, I just good my "official" score from ETS yesterday, and the percentile is 1% different than on my print-out from the test day. My scaled scores, however, are the same. It is slightly upsetting, but so close that it doesn't really matter. My final scores are: 740 (98%), 44-V (98%), 47-Q (82%), and 5.5 AWA. Last time I had a 6.0 on the AWA, but most schools barely take this into considertation.

Congrats on your score, btw.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Alpha. That helps. Congrats on your score too and best of luck with your apps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Forget the Math, any tips for verbal? All Hail!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Verbal sources [#permalink]
What did you use as your verbal resource.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
verbal... [#permalink]
Well, my background is in humanities and writing.... so the verbal was sort of natural; my advice is mostly for those with no math background. Nevertheless, I did study a bit of verbal. I did every single verbal question (RC,SC, and the logic??) in the Official Guide. It is important to especially practice the SC. IF you practice, you learn to recognize the common mistakes. For instance, a very common error in SC includes improper modifiers; look out for this. Also, there are three 'tricks' which I applied to every RC and SC: (1) Skim the passage, then read, then skim again. (Or, with SC and logic, read it carefully twice.) (2) There are usually three obviously wrong answers, and two answers which seem correct; identify these two, and then narrow down the choice. (3) The final answer must match 100% If the answer you choose does not sound right, it probably is not. Once you identify the correct answer, it is very obviously and unambiguously correct. As a final word of advice, the best way to prepare for verbal is, assuming that you have a few months, to read! Read stuff that you normally would not, and learn to read actively, not just passively for enjoyment. That way, you hone your general verbal skill and linguistic sensibility, rather than try to memorize rules, idioms, etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks , excellent advice for those weak in verbal like me
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just a train of thought. I think ETS is trying to level the playing field and minimize people with unbalanced scores getting high GMAT number overall.

That being said, my verbal numbers in my practice tests took a quantum leap in one week. There was no magical book or sauce. All I did was started trying to develop an "instinct" for the right answer. "Feel" the author regardless of whether its RC/SC or CR.

I think your post reinforces what has been my own experience. We'll see if I'm right when I take the test next 12 days or so.....

What do u guys think?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
What did you find to be the best source for DS [#permalink]
DID YOU LIKE KAPLAN OR PRINCETON REVIEW WHEN YOU STUDYING HOW TO MASTER DATA SUFFIENCY.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is so strange, Its uncanny. I got 630 and my split was verbal-94, quant-40. I flunked bcos of the probability problems. Was lost. I have to confess that I did just 1 cursory sweep thru OG and 1 thru kaplan. But thanks, am trying again in april and this sounds encouraging.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow!!

That is a huge jump in the score 640 to 740 congrates!!!

How do you rate the quality of verbal questions on crackgmat tests?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for sharing your gmat exp. stick around and still share your application experience. tip us off on do's and don't of the appl. you will b a great asset to this club; don't leave!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts