Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [56]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618820 [21]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3378 [6]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [3]
Send PM
Re: For each customer, a bakery charges p dollars for the first loaf of [#permalink]
Kudos
Answer: C

Cost for first loaf = p
Cost for remaining = q

S1: Cost of two loaves = p+q
Price /loaf = (p+q)/2 = 0.9p (10% discount)

p+q = 1.8p

or q = 0.8p

or 4p -5q = 0

Not sufficient.

S2: 10 = p+5q
Not sufficient.

S1 & S2:
p+5q = 10
4p-5q=0

or 5p = 10
p = 2

q = 4x2/5 = 1.6

Sufficient w/ 2 equations.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1562 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Re: For each customer, a bakery charges p dollars for the first loaf of [#permalink]
i cant get the warding of st one...........Help guys
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
Statement 1 says that when you buy 2 loaves of bread instead of 1, you get a discount of 10% per loaf.

If you buy 2, then the cost is (p+q)
Cost per loaf = (p+q)/2 = 0.5p+0.5q

If you buy 1, the cost is p.
Cost per loaf = p/1 = p

You get a 10% discount per loaf..

i.e. 0.5p+0.5q = 0.9p

or 0.5q = 0.4p

or 5q = 4p

yezz wrote:
i cant get the warding of st one...........Help guys
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1562 [0]
Send PM
Statement 1 says that when you buy 2 loaves of bread instead of 1, you get a discount of 10% per loaf.

If you buy 2, then the cost is (p+q)
Cost per loaf = (p+q)/2 = 0.5p+0.5q

If you buy 1, the cost is p.
Cost per loaf = p/1 = p

You get a 10% discount per loaf..

i.e. 0.5p+0.5q = 0.9p

or 0.5q = 0.4p

or 5q = 4p

but dont you think that the part in read is the average cost per loaf not cost per loaf
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1562 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
For each customer, a bakery charges p dollars for the first loaf of bread bought by the customer and charges q dollars for each add'l loaf bought by the customer. What's the value of p?
(1) A customer who buys 2 loaves is charged 10% less per loaf than a customer who buys a single loaf.
(2) A customer who buys 6 loaves of bread is charged 10 dollars.

general formula to calculate price

x = p+nq where n is number of loafs in excess of one

from one

original price of two loafs is = p+q

fro one i think it means

p+q = 2(0.9)p = 1.8p

thus 0.8p=q

from two
p+5q = 10

both together

p+5(0.8p) = 10

thus 5p = 10 and p = 2 and q = 1.6

what is my mistake here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I used a combination of math and some guess work.

I have seen these type of problems before and made the mistake of thinking it was E in the past. However this time I knew it was D ...From the two stems it looks like you are going to get two equations with two variables which one can solve. I just made the sure the equations weren't equal to each other when I chose D...I didn't actually work all the way through the problem.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6041 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
What would be the equations for this question?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi

In this why cant the answer be B.

We have the equation, p+5q=10

The only possible value that q can take is 1. Thus, we can get p as 5.

Bunuel wrote:
fozzzy wrote:

For each customer, a bakery charges p dollars for the first loaf of bread bought by the customer and charges q dollars for each additional loaf bought by the customer. What is the value of p ?

(1) A customer who buys 2 loaves is charged 10 percent less per loaf than a customer who buys a single loaf:

Price of 2 loaves = $(p+q).
Price per loaf = $(p+q)/2

Price of a single loaf = $p.

Given that (p+q)/2=0.9p.

Two unknowns. Not sufficient.

(2) A customer who buys 6 loaves of bread is charged 10 dollars --> p+5q=10. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We have two distinct linear equations with two unknowns: (p+q)/2=0.9p and p+5q=10, thus we can solve for both p and q. Sufficient..

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
sinhap07 wrote:
Hi

In this why cant the answer be B.

We have the equation, p+5q=10

The only possible value that q can take is 1. Thus, we can get p as 5.

You don't necessarily know that q is an integer. Dollar amounts can be non-integers.

For instance, the first loaf could cost 3.2 dollars, and the remaining 5 loaves could cost 1.36 dollars each. 3.2 + 5(1.36) = 10, which fits statement 2.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1355 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Expert Reply
dwag wrote:
For each customer, a bakery charges p dollars for the first loaf of bread bought by the customer and charges q dollars for each additional loaf bought by the customer. What is the value of p ?

(1) A customer who buys 2 loaves is charged 10 percent less per loaf than a customer who buys a single loaf.

(2) A customer who buys 6 loaves of bread is charged 10 dollars.

\({\text{\$ }}p\,\,\,:\,\,{\text{first}}\,\,{\text{loaf}}\)

\({\text{\$ }}q\,\,\,{\text{:}}\,\,\,{\text{any}}\,\,{\text{additional}}\,\,{\text{loaf}}\)

\(? = q\)

\(\left( 1 \right)\,\,{\left( {\frac{{\,{\text{charge}}\,}}{{{\text{loaf}}}}} \right)_{\,2\,\,{\text{loaves}}}} = \frac{{p + q}}{2}\,\,\,\,\mathop = \limits^{{\text{given}}} \,\,\frac{9}{{10}}p\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\, \ldots \,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\frac{q}{p} = \frac{4}{5}\)

\(\left\{ \begin{gathered}\\
\,{\text{Take}}\,\,\left( {p,q} \right) = \left( {0.5,0.4} \right)\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,? = 0.4 \hfill \\\\
\,{\text{Take}}\,\,\left( {p,q} \right) = \left( {1,0.8} \right)\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,? = 0.8 \hfill \\ \\
\end{gathered} \right.\)

\(\left( 2 \right)\,\,6\,\,{\text{loaves}}\,\,{\text{for}}\,\,\$ 10\,\,\,\left\{ \begin{gathered}\\
\,{\text{Take}}\,\,\left( {p\,;q} \right) = \left( {2\,;\frac{8}{5}} \right)\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,? = \frac{8}{5} \hfill \\\\
\,{\text{Take}}\,\,\left( {p\,;q} \right) = \left( {3\,;\frac{7}{5}} \right)\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,? = \frac{7}{5} \hfill \\ \\
\end{gathered} \right.\)

\(\left( {1 + 2} \right)\,\,\,\left\{ \begin{gathered}\\
p + 5q = 10 \hfill \\\\
\frac{q}{p} = \frac{4}{5} \hfill \\ \\
\end{gathered} \right.\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{{\text{k}}\,\,{\text{technique}}} \,\,\,\,\left( {5k} \right) + 5\left( {4k} \right) = 10\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,? = 4k\,\,{\text{unique}}\,\)

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: test
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Yawer: Yawer
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
IMO C.

Both will give equations of 2 variables, and then we can solve to get p.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
fozzzy wrote:

(1) A customer who buys 2 loaves is charged 10 percent less per loaf than a customer who buys a single loaf:

Given that (p+q)/2=0.9p.

Two unknowns. Not sufficient.

(2) A customer who buys 6 loaves of bread is charged 10 dollars --> p+5q=10. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We have two distinct linear equations with two unknowns: (p+q)/2=0.9p and p+5q=10, thus we can solve for both p and q. Sufficient..

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel

Can you please help me understand this statement?

As per my understanding p+q = 1p -10%p which will be p+q = 0.9p

But unable to understand where is (p+q)/2 coming from?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618820 [2]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Kudos