Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good Work..PKatz...any suggestion to improve RC score.
Best of Luck for your apps.

Vivek.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 260 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nice work, Paul.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats PKatz !!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks a million for the kind words. As far as improving reading comprehension, I would like to respectfully disqualify my advice. Not because I'm unwilling to offer it but because my score decreased in that category. Any conscious effort I made to improve the score was clearly to my detriment. Basically, I'd like to spare innocent bystanders.

However there was something bizarre about this months' verbal. I obviously have a conflict of interest in saying this, but it seemed awfully easy and yet I scored as low as I ever have on any practice test. Someone else mentioned that they felt great about verbal, had averaged 720's on powerpreps and scored a 29 on verbal. I've never been so confident about my answers, and been so far off in predicting my own score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
[quote="pkatz"]...
However there was something bizarre about this months' verbal. I obviously have a conflict of interest in saying this, but it seemed awfully easy and yet I scored as low as I ever have on any practice test. Someone else mentioned that they felt great about verbal, had averaged 720's on powerpreps and scored a 29 on verbal. I've never been so confident about my answers, and been so far off in predicting my own score.[/quote]

Could you please point out specifically which portion (CR/ SC/ RC) seemed surreptitiously innocuous? Or was that a general observation? I am taking my test in a week's time and am just curious.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi there. I kind of regretted saying that because in retrospect, I might have started off poorly and received easy questions because I didn't build to a high enough level of difficulty to score well.

Alright the RC's seemed easy, and the first one I got was very short as well (40 lines). The general themes were easy to spot, and the answers were in plain sight. The problem with knowing which section was surreptitiously easy is that I don't know what I missed. If I got an answer right, and the question seemed easy then there was nothing deceptive about the level of difficulty.

I also thought I was doing very well because I got bold-faced CR's toward the end (two in a row), and figured that suggested a higher level question. Obviously not. I think that the theme to take away is that two of three February posters have gotten scores lower than they had on previous practice tests (the other guy shockingly lower). Stay intense all the way through verbal and you'll have more success than we did.

I thought the OG math was very much in line with what I saw.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
how many months of prep did it take to score this high?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Mirhaque, I studied for two months the first time I took the test and scored a 700. I took some time off and studied for one more month before re-taking and scored this.

I think that it's a lot easier to improve the math score, so I spent a lot of time studying Kaplan's basic math book. I then did hundreds of data sufficiency questions to make sure that I could answer the toughest math questions. I got some of them anyway. I think going through the last 75 data sufficiency questions in the official guide is a tremendous help. Read the explanations carefully and repeat.

There are some good problem solving questions as well but they really don't seem to be nearly as hard as the real thing. For these I recommend the all-purpose kaplan book which has some really thought provoking and tough questions. Ultimately I think a comprehensive math review is the quickest and most reliable way to improve one's score.

I should be getting my AWA's soon. It's been ten days. I'll share them when they arrive. Any other questions I'll be happy to offer my two cents.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
14 days and no official scores. Should I be freaked out!!!!!!!!????? Okay maybe I'm overreacting, but I could have sworn the proctor said UNDER two weeks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
pkatz,

How many total RC you got?
please tell me how many question in each RC ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
On the 18th day I get my official scores! A 5.5 AWA, which is okay I suppose. I wonder whether the computer or the person gave me a 6, hmmmm. I think that difference should matter.

I now have to finish college and make sure I don't botch my grade in linear algebra. But it's good to get this out of the way so that I can work for a while and apply in a couple of years. Hopefully the GMAT averages at the top schools won't be 750 at that point. I'll save my books just in case.

Moma, I don't remember how many RC questions I got. I had about three passages though. Assume it's the normal amount.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts