Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:27 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 532 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 532 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
There are a lot of CSUs to choose from in the LA metroplex; take a closer look at CSUN and CSULB.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: California State Universities CSU [#permalink]
faifai0714 wrote:
I'm thinking of applying to CSUs for MBA. Any suggestions?

Some CSUs have low admission requirements, GPA can be as low as 2.5 and 400-550 for GMAT. Tuition for non-residents are around 10 thousand a year. But are those schools any good?

I had a 3.7 undergrad GPA, a 640 GMAT on my first attempt, and attended CSUN's MBA program. I graduated with a 3.5 GPA (wasn't really concerned with maintaining a high GPA, just wanted to finish) and have been struggling to even get interviews with firms. I might also add that most people would consider me to be highly articulate, perceptive, and reasonably intelligent as well.

I personally don't believe that a strategic or market analysis prepared by a graduate from a "lesser" school with say a 3.5 or higher GPA, versus a Wharton graduate would have dramatic differences; however, I can now clearly see the issues associated with finding jobs for graduates coming from such academic backgrounds.

Needless to say, I am now in the process of doing damage control, studying to score a 720-730 on the GMAT and also taking the upcoming CFA Level 1 in June. USC's post MBA 25 unit program is a serious consideration as well.

The moral of this story is to attend the best program you can afford, and to be realistic about the value of an MBA from a lower-tier school.
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Cal Poly SLO? [#permalink]
One of the schools I am looking at is Cal Poly SLO. Does anyone have any feelings on this program?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Been looking through the U.S. News 2008 Rankings book and most of the Cal State Programs have bare minimum requirements for GMAT scores (i.e. 500+) and other admissions criteria. I think one can expect to have to work a lot harder to network and create his / her own opportunities post-MBA.

When compared to the likes of Anderson, Haas, UC Davis, UC Irvine, USC, Pepperdine, and a host of other private universities, it may be tough to compete with a Cal State MBA. just my 2 cents.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i agree with loom
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So , If I am working and Doing a part-time MBA in cal state CSUN or CLB it is not worth for money/time?
I am in just process to know how good the cal state MBA before my admision?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
How solid are the CSU schools about their minumum 2.5 GPA requirement? If one has a GPA near 2.00 border but has a GMAT score greater than 700, does he have a chance to be admitted?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
similan wrote:
faifai0714 wrote:
I'm thinking of applying to CSUs for MBA. Any suggestions?

Some CSUs have low admission requirements, GPA can be as low as 2.5 and 400-550 for GMAT. Tuition for non-residents are around 10 thousand a year. But are those schools any good?

I had a 3.7 undergrad GPA, a 640 GMAT on my first attempt, and attended CSUN's MBA program. I graduated with a 3.5 GPA (wasn't really concerned with maintaining a high GPA, just wanted to finish) and have been struggling to even get interviews with firms. I might also add that most people would consider me to be highly articulate, perceptive, and reasonably intelligent as well.

I personally don't believe that a strategic or market analysis prepared by a graduate from a "lesser" school with say a 3.5 or higher GPA, versus a Wharton graduate would have dramatic differences; however, I can now clearly see the issues associated with finding jobs for graduates coming from such academic backgrounds.

Needless to say, I am now in the process of doing damage control, studying to score a 720-730 on the GMAT and also taking the upcoming CFA Level 1 in June. USC's post MBA 25 unit program is a serious consideration as well.

The moral of this story is to attend the best program you can afford, and to be realistic about the value of an MBA from a lower-tier school.

I don't know, why would you try to retake the GMAT once again, when you had 1) a great gpa for a top 5-10 school, 2) why would you take an additional 25 units when you're done with your MBA, 3) again, why retake the gmat. CSULA, CSULB, CSUF, can be great schools, but the reality is that you're average income for MBA's compared to those with MBA's from top 20 schools will be far less than those graduates from state schools. Personally, I would wait and apply to top schools when I had that ideal GMAT score.
GMAT Club Bot