Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools:Texas (accepted) , Chicago Booth (accepted), Stanford (denied), London Business School (accepted)
 Q48  V39
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've come to believe this as well. The Kellogg analysis I posted some time ago showed that the admissions % was decidely different - if I remember correctly, < 650 was at 11% or so, and over 750 was at 36% or so. When you considered yield, it wasn't outside the real of possibility to presume a 6 or 7% accept at 650, and a 40-45% accept at 750.

I've also spoken with a student reader who was very honest about the GMAT.
He came from an ultra elite. This is what he said "I cant tell you how many people I see take the GMAT once, get a 690, and assume that's good enough. Its not."

His words. Not mine.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
ak_idc wrote:
Thats an excellent analysis Pelihu. Now I understand how you got 6 in AWA :-D

Before, I mentioned in another thread that I met two guys with less than 700 scores who went to Harvard and Wharton. As Pelihu said, they had exceptional background. One guy was a senior government officer, and won president's medal for his impeccable performance in tax collection. Another guy was a senior police officer, who was heading a 1400 strong anti-terrorist commando force, before he joined Wharton.

Besides, GMAT is the only thing we can improve on in a relatively short-term. Remaining all aspects of application, more or less are unchangeable, I think.

Thanks for the compliment ak_idc. Head of 1400 strong anti-terrorist commando force - now that is some leadership. Pretty unique too I'd say.

And you're totally correct about the GMAT being the only thing you can improve in the short-term. The only way I can improve my GPA is to get a time machine. Work experience and extracurricular involvement can't be changed in a few months without raising flags with the adcoms. Even with essays, you can spend plenty of time to polish them up to the best of your abilities, but there's no way to improve them much substantively if you don't have anything interesting and unique in your background to talk about.

I think it is just human nature how adcoms deal with GMAT scores; put yourself in their shoes. You work at an ultra-elite and you have a huge pile of apps to read in front of you, or it's the end of the day and you've been reading so much your eyes are blury. About 4,000 people have all been answering the exact same essay questions. You pick up an app with a 660 GMAT and mid-line GPA. You think to yourself, that's OK, but I have piles and piles of apps with better basic stats. You might just give it a quick look to see if there is anything truly unique that you want to add to your class, but how much attention can you give it before setting it aside and moving on? If, on the other hand, the app has a 760 GMAT or a 4.0 from Princeton, well, you might pay special attention and/or save it to read it again later. It's just human nature.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts