Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
By Backup Schools I mean schools that are not in your top 3 picks. It has nothing to do with the ranking of the school.

For example, the 3 schools that I REALLY want to get into are Harvard, Wharton and Stanford. However, the school that I might also think applying to us LBS either, but its not something that I dream about!

Hence, in this context, LBS would be my backup school.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
It depends...is the "back up" going to give you access to the job you want (you only need one job) and have a location/culture/curriculum that you would be happy with? I think a lot of the top schools outside of H/S/W can make one happy, you just gotta know what you want. So because we don't know anything about you or your goals, it's really hard to say if it's worth it or not for you to apply to a back up school.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
It's interesting you bring this up actually because it's been on my mind lately. I want to go to HBS, Chicago or Kellogg. With a dose of reality thrown in, I want to go to either Chicago or Kellogg.

I'm debating whether or not applying to "backups" made sense because, in the back of my mind, I feel like if Chicago or Kellogg didn't accept me full time, I'd just apply part time, and if that failed too - then I'd consider a backup. I come back to the lost income and cost when I think this way.

Then, other times, I think to myself - look your "backup" is an ivy league school, it's not like were talking University of Pheonix Online here - sure, its no GSB, but it's still a darn good school and you'll still get opportunities of it, and anyway you don't want to go to IB and MC routes anyway - so who cares if Bain and McKinsey recruit at GSB but not at school X or Y?

I go back and forth a lot on this subject. In the end, I'm just hoping I get into my top three choices and then I don't really have to try and decide anything!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
And Cornell Ryme? What you doing out there then?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
And Cornell Ryme? What you doing out there then?

It's only something I've recently struggled with - so my decision to apply to Cornell was prior to these doubts creeping into my head. That being said, this is Cornell - Cornell - an ivy league school, it's a great institution.

So why am I here?

Because in the end, I'd probably be happy here. I'd get a great education from a top school and I'd likely enjoy every minute of it.

What I struggle with is this - would I rather go to Cornell or postpone a year. Three months ago, I would NEVER have considered postponing - now, I'm not as sure. My experience at the GSB was so amazing that I MIGHT be prepared to wait another year and try again.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well... Lets here about your day at Cornell tomorrow... Its pretty nice out there. Super friendly and a nice environment. Though the students seemed a bit sharper at Dartmouth today.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
Well... Lets here about your day at Cornell tomorrow... Its pretty nice out there. Super friendly and a nice environment. Though the students seemed a bit sharper at Dartmouth today.

The students I met today at Cornell were awesome - they were all very nice. One was a bit intimidating - hard to describe - I found him a little "look down on you" - but the others I met were about as down to earth as you can get.

So far, the trip is fabulous, I'm enjoying my hotel room run by pimple laden 18 year old freshman, and the campus is amazingly beautiful, swgotz didn't try and rape me or kill me tonight, and the students have been nice!

That being said I found Sage Hall (granted I have a lot more to see) pretty sterile and uninviting from the inside - architecturally speaking it's having a seizure. The exterior and interior are at war with each other.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I didn't find that any of them looked down on me... they seemed super eager to meet me. In the Strategy class I visited it seemed like there were a number of stars but also a number who didn't contribute and didnt have anything insightful to say when they were called out for not contributing. Dartmouth seemed to have a larger share of contributors in the Media Communications class I visited today. Both classes were core classes. I'm sure it is a bit different in the electives.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
To see what I mean about hte interior:

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... &start=120
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:

So far, the trip is fabulous, I'm enjoying my hotel room run by pimple laden 18 year old freshman, and the campus is amazingly beautiful, swgotz didn't try and rape me or kill me tonight, and the students have been nice!

I'm not sure I like my name, pimply freshman and the word "rape" used in the same sentence! ;-)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]