Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 926 [17]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [2]
Given Kudos: 1305
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [2]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 891
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Schools: Rotman '24
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V34
GMAT 2: 360 Q21 V19
GMAT 3: 400 Q27 V19
GPA: 4
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Freud's professional frustrations, and their political background in t [#permalink]
I got 3rd question incorrect. Explanations please. Also I wish to know the difficulty level of each question.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [4]
Send PM
Re: Freud's professional frustrations, and their political background in t [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
nityakaul02 wrote:
I got 3rd question incorrect. Explanations please. Also I wish to know the difficulty level of each question.

Hi nityakaul02,

Let me know if this helps.

Which of the following statements best expresses the main idea of the passage?

A) Freud's writings reflect a concern with politics.
B) Freud's central work is The Interpretation of Dreams .
C) Freud wished to escape the effects of anti-Semitism.
D) Freud wished to be promoted over his rivals to a professorship.
E) Freud compared the dream thought with a political writer.

Correct Answer: A,
Explanation: Can be inferred from the lines: "Freud's professional frustrations, and their political background in the growing anti-Semitism of Vienna in the Nineties, are reflected throughout his pivotal work, The Interpretation of Dreams .", implying that it was the concern with politics that also reflected in his dreams.
Other options are incorrect, since they are the either his work or the outcomes of the analysis of his dreams, and that cannot be counted as the central idea of the passage.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 891
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Schools: Rotman '24
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V34
GMAT 2: 360 Q21 V19
GMAT 3: 400 Q27 V19
GPA: 4
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
what is its difficulty level ?
bm2201 wrote:
deep31993 wrote:
Can anyone please post official explanations for this RC?

Hi deep31993,

Kindly let me know the question, in which you are facing the issue. I would be glad to help you out.

Thanks.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32899 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
nityakaul02 wrote:
what is its difficulty level ?

All questions are 700-Level.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I got correct only 3. Can anyone explain 1 and 2 ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Atoshi wrote:
I got correct only 3. Can anyone explain 1 and 2 ?

Hi Atoshi,

1. According to the passage, Freud's suppressed wish in the Dream of the Uncle With the Yellow Beard was to

A) eliminate his Jewish rivals
B) escape from political censorship
C) reverse the rise of Austrian anti-Semitism
D) secure an academic promotion
E) free himself from the effects of anti-Semitism

Correct Answer: E,
Explanation: can be inferred from the lines: "Freud's professional frustrations, and their political background in the growing anti-Semitism of Vienna in the Nineties, are reflected throughout his pivotal work, The Interpretation of Dreams............His analysis of that dream reveals a political wish to free himself from the fate of the Jews ". The analysis of his dreams reveal that he was disturbed with the growing anti-Semitism and wanted to free himself from the same.
Other options are incorrect as they do not contribute to his suppressed wish in the dream but instead are the desires wants to fulfill with his dream of freeing himself from the fate of Jews.

2. The author's references to The Interpretation of Dreams support all of the following conclusions EXCEPT that

A) politics can become the covert content of dreams
B) dreams may express unacknowledged desires in a symbolic form
C) Freud's understanding of his own dreams was subject to inevitable limitations
D) the work played a crucial role in Freud's professional career
E) Freud's writings reflect some of the political concerns of their time

Correct Answer: C,
Explanation: C is only option cannot be inferred from the passage. Rest of the options are mentioned in the passage.

Hope this Helps.
Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [2]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Kudos
Hello

GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, VeritasKarishma

For Q2, why not D ?

It's quite possible the book was considered "pivotal" after his death by historians or by the author.

During his career when Freeud was alive --> It's quite possible that during his lifetime -- the book did not play much of a crucial role if any.

No where is this distinction made per the passage and thus, i chose D

Thoughts ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 1962
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
coreyander wrote:
Freud's professional frustrations, and their political background in the growing anti-Semitism of Vienna in the Nineties, are reflected throughout his pivotal work, The Interpretation of Dreams . Political references abound both in the analyses of his own dreams that he used for illustrative purposes and in analogies he introduced to explain the dream work. To illustrate his principle that "a dream is a disguised fulfillment of a suppressed wish," Freud chose his Dream of the Uncle with the Yellow Beard. His analysis of that dream reveals a political wish to free himself from the fate of the Jews. This wish is disguised as a desire to "step into the minister's shoes," and by so doing eliminate his Jewish rivals and grant himself a promotion to a professorship. In the course of his analysis of the dream, Freud introduced a political analogy in order to explain the general principle of distortion, or disguise, of the wish in the dream work. The dream thought, or wish, confronts a "censor" in the dreamer's psyche, in the manner of "the political writer who has disagreeable truths to tell those in authority."

1. According to the passage, Freud's suppressed wish in the Dream of the Uncle With the Yellow Beard was to

i am not able to understand why answer of this question is option E, because the bold part in the RC state otherwise.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
shubham2312 wrote:
coreyander wrote:
Freud's professional frustrations, and their political background in the growing anti-Semitism of Vienna in the Nineties, are reflected throughout his pivotal work, The Interpretation of Dreams . Political references abound both in the analyses of his own dreams that he used for illustrative purposes and in analogies he introduced to explain the dream work. To illustrate his principle that "a dream is a disguised fulfillment of a suppressed wish," Freud chose his Dream of the Uncle with the Yellow Beard. His analysis of that dream reveals a political wish to free himself from the fate of the Jews. This wish is disguised as a desire to "step into the minister's shoes," and by so doing eliminate his Jewish rivals and grant himself a promotion to a professorship. In the course of his analysis of the dream, Freud introduced a political analogy in order to explain the general principle of distortion, or disguise, of the wish in the dream work. The dream thought, or wish, confronts a "censor" in the dreamer's psyche, in the manner of "the political writer who has disagreeable truths to tell those in authority."

i am not able to understand why answer of this question is option E, because the bold part in the RC state otherwise.

Hi shubham2312,

The bold part above states that Freud's wish of freeing himself from the fate of the Jews and effects of anti-Semitism, was disguised as a desire, where he wanted to eliminate all his Jewish rival by becoming a minister, and grant himself a promotion to a professorship. So E is the answer because the highlighted part above serves as how he wanted to free himself from the effects of anti-Semitism.

Hope this Helps.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Send PM
bm2201

So, in Q1, anti - semitism is like a super set and 'eliminating the jews' is a subset - so that's why E is correct.
Is this the correct approach? Please correct if I misunderstood this.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Send PM
Target4bschool wrote:
bm2201

So, in Q1, anti - semitism is like a super set and 'eliminating the jews' is a subset - so that's why E is correct.
Is this the correct approach? Please correct if I misunderstood this.

Hi Target4bschool,

Not sure if I understand your doubt. Let me try.

Quote:
Freud's professional frustrations, and their political background in the growing anti-Semitism of Vienna in the Nineties,

Freud was frustrated with the increasing anti-Semitism, which later on can be connected to the lines:
Quote:
His analysis of that dream reveals a political wish to free himself from the fate of the Jews.

implying that he was very much bothered by the condition of the Jews in Vienna, now it could that he was a Jew, so he would have suffered a similar fate, because of which he wanted to free himself, or may he was just disturbed by the troubles of the Jews. Since we are not told anything explicitly, we infer both the cases.

Now through his dreams he wanted to eliminate his Jewish Rivals.
Quote:
This wish is disguised as a desire to "step into the minister's shoes," and by so doing eliminate his Jewish rivals and grant himself a promotion to a professorship.

you are missing the word Rivals, here, which implies that he wanted to the people causing trouble to the Jews.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Freud's professional frustrations, and their political background in t [#permalink]
Hi bm2201 - question on 2b

I chose option B for question 2

Where in the passage is word "unacknowledged" inferred per option B?

I thought all his supressed wishes were acknowledged (not unacknowledged) -- because Freud is writing about it, hence i thought it was acknowledged desires and not unacknowledged behaviors.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

2. The author's references to The Interpretation of Dreams support all of the following conclusions EXCEPT that

Difficulty Level: 700

Read the Passage Strategically:

Here is an example of a Passage Map you could have created for this passage

Topic: Freud's professional frustrations
Scope: Professional frustrations and their political background
Purpose: To describe the political references

Paragraph 1: Analyses of his own dreams and in the analogies he introduced to explain the dream work

Analyze the Question Stem:

This is a Detail question, as it asks about specific references within the passage. Because this question asks "The author's references to The Interpretation of Dreams support all of the following conclusions EXCEPT that" the correct answer is the one that is not supported by the passage.

Research Relevant Text in the Passage:

The entire passage is about The Interpretation of Dreams, but the name of the work itself is found at the end of the first sentence, so that’s a good place to center our research when eliminating answers.

Make a Prediction:

All the incorrect answers will have evidence for them in the passage.

Evaluate the Answer Choices:

Choice (A) is wrong. The passage states that a political issue (anti-Semitism in Vienna) was the covert content in Freud’s own dreams.

Choice (B) is wrong. The passage details, with its example of the Dream of the Uncle, how a dream expresses unacknowledged desires in a symbolic form.

Answer Choice (C), however, is not supported by the passage and is thus the correct answer. The statement that Freud wouldn't be aware of the limitations of his own analysis is plausible but is not mentioned in the passage.

Choice (D) is wrong. The passage refers to the work as "pivotal" in the first sentence.

Choice (E) is also wrong. The passage’s first sentence directly states that political concerns are "reflected throughout..The Interpretation of Dreams."

Answer: C

jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi bm2201 - question on 2b

I chose option B for question 2

Where in the passage is word "unacknowledged" inferred per option B?

I thought all his supressed wishes were acknowledged (not unacknowledged) -- because Freud is writing about it, hence i thought it was acknowledged desires and not unacknowledged behaviors.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Please if anyone can post official explanation for question 1 and 2

Posted from my mobile device
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
jaindevaditya wrote:

Official Explanation

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

Paragraph 1: Analyses of his own dreams and in the analogies he introduced to explain the dream work

This is a Detail question because it uses the phrase “According to the passage.” All the information we need to answer this question is in the passage.

The passage’s mention of the Dream of the Uncle with the Yellow Beard is found about midway through the passage’s only paragraph.

Make a Prediction:

After stating that dreams are disguised fulfillments of suppressed wishes, the author says that Freud's Dream of the Uncle "reveals a political wish" on Freud's part "to free himself from the fate of the Jews" — namely, Vienna's "growing anti-Semitism."

Choice (A) is too extreme. This is a focus on an imagined outcome of Freud's dream, not on the suppressed wish that fuels it

Choice (B) distorts a detail found in the passage. This is a distortion of the passage's last sentence, which describes the dreamer's psyche as containing a "censor."

Choice (C) distorts a detail found in the passage. At the beginning of the passage the growing anti-Semitism of Vienna in the Nineties is introduced as a political background.

Choice (D) is too extreme. The passage states it as a disguised political wish, not a way to advance himself.

Answer Choice (E) is directly supported by the passage. According to the passage, the dream reveals Freud's suppressed wish to personally avoid anti-Semitism.

Answer: E
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
jaindevaditya wrote:

Official Explanation

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

This is a Detail question, as it asks about specific references within the passage. Because this question asks "The author's references to The Interpretation of Dreams support all of the following conclusions EXCEPT that" the correct answer is the one that is not supported by the passage.

The entire passage is about The Interpretation of Dreams, but the name of the work itself is found at the end of the first sentence, so that’s a good place to center our research when eliminating answers.

Make a Prediction:

All the incorrect answers will have evidence for them in the passage.

Choice (A) is wrong. The passage states that a political issue (anti-Semitism in Vienna) was the covert content in Freud’s own dreams.

Choice (B) is wrong. The passage details, with its example of the Dream of the Uncle, how a dream expresses unacknowledged desires in a symbolic form.

Answer Choice (C)
, however, is not supported by the passage, and is thus the correct answer. The statement that Freud wouldn't be aware of the limitations of his own analysis is plausible, but is not mentioned in the passage.

Choice (D) is wrong. The passage refers to the work as "pivotal" in the first sentence.

Choice (E) is also wrong. The passage’s first sentence directly states that political concerns are "reflected throughout The Interpretation of Dreams."

Answer: C
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts