Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 451 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Re: Got 650 [#permalink]
anandnk wrote:
I took the GMAT today and scored 650. Q=47 and V=34. I was doing great in Verbal till I hit 2 back to back RCs. One RC that got at the end was 85 lines. In the middle it was 75 lines long. The SCs and CRs were ok. I believe I scored well in those areas.

I am little upset about my performance. I definitely would say that RC got me. I had not practiced enough and did not manage my time well.

In Quant I got 2 standard deviation questions and one probability question.

I am not sure if I will retake the test. I will try with my present score and make a good case.
My PP scores were 700 and 690.

Hi Anand

Allow me to say a few words

The last word is that you are not happy with the score. so let me try to see how i can help.I have followed your posts a lot and you have been a great contributor.

GMATClub has decided to give you a LSAT Preparation book for no charge as a token of our support. This will help you practice on your reading comprehension and critical reasoning skills. That is the confidence we have in your ability to do much better. The book is the official LSAT PREP TESTS from LSAC. if you can email us your address, the book will be there at your place within three or four days. :)

We have two of them.

1. Ten official LSAT preptests from LSAC
2. Ten MORE official LSAT preptests from LSAC

Both books have disclosed Actual LSATS. these only have answers, but you can post the tough ones here and we can have a discussion.

If you already have BOTH the LSAT books, let us know in what other way we can help.

As for the GMAT Score, Let me give you some examples.

1. My good friend and gmatclub member Vicky - 640 in 2nd attempt , 730 in his third attempt . read the post from vicky here.

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ight=vicky

2. Another friend - 650 in 1st attempt, 760 in second

3. BB started off in the low 600's and eventually scored 750.

you deserve more. Dont let a bad day disturb you too much. of course, i can never feel what you are going through. GMATClub is there and will be there for supporting anyone who wants to work hard. We would request you to consider taking it again. Please do not take a very long break from your preparation. We will always welcome you here.

Do let us know your home address.

Regards
Praetorian and BB
GMATClub.com

Originally posted by Praetorian on 03 Mar 2004, 16:09.
Last edited by Praetorian on 03 Mar 2004, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GREAT JOB.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Anand,
650 is a great score for a first attempt...but I'am pretty sure you belong to the 700 club.If you are not applying for this year...there is every reason to take the GMAT again.

You deserve more than this.

Vivek.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi friends,

Thank you so much for your comments. You definitely cheered me up. I am so much grateful to everyone of you.

My special thanks to
stoolfi, stolyar, praetorian, paul, dj, bb, vivek, rakesh, surat, shubhangi, pitts20042006, and asandeep.

At the end I would like to thank kpadma. He has been my study partner and has contributed a lot to my SC/CR skills. We had very interesting chats almost everyday analyzing many posts. I wish I had found him couple of months earlier.

I will be around and continue to contribute. It will take couple of weeks for me to get over this. I will definitely consider retaking the test.
Since I and my wife are working and with a small baby will make it little difficult.
You have been very supportive and I hope in a short time I will be able to turn things around.

I am editing my post because I forgot to thank pitts20042006

Originally posted by anandnk on 03 Mar 2004, 18:15.
Last edited by anandnk on 04 Mar 2004, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Don't worry Anandbhai. It is doable. I have a similar profile (married, kids, rusty mind, age catching up .....:-) ) but don't worry, hang on. Get the free gift given by CEO and add to that the LSAT/GRE CD's of Kaplan and others. I am always ready to help. Apps season is still off so go ahead with practice !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Anandnk,

I can understand your pain but I also know you can do it. Please don't give up! Praetorian is right with his offer; I believe LSAT practice will help you a lot with RC. Your posts have been very helpful and I've learnt a lot from posters like you.

Hang in there buddy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Scary [#permalink]
Hi Anandnk,

Congratulations on good score though I believe you deserved more.
I have seen the quality of your posts and your ability to solve the problems very logically. I believe you need more practice than anything else and please do try to take GMAT again to get 700+.
I am really scared of this test as person of anandnk's caliber is having difficulty, I am not sure what's fate of lesser mortals like me who is out of touch with any academic related activities for more than 10 years and trying to get a decent score for a top 10 part time program.
Anandnk, please continue to post your answers and explanations as they are very valuable to many readers here like me.
Thanks again for your contributions so far.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Firstly CONGRATULATIONS on a good score.

As said above by many, going by the quality of your posts you definitely seem to be destined for a much higher score and I would like to join the club rooting for you to take the exam again with a bit more preparation and luck backing you.

There are quite a few good links to combat RC in this forum - articles to read and such. Go through them.

Keep posting and contributing to the forum.

Also, if you choose not to retake the exam, I really hope that you get admitted to the school you desire.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good score anandnk. I was wondering why anandnk hasn't replied to any of the verbal questions. Then, I hit upon this thread. All the best with your apps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Anand,
There's nothing to be disappointed. 650 is great score for a first attempt. You helped me a lot in my preparation. Unfortunately, I have been busy with the applications and thus have not participated lately in any discussions.

Take a break. Reorganize and take another shot.
Whatever happens - Don't give up.

