Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618721 [18]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [3]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are being manuf [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Only B and D can catch your attention.

However, only one can be right and it is B. D is incorrect because it talks about profit. However the argument is not concerned about profits. It is only focused on including brands to increase sales. Thus, B deliberately weakens the argument by giving a reason that even if more brands are included, sales won't increase.

Thus, B is the best.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [3]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are being manuf [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are being manufactured, but we currently limit our inventory to only the eight most popular brands. We plan to increase greatly the number of computers we sell by expanding our inventory to include the ten best-selling brands.

Understand :
- we limit our inventory ( available stock with the company at present) to 8 most popular brands
- We will expand our inventory to include "ten best selling brands"
- why?? INCREASE GREATLY the number of computers we sell
Quote:
Which of the following, if true, points out a major weakness of the plan above?

- Flaw

Think:
Typical GMAT pattern - OVERLAP of groups.... I want to increase the sale of computers from my store. I already have 8 most popular computers , and now i am going to expand my inventory to 10 best selling brands. why?? I want to increase my sale SUBSTANTIALLY. But what if i get to know that the most popular are themselves best selling?? that is most of my current most popular brands are actually the best selling then including the same brands once again MAY NOT increase my sale GREATLY
.Have I made sure that both are actually different?? that is there is a minimal overlap of both groups??
Quote:
(A) The capabilities of three most popular personal computers add to be approximately equivalent, with no brand having consistent superiority in all respects.

- In this answer choice we are only considering the most popular brands and comapring capabilities among them. HOW does this choice help us ecaluate the efficacy of my plan to increase sale by include BST selling brands??
Quote:
(B) The seven most popular brands of personal computers account for almost all computers sold
- If 7 of most popular brands are also the most selling (best selling) then including 2 top selling brands may not increase my sale GREATLY. Sure it may increase but not greatly
Quote:
(C) As the users of personal computers become more sophisticated, they are more willing to buy less well-known brands of computers.

-This does not talk about a weakness in my plan. also there is a reason why "best selling brands" is used. It means consumers actuallu but those specific brands in great numbers.
Quote:
(D) Less popular brands of computers often provide less profit to the retailer because prices must be discounted to attract customers.

- "profit" is not our concern. we are concerned with SALE
Quote:
(E) The leading brand of personal computer has been losing sales to less popular brands that offer similar capabilities for less money.

-"The " that means one particular brand is loosing its market to someone else. But are we including that brand in our inventory?? WE DONT KNOW

Originally posted by AdityaHongunti on 23 Nov 2018, 04:36.
Last edited by AdityaHongunti on 23 Nov 2018, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
Send PM
Re: Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are being manuf [#permalink]
They are currently selling 8 most popular brands and expect that by selling 10 best selling brands their sales figures will shoot up.
We need a weakener.
Option B says that almost all the sales are accounted for by the 7 most popular brands hence inclusion of 2 more brands may not really have a big impact.
Hence B is the answer

Sent from my SM-N960F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
The plan here is to increase the number of computers in the inventory greatly by including 2 more brands. Choice B would be the most weakening sentence because if top 7 brands account for almost all the computers sold then it would make minimal change in the number of computers in the inventory if he includes two more brands. Hence, B is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I think here one of the major factor is that the question talks about best selling brands and not cheap/popular brand. A cheap brand can be best-selling. For example Oppo is a cheap brand in India but it is highly possible that it is one of the best selling brand
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts