Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Wharton wants to talk to me :) [#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
Just when I was debating whether I really want/need to do an MBA for my career goals..I get a Wharton invite.

Like you wouldnt get an interview with your profile...

Congrats.
Director
Director
Send PM
Buddy,

Just to remind you :)..I belong to the famous demographic..Montauk anyone ?

rhyme wrote:
lhotseface wrote:
Just when I was debating whether I really want/need to do an MBA for my career goals..I get a Wharton invite.

Congrats.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
lhotseface wrote:
Buddy,

Just to remind you :)..I belong to the famous demographic..Montauk anyone ?

rhyme wrote:
lhotseface wrote:

Congrats.

Touche. Good point.

Double congrats then.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
thats awesome news...contrats!!!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's awesome. Very strong profile. Now that you have the interview, your demographic should be less of a concern.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I also got an interview call from Wharton...is it a good sign? I mean, all the people I know of got a DING from wharton after an interview ( four of them). So what does it mean? And those folks had pretty decent communication skills......I can not see them doing anything crazy during the interview......Yes, i am happy but i am not so sure about wharton's admission process...For HBS, if you get an interview call, you are almost in. Any feedback?

Any suggestions how to prepare for Wharton Interview? Thanks
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
The questions to ask is that they have to accept someone, why not you ? Cheer up !!!

haddy74 wrote:
I also got an interview call from Wharton...is it a good sign? I mean, all the people I know of got a DING from wharton after an interview ( four of them). So what does it mean? And those folks had pretty decent communication skills......I can not see them doing anything crazy during the interview......Yes, i am happy but i am not so sure about wharton's admission process...For HBS, if you get an interview call, you are almost in. Any feedback?

Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
The questions to ask is that they have to accept someone, why not you ? Cheer up !!!

haddy74 wrote:

ha ha..... :) you are right....trust me, i am really excited but at the same time, I dont want to be over confident........any wharton specific interview tips? Plus would you prefer an on campus interview or an alumni interview?
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
haddy74 wrote:

According to Rose Martinelli when she was at Wharton (she's now at Chicago), as quoted in Montauk p.339 "we'll interview about 50 percent of the pool. We won't admit anyone without an interview". So, I think Wharton admits about 17% of their applicants. If they interview 1/2 of all applicants, and all admitted students are interviewed, that should mean that if you are asked to interview, your chances of being admitted have doubled to 34% (generalization); while if you are not asked to interview your chances for admission have dropped to 0%.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
haddy74 wrote:

According to Rose Martinelli when she was at Wharton (she's now at Chicago), as quoted in Montauk p.339 "we'll interview about 50 percent of the pool. We won't admit anyone without an interview". So, I think Wharton admits about 17% of their applicants. If they interview 1/2 of all applicants, and all admitted students are interviewed, that should mean that if you are asked to interview, your chances of being admitted have doubled to 34% (generalization); while if you are not asked to interview your chances for admission have dropped to 0%.

thanks for sharing the info. Wharton would probably offer admission to 25% (1200 out of 6000) of the applicants but the actual class would be smaller - around 800 folks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've wondered what the percentages jump to... In my head I like to think that a whole ton of people get thrown out before the interview process, and those that make it past have a 50% chance.

I'm going to keep my head buried in the sand and run with this totally unsubstantiated perception.

:)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oh and Lhotse, welcome back to the forum.

Dont ever leave again.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
I've wondered what the percentages jump to... In my head I like to think that a whole ton of people get thrown out before the interview process, and those that make it past have a 50% chance.

I'm going to keep my head buried in the sand and run with this totally unsubstantiated perception.

rhyme, your understanding is correct....Based on my interaction with current students at Wharton and recent alumni, Wharton usually offers admission to 50% of its interviewed applicants…..However, some of them end up going some where else (I am sure that you know the name of those two schools where these folks end up going)
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Copied from Sandy over at the BW forum (msg 14946). He's kind of harsh and a little difficult to understand, but he cracks me up. Basically, he says that every year Wharton interviews a lot of people that have not chance of being admitted (he calls them dead meat). According to him, Harvard only interviews people that they would love to admit, but that's not the case at Wharton.

"thanks,

I am not sure I ever said interview did not play critical role, it can, but it is more complex than that.

The Wharton numbers are published someplace,dont they usually interview X percent of all apps. and take x percent of those? Maybe accept 25-30 percent of all kids interviewed--that is the lowest percent of interviewed-to -accept ratio at HWS, and that explains, BY ITSELF, a lot. [anyway those were numbers in past years, if they have changed, someone post please].

When HBS decides to interview you, they usually would be happy to have you as member of the class, NOT SO AT WHARTON DESPITE ANY CONTRA JIVE BY ADCOM. How do I know, because each year I speak to LOTS and LOTS of kids who both felt, and were told, in official feedback that int. was fine, and what screwed them was the usual W BS, 'not seasoned enuf, did not get a sense of how W could help you . .goals and why mba unclear, cudda used more extra currics, gmat was ok but low for our class, blah de blah' FOLKS,those kids were

dum,de dum, WHARTON DEAD MEAT

e.g. kids who were not getting in NO MATTER WHAT THEY DID AT INTERVIEW.

SEE PRIOR POSTS ON THIS, AND LAME, LAME ATTEMPTS OF WHARTON ADCOMS TO WIGGLE OUT OF THIS EXPLANATION, JUST SEARCH THIS THREAD FOR POSTS BY FANATICAL FAN, who is super nice guy, some kinda W adcom, but unable to get around this.

HOW come? How come they interview dead meat? Well, reason no 1, it is good PR for school, and W does a thriving reapp business, so a lot of those unseasoned dead meaters who did get int. by W and not by HBS sorta have W as first choice next year. Resaon No. 2, it is good alum swag-- as noted, many under-employed jolly-rolly-polly back slapping alum types LOVE to interview suckers, so the dead meat is just alum meat, altho so is live meat, the fact is W just needs a lot of meat to chuck arond. Reason No. 3, who cares, once the system is set up to give x amount of interviews, folks, you are going to interview X people, and if they are dead meat, so the F what? For dead meaters, they get a chance to live in dope hope for x weeks, put on a suit, and get jazzed for one day. And I ask you? For those poor dead meaters, is that so bad, to be happy for a while, and dress up like normal people, and hide their horrid dead meat conditon,and walk among the living, if, even for a little while. HOW CRUEL it would be to deny them that, it would take a heart of stone."

https://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=10180
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sandy could have made his point in one sentence. Not very articulate...

pelihu wrote:
Copied from Sandy over at the BW forum (msg 14946). He's kind of harsh and a little difficult to understand, but he cracks me up. Basically, he says that every year Wharton interviews a lot of people that have not chance of being admitted (he calls them dead meat). According to him, Harvard only interviews people that they would love to admit, but that's not the case at Wharton.

"thanks,

I am not sure I ever said interview did not play critical role, it can, but it is more complex than that.

The Wharton numbers are published someplace,dont they usually interview X percent of all apps. and take x percent of those? Maybe accept 25-30 percent of all kids interviewed--that is the lowest percent of interviewed-to -accept ratio at HWS, and that explains, BY ITSELF, a lot. [anyway those were numbers in past years, if they have changed, someone post please].

When HBS decides to interview you, they usually would be happy to have you as member of the class, NOT SO AT WHARTON DESPITE ANY CONTRA JIVE BY ADCOM. How do I know, because each year I speak to LOTS and LOTS of kids who both felt, and were told, in official feedback that int. was fine, and what screwed them was the usual W BS, 'not seasoned enuf, did not get a sense of how W could help you . .goals and why mba unclear, cudda used more extra currics, gmat was ok but low for our class, blah de blah' FOLKS,those kids were

dum,de dum, WHARTON DEAD MEAT

e.g. kids who were not getting in NO MATTER WHAT THEY DID AT INTERVIEW.

SEE PRIOR POSTS ON THIS, AND LAME, LAME ATTEMPTS OF WHARTON ADCOMS TO WIGGLE OUT OF THIS EXPLANATION, JUST SEARCH THIS THREAD FOR POSTS BY FANATICAL FAN, who is super nice guy, some kinda W adcom, but unable to get around this.

HOW come? How come they interview dead meat? Well, reason no 1, it is good PR for school, and W does a thriving reapp business, so a lot of those unseasoned dead meaters who did get int. by W and not by HBS sorta have W as first choice next year. Resaon No. 2, it is good alum swag-- as noted, many under-employed jolly-rolly-polly back slapping alum types LOVE to interview suckers, so the dead meat is just alum meat, altho so is live meat, the fact is W just needs a lot of meat to chuck arond. Reason No. 3, who cares, once the system is set up to give x amount of interviews, folks, you are going to interview X people, and if they are dead meat, so the F what? For dead meaters, they get a chance to live in dope hope for x weeks, put on a suit, and get jazzed for one day. And I ask you? For those poor dead meaters, is that so bad, to be happy for a while, and dress up like normal people, and hide their horrid dead meat conditon,and walk among the living, if, even for a little while. HOW CRUEL it would be to deny them that, it would take a heart of stone."

https://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=10180
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats lhotseface!

Go for it...
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
haddy74 wrote:
rhyme wrote:

rhyme, your understanding is correct....Based on my interaction with current students at Wharton and recent alumni, Wharton usually offers admission to 50% of its interviewed applicants…..However, some of them end up going some where else (I am sure that you know the name of those two schools where these folks end up going)

According to Sandy at the BW forum, Wharton offers admission to about 1/3 of interviewed applicants. There is a current discussion about Wharton admissions going on there.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2