Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [417]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [75]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [35]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [9]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
monarc wrote:
A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million years ago, the Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of 36 feet, believed to be the largest flying creature the world has ever seen.

(A) believed to be
(B) and that is believed to be
(C) and it is believed to have been
(D) which was, it is believed,
(E) which is believed to be

What is the structure of this sentence? We begin with an appositive ‘a huge flying …ago’ placed next to the subject which is ‘the Quetzalcoatlus.’
The main clause tells us two things about the Quetzalcoatlus – its wingspan and that it was the largest flying creature the world has ever seen. We can give the two qualities of the Quetzalcoatlus as two clauses (done by options (B) and (C)) or one as a modifier and the other as the main clause (done by options (A), (D) and (E)).

(A) believed to be

Option (A) uses the past participle modifier ‘believed’ which seems to be modifying the noun closest to it i.e. ‘wingspan.’ But we have discussed that past participle at the end of the sentence could modify the subject of the previous clause too so we may not want to eliminate based on that. The use of ‘believed to be’ gives the impression that the Quetzalcoatlus is still alive.
For example, ‘he is believed to be the tallest man in the world’ tells us that he is alive today and is the tallest today. ‘He is believed to be the tallest man the world has ever seen’ means he is the tallest not just today but in the entire history of mankind.
‘He is believed to have been the tallest man’ means he was the tallest at one time. Now, either he is not alive or not the tallest and someone else is the tallest.
Since we know that the Quetzalcoatlus is extinct now, we can eliminate option (A). Options (B) and (E) also have this error.

(D) which was, it is believed,
(E) which is believed to be

Options (D) and (E) use ‘which’ relative clauses. ‘which’ usually modifies the noun preceding it and hence, it seems that we are talking about the wingspan in the ‘which’ modifier. But we know that we are talking about the Quetzalcoatlus.

(B) and that is believed to be

Option (B) has the same ‘believed to be’ error that options (A) and (E) have. Also, option (B) uses ‘that’ as the subject of the second clause to refer back to the subject of the previous clause. But ‘that’ is a demonstrative pronoun which indicates distance in time or space (relative to speaker) e.g. ‘That is my car.’
We will need to use the personal pronoun ‘it’ as the subject of the second clause to refer back to the subject of the previous clause. This is done in option (C).

(C) and it is believed to have been

Further, in option (C), the use of the present tense ‘is believed’ is correct because the belief is held in the present. Also, ‘to have been’ is the perfect infinitive. We have learnt that we can use perfect infinitives for things that happened in the past. The Quetzalcoatlus was the largest flying creature in the past. It is extinct now. So perfect infinitive is acceptable here.

Answer (C)
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [12]
Send PM
Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
C it will be ...

the sentence uses '' the quetzalocatlus HAD a wingspan'' the use of ''HAD'' makes it past perfect and the sentence should be in perfect unision with the tense flow....

A) ''believed to be'' does not sound right and lacks a pronoun too

B) seems right but the use of ''that'' does not substitute for the right pronoun...

D) the use of ''which was'' tries to say ''the wingspan'' and not the Q.....s was the largets flying reptile or watever...

E) same confusion...

C) has ''it'' pronoun reference and also the use of ''have been'' suits for the use ''the world has seen '' both of which are in the past tense...

any other expalnation is welcome pls...

hope that helps!

Have fun :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Agree with C as it is the only choice which introduces a personal pronoun to refer to the Quetzalcoatlus. A's participial phrase and B,D and E's relative pronoun improperly refers to "wingspan" and hence make the wrong comparison
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 884 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO C
A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million years ago, the Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of 36 feet, believed to be the largest flying creature the world has ever seen.
(A) believed to be --> believe here will be incorrectly implied as verb for subject Quetzalcoatlus because it is also in past tense as 1st verb had, making the whole sentence having a wrong meaning
(B) and that is believed to be --> that here wrongly modifies for all the clause the Quetza ... 36 feet, while it should modifies only for Quetzacoatlus
(C) and it is believed to have been -->best choice. It clearly refers to Quetzalcoatlus. Is believed here is no problem because it reflects that such action occurs in the present time. Besides, present perfect here is correctly used because the 2nd clause is also parallel with a sub-clause the world has ever seen, modifying for the 2nd clause
(D) which was, it is believed --> which here refers to the nearest noun 36 feet, making the wrong meaning for the whole sentence
(E) which is believed to be -->the same error as D

