Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 919 [29]
Given Kudos: 78
Schools:ABCD
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [8]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618685 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Scientists have determined that an effective way to lower cholesterol [#permalink]
Kudos
Conclusion:
eating whole grains can have an appreciable effect on cholesterol levels
Premises:
Scientists: Eating 3 servings of whole grain a day causes decrease in colesterol levels
Study: two grups with same initial colesterol levels. People who ate whole grains had less colesterol after 6 months than people who didin't
Assumption:
All other factors remained the same between the two groups during the study or no other factor caused the result

A) Out of scope
B) This choice questions the assumption by considering an alternative factor that could have affected the results of the study and invalidate the conclusion CORRECT
C)Does nothing to adress differences between the first and second group.
D)Out of scope
E)Out of scope
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Scientists have determined that an effective way to lower cholesterol [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Good explanation of the correct answer above--I wanted to point out one more thing about this question type. This "which of the following...would be most useful in evaluating the claim"-question is, as victorxman analyzed, an assumption question in disguise. Recognizing categories of assumptions can be one huge tool in your kit that helps you quickly eliminate answers that are out of scope, as well as zero in on the correct one.

The red flag in this situation is that the scientists NOTICED something happened at the same time, and then they drew a conclusion about CAUSALITY. It's our classic high school dilemma-- "correlation does not prove causation!" As soon as we recognize there is a causal assumption being, made, we can quickly eliminate anything not related to the causal relationship as specifically stated in the conclusion, and label it with that handy phrase, "out of scope." This assumption type will appear again and again on the gmat.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I have a question between B and C....

b) Were the two groups of people in the study involved in the same exercise program?

--- As per OE, this is Alternative consideration making this Choice Correct....

c) Can the same drop in cholesterol be achieved through medication?

---- Why can't medication also be the alternate choice to consider? If medication can drop the chlr level then this choice should also be considered?

Pls suggest...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [2]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Mountain14 wrote:

b) Were the two groups of people in the study involved in the same exercise program?

---- Why can't medication also be the alternate choice to consider? If medication can drop the chlr level then this choice should also be considered?

Pls suggest...

hi,

whenever you are evaluating something...you are just focussed to that thing only.

for example.
if john plays in the playing eleven ,the team is going to win.
suppose you have to evaluate this argument.
so in this case you will be just concerned about JOHN s importance.
you will not consider that if somebody mr.X will affect the team in the same way or not.

same is the case here in our question:
our conclusion is:
eating whole grains can have an appreciable effect on cholesterol levels.===>in this case...eating whole grain is acting like JOHN of previous example...we have to see the importance of this only.

now in option C

c) Can the same drop in cholesterol be achieved through medication?===>HERE MEDICATION is acting like MR X of previous example...so we dont want to know about this...

hope it helps...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
shaileshmishra wrote:
Mountain14 wrote:

Pls suggest...

hi,

whenever you are evaluating something...you are just focussed to that thing only.

for example.
you will not consider that if somebody mr.X will affect the team in the same way or not.

our conclusion is:
eating whole grains can have an appreciable effect on cholesterol levels.===>in this case...eating whole grain is acting like JOHN of previous example...we have to see the importance of this only.

now in option C

c) Can the same drop in cholesterol be achieved through medication?===>HERE MEDICATION is acting like MR X of previous example...so we dont want to know about this...

hope it helps...

I agree with C, but my question is - why Exercise in option b not acting like Mr X.?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Mountain14 wrote:

Pls suggest...

First of all, the conclusion is: “eating whole grains can have an appreciable effect on cholesterol levels”.

C: Can the same drop in cholesterol be achieved through medication?
If two groups take the same medication, and they have the same drop in cholesterol --> FINAL RESULTS are the same, we cannot determine whether whole grains help to reduce cholesterol or not.
For example:
A and B have same cholesterol levels at 10
After eating whole grains ==> A’s cholesterol reduces to 5
B did not eat whole grains ==> B’s cholesterol is still 10
BUT, after taking medication ==> Both A’s cholesterol and B’s reduce to 3. You don’t know whether whole grains helped A? but actually, whole grains did.
KEY word is “THE SAME DROP” ==> The FINAL results the same . It doesn’t matter how A and B did, the final results are the same. But "eating whole grains" is middle factor ==> Hence, C cannot help to evaluate the middle factor.

B: Were the two groups of people in the study involved in the same exercise program?.
KEY WORD “same exercise” ==> Exercise has same effects on A and B. If A and B take different exercises ==> The final results may be different
For example:
A and B have same cholesterol levels at 10
After eating whole grains ==> A’s cholesterol reduces to 5
After exercising ==> A’s cholesterol reduces 3 more
==> Total cholesterol reduction of A is 8
B did not eat whole grains ==> B’s cholesterol is still 10
After exercising ==> B’s cholesterol reduces 3
==> Total cholesterol reduction of B: 3

Clearly, B helps you evaluate the effect "reduction 5 points of whole grains".

Hope it's clear
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [2]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Mountain14 wrote:
shaileshmishra wrote:
Mountain14 wrote:

Pls suggest...

hi,

for example.

our conclusion is:

now in option C

hope it helps...

I agree with C, but my question is - why Exercise in option b not acting like Mr X.?

in option B:

NOW when you evaluating ....john...you are checking his importance...
so how can you check his importance...
one time you will make play JOHN and see whats the team performance..
and next time you will make the team play without john...ok

analogous of OPTION B is this case....you are removing john...and seeing the importance..with remaining team.
anlogous of option C: IF mr X PLays in the team then whether team will win .===>so in this case we are not judging JOHN...we are seeing the importance of MR X

pghai has already explained very well.

hope you must be clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Send PM
Thanks.. Guys... I guess I missed the key word of same exercise... :?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Mountain14 wrote:
Thanks.. Guys... I guess I missed the key word of same exercise... :?

Yes, It's like an example:

Same exercise:
A: X+2 => reduce 3
B: 2 ==> reduce only 2
==> X is the effect of whole grains ==> You can evaluate X (X=1)

Same drop
A: X + Y => reduce 5
B: Y ==> also lead to the same reduction 5
==> You cannot determine what X is

Hope it helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
voodoochild wrote:
Scientists have determined that an effective way to lower cholesterol is to eat three servings of whole grains every day. Studies have shown that the cholesterol levels of people who did so were significantly lower after six months than were those of people who did not, even though the cholesterol levels of the two groups had been the same before the studies began. Clearly, eating whole grains can have an appreciable effect on cholesterol levels.

The answer to which of the following questions, if true, would be most useful in evaluating the claim about whole grains above?

a) Is it realistic to expect people to eat three servings of whole grains per day? - Wrong: Irrelevant

b) Were the two groups of people in the study involved in the same exercise program? - Correct: Alternate Reason! If there's an alternate reason for lowering cholesterol, then it weakens the argument. If no alternate reason, the argument is strengthened.

c) Can the same drop in cholesterol be achieved through medication? - Wrong: Irrelevant

d) Did the study continue to track the subjects beyond six months? - Wrong: Irrelevant

e) Are most consumers aware of the different between whole grains and processed grains? - Wrong: Irrelevant
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts