Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9675 [320]
Given Kudos: 38
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29907 [106]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [30]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [5]
Given Kudos: 127
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: One side of a parking stall is defined by a straight stripe that consi [#permalink]
Kudos
BrentGMATPrepNow Thank you for the solution. However, I have a doubt.
The question says that 'the length, in inches, of each unpainted section is an integer greater than 2'. According to your variables, this means 0.5x > 2 => x>4.

Now, in x(3n - 1) = (2)(7)(29)
If we consider x = 29, then 3n - 1 = 14 which implies n=5 (Option A)

Please let me know the mistake here.

Thank you!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29907 [8]
Send PM
Re: One side of a parking stall is defined by a straight stripe that consi [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Sachin19 wrote:
BrentGMATPrepNow Thank you for the solution. However, I have a doubt.
The question says that 'the length, in inches, of each unpainted section is an integer greater than 2'. According to your variables, this means 0.5x > 2 => x>4.

Now, in x(3n - 1) = (2)(7)(29)
If we consider x = 29, then 3n - 1 = 14 which implies n=5 (Option A)

Please let me know the mistake here.

Thank you!

A solution in which x = 29 breaks one of the conditions/

We're told that "...the length, in inches, of each unpainted section is an INTEGER greater than 2"
0.5x = the length of each unpainted section
So, if x = 29, then the length of each unpainted section = 14.5, which is not an integer.

Cheers,
Brent
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [12]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
We know the length of each unpainted section is an integer, so it's a lot easier to call that length "d" (rather than "d/2"). Then the length of a painted section is 2d. We have n painted sections, n-1 unpainted sections, and thus a total length of 2dn + (n-1)d = 3nd - d. This equals 203, so 3nd - d = 203, and factoring, d(3n - 1) = (7)(29). Since the factors on the left side are integers greater than 1, one of them must equal 7 and the other must equal 29 (since 7 and 29 are prime, there's no other possibility). Since 3n - 1 cannot equal 7 if n is an integer, 3n - 1 = 29, and n = 10.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
One side of a parking stall is defined by a straight stripe that consi [#permalink]
nick1816 wrote:
Length of Painted section = x
Length of unpainted section = x/2

Number of Painted section = n
Number of unpainted section = n-1

\(n*x + (n-1)*\frac{x}{2} = 203 \)

\(\frac{x}{2}(3n-1) = 203\)

\(\frac{x}{2}(3n-1) = 1*203 = 7*29\)

Since x is an integer and greater than 2, reject 1*203

3n-1 = 7 or 29

If 3n-1 = 7
n= 8/3 (rejected)

If 3n-1 = 29

n= 10

Dear experts chetan2u IanStewart

If I make \(x\) the subject in the final expression I get \(x = \frac{203}{1.5n -0.5}\) and then since \(x\) has to be an integer and greater than 4, the denominator can either be 29 or 7. However, only 7 gives an integer value of 5 for \(n\) which is the option (A).

Please help with my mistake here.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [3]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Attachment:
Screenshot 2020-08-02 at 7.30.36 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-08-02 at 7.30.36 PM.png [ 287.07 KiB | Viewed 31550 times ]

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for FREE resource (1000+ Videos)

Subscribe Topic-wise UN-bundled Video course. CHECK FREE Sample Videos
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [4]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
altairahmad wrote:
Dear experts chetan2u IanStewart

If I make \(x\) the subject in the final expression I get \(x = \frac{203}{1.5n -0.5}\) and then since \(x\) has to be an integer and greater than 4, the denominator can either be 29 or 7. However, only 7 gives an integer value of 5 for \(n\) which is the option (A).

Please help with my mistake here.

Because the length of an unpainted section is an integer, the length of a painted section (twice as long as an unpainted one) must be an even integer. So the part I've highlighted in red above is not correct: you will not get an even integer value for x if the denominator is 29 or 7. You'll only get an even integer when the denominator is something like 29/2 or 7/2. It's a bit of a confusing way to think through the problem, which is why I used a different choice of unknowns in my solution above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
What's a quick way to factor 406? I usually start by dividing by 2. So i get 203 * 2, but how do i determine whether 203 is prime or not? Appreciate if you could provide an approach that makes factoring / identifying primes much quicker..

Many thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29907 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
GK002 wrote:
What's a quick way to factor 406? I usually start by dividing by 2. So i get 203 * 2, but how do i determine whether 203 is prime or not? Appreciate if you could provide an approach that makes factoring / identifying primes much quicker..

Many thanks!

Great question.
There's no perfect way to determine whether 203 is prime or can be expressed as a product of two other numbers.
This is where knowledge of divisibility rules comes in handy.
If we know those divisibility rules, we see that 203 isn't the visible by 2, 3 or 5.
But what about 7?
I can see that 210 is divisible by 7 (210 = 7 x 30), and since 203 is 7 less than 210, I know that 203 is divisible by 7 (203 = 7 x 29)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [2]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Kudos
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
parkhydel wrote:
One side of a parking stall is defined by a straight stripe that consists of n painted sections of equal length with an unpainted section 1/2 as long between each pair of consecutive painted sections. The total length of the stripe from the beginning of the first painted section to the end of the last painted section is 203 inches. If n is an integer and the length, in inches, of each unpainted section is an integer greater than 2, what is the value of n ?

A.  5
B.  9
C. 10
D. 14
E. 29

One side of a parking stall is defined by a straight stripe that consists of n painted sections of equal length with an unpainted section 1/2 as long between each pair of consecutive painted sections.
Here's an idea of what all of this looks like.

If we let x = the length of 1 painted section, then 0.5x = the distance between painted sections.

The total length of the stripe from the beginning of the first painted section to the end of the last painted section is 203 inches.
Important: If we examine the above diagram, we can see that, IF the entire stripe consisted of 3 painted sections, then there would be 2 spaces
In general: (the number of spaces) = (the number of painted sections) - 1
So, if there are n painted sections, then there must be (n-1) spaces

We're now ready to write an equation!
If there are n painted sections, and each painted section has a length of x, then the total length of the painted sections = nx
Likewise, if there are n - 1 spaces, and each space has a length of 0.5x, then the total length of the spaces = 0.5x(n - 1)

Since the total length is 203 inches, we can write: nx + 0.5x(n - 1) = 203
Simplify to get: nx + 0.5nx - 0.5x = 203
Simplify: 1.5nx - 0.5x = 203
To get integer coefficients, we'll multiply both sides of the equation by 2 to get: 3nx - x = 406
Factor both sides to get: x(3n - 1) = (2)(7)(29)

Since we're told that n and x are both positive integers, we know that 3n is a multiple of 3, which means 3n - 1 is 1 less than some of multiple of 3
When we examine the three prime factors of 406 (2, 7, and 29), we see that 2 and 29 are both 1 less than some of multiple of 3
If 3n - 1 = 2, then n = 1, and 1 is not among the answer choices (Also, if we have just 1 painted section, then we have 0 spaces, which breaks the condition that each unpainted section is an integer greater than 2)
If 3n - 1 = 29, then n = 10. This works perfectly

Answer: C

Cheers,
Brent

MartyTargetTestPrep
If you have time, I would be so appreciative to learn how you would approach this problem. Very tricky!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
One side of a parking stall is defined by a straight stripe that consi [#permalink]