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [3]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Kudos
Yes, C is better option

(A) believed to be - incorrectly placed modifier, closer to wingspan than to reptile.
(B) and that is believed to be - ambiguous use of that, not referring to the reptile
(C) and it is believed to have been - correct
(D) which was, it is believed, - use of was and is together. sounds awkward
(E) which is believed to be - sounds like wingspan is believed to be....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3223 [6]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

(A) believed to be - 'believed' is incorrectly modifying '36 feet'

(B) and that is believed to be - awkward

(C) and it is believed to have been - 'it' correctly refers to 'Quetzalcoatlus'. 'it' cannot refer to 'wingspan' because 'wingspan' is the object of the earlier clause. So the pronoun 'it' is unambiguously refering to the noun 'Quetzalcoatlus'

(D) which was, it is believed, - 'which' is incorrectly modifying '36 feet'

(E) which is believed to be - - 'which' is incorrectly modifying '36 feet'
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [4]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Great question!

Here's my logic for which C is ok grammatically:

C: "A high–flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million years ago, the Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of 36 feet, and it is believed to have been the largest flying creature the world has ever seen."

First, let's get to the core of this sentence. Everything up to "years ago" is a warm-up that can be ignored. So now we have:

"The Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of 36 feet, and it is believed to have been the largest flying creature the world has ever seen."

Now, we essentially have an interesting case of parallelism here:

The Quetzalcoatlus...
1. had a wingspan of...
2. is believed to have been...

Since we are dealing with parallelism, we really only have one subject in the sentence: the Quetzalcoatlus. Thus, both the "had" and "is" clauses refer to the bird itself.

That help?

Brett
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I've never come across an instance where you can have two objects in a sentence and a single ambiguous pronoun. I've also never come across an instance where you can have an object and a subject of the same type and have the pronoun be unambiguous. Quite simply, the rule is this: A pronoun must clearly refer to one, and only one, antecedent.

I suppose an example would be:

"Bill gave Ted $5, and he said thank you."

Here, "Bill" is the subject and "Ted" is the object. The "he" is still ambiguous even though we have only one "subject." Although we know logically that Ted is the one who would need to say "thank you," grammatically there's some ambiguity there.

Brett
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8531 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
BKimball wrote:
I've never come across an instance where you can have two objects in a sentence and a single ambiguous pronoun. I've also never come across an instance where you can have an object and a subject of the same type and have the pronoun be unambiguous. Quite simply, the rule is this: A pronoun must clearly refer to one, and only one, antecedent.

I suppose an example would be:

"Bill gave Ted $5, and he said thank you."

Here, "Bill" is the subject and "Ted" is the object. The "he" is still ambiguous even though we have only one "subject." Although we know logically that Ted is the one who would need to say "thank you," grammatically there's some ambiguity there.

Brett

OK, so how can "it" be unambiguous here?

The Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of 36 feet, and it is believed to have been the largest flying creature the world has ever seen.

If the "it" were removed, it would be better: The Quetz had X, and is Y.

Thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Thx Raptor. Picking c is not the issue. My question pertains to why "it" in C is not ambiguous, i.e., it possesses a valid "clear antecedent" as stated somewhere in the OG; in terms of choosing b/w wingspan vs. the Q in relation to "IT":

The Q <------------------------ "IT" ---------------------------> Wingspan
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
noboru and gmat1011 -

The clause says "it is believed to have been the largest flying creature the world has ever seen."

The antecedent of a pronoun has to be clear, unambiguous, and logical. You cannot logically say "The wingspan is believed to be the largest flying creature..." because a wingspan is not a creature. As such, "wingspan" would be a nonsensical antecedent.

Similarly, if a sentence said:

"The beaver knocked over the tree, and then it ate it." --> Technically, both "its" could be considered ambiguous. However, I'd argue that since a tree cannot eat something, you're pretty safe writing this sentence.

Feeling more confident about this one?
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [8]
Send PM
Kudos