Cheers,
Sandeep
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Anand,

YOU can definitely do better, and if you retake it I AM SURE YOU WILL. Thanks to you, and many others, I have understood a few more concepts and hopefully will use them during the real thing in less then a months. Take some rest, and if when you are ready, you'll retake it. Other then that, I believe that you definitely belong to the 700 club, just as Paul said. GOOD LUCK
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Got 650 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
anandnk wrote:
I took the GMAT today and scored 650. Q=47 and V=34. I was doing great in Verbal till I hit 2 back to back RCs. One RC that got at the end was 85 lines. In the middle it was 75 lines long. The SCs and CRs were ok. I believe I scored well in those areas.

I am little upset about my performance. I definitely would say that RC got me. I had not practiced enough and did not manage my time well.

In Quant I got 2 standard deviation questions and one probability question.

I am not sure if I will retake the test. I will try with my present score and make a good case.
My PP scores were 700 and 690.

I am sure you are sick of this whole thing, but a Man like you deserves at least 700 :) - I will write GMAC a letter with a complaint that their scores are not representative of anything, except maybe one's ability to stay in the same small noisy room for 4 hours staring at the screen?

Hopefully none of us will get a job like that, so why are we taking a test like that?

-=-=
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi bb,

Thanks for your support. What can I say. it was a bad day for me. I recalled lot of problems in Quant section. I have done 6 silly mistakes.
I am sure that is the case in verbal too. Quant I finished 25 minutes early. But RCs got me for sure. I have gather myself and I will give another try for sure. Right now I am focussing on RCs and when I start cracking them I will definitely share with everyone.

Anand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
anandnk wrote:
Hi bb,

Thanks for your support. What can I say. it was a bad day for me. I recalled lot of problems in Quant section. I have done 6 silly mistakes.
I am sure that is the case in verbal too. Quant I finished 25 minutes early. But RCs got me for sure. I have gather myself and I will give another try for sure. Right now I am focussing on RCs and when I start cracking them I will definitely share with everyone.

Anand.

Hi Anand,

Me ...new to the Forum, new to the GMAT stuff and only into quant right now. Buddy ur replies are awesome in quant......

I think GMAT is just a formatted test. A good day can shift ur score by atleast 80-100 points. Understood this when i asked a guy how did he score 800.

quoting his words here

"Well, I REALLY REALLY believe that after a point, the GMAT score becomes only a hygiene factor, and therefore the rest of your application takes precedence over your GMAT score.

Also, I really don't think the GMAT tests one's IQ. It's a standardized test, and like all standardised tests, it can be beaten. I personally believe that there is a range of scores 30-40 marks either way from your mean score that you can get in a particular test. So, I would think that an 800 is no different than a 720 on a particular date (If one performs at +40 while the other at -40). This deviation can be ascribed to luck and therefore, I don't think one can do much about this. I was just lucky on that day, and you should not read too much into the score."

So, I think go for it again.

All the Best !!!!

cheers
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
anandnk wrote:
Hi bb,

Anand.

Man, I agree, you rock the Math/Quant part, but finishing 25 minutes early is not very good - you could have spent more time just checking things, and unless you got 51 or 60 on the Quant, I would use that time to double check the answers and perhaps relax a bit?
You got Q47 and that's pretty good, but I think you can at least get my result at minimum - 49. I do very badly on Probabilities :oops: and you just rock pretty much everything.

I would very relaxed on the Quant part if I were you and would save my strength and concentration for the verbal. I guess you know the misery of spending 4 hours at the test center and it is a good thing to practice that.

Personally, I very strongly recommend reading books, just fiction and such - helped me a lot with CR and RC.

-Bogdan
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Virtual wrote:
anandnk wrote:
Hi bb,

Anand.

Hi Anand,

Me ...new to the Forum, new to the GMAT stuff and only into quant right now. Buddy ur replies are awesome in quant......

I think GMAT is just a formatted test. A good day can shift ur score by atleast 80-100 points. Understood this when i asked a guy how did he score 800.

quoting his words here

"Well, I REALLY REALLY believe that after a point, the GMAT score becomes only a hygiene factor, and therefore the rest of your application takes precedence over your GMAT score.

Also, I really don't think the GMAT tests one's IQ. It's a standardized test, and like all standardised tests, it can be beaten. I personally believe that there is a range of scores 30-40 marks either way from your mean score that you can get in a particular test. So, I would think that an 800 is no different than a 720 on a particular date (If one performs at +40 while the other at -40). This deviation can be ascribed to luck and therefore, I don't think one can do much about this. I was just lucky on that day, and you should not read too much into the score."

So, I think go for it again.

All the Best !!!!

cheers

Virtual, I agree with and just wanted to add, that GMAT is a test and a large part of it is complying with regulations/rules/etc.

Yesterday I was taking a stupid MS Word Exam (my school requires us to do that before graduation). Anyway, the test is extremely easy but some people failed simply because they used a shortcut instead of the Task Pane or because they were clicking around.

It is important to nail the regulations down. For example how can you explain me getting 49 on quant and Anundnk 47 if he is much better than I in most of the math? It is little things that eventually add up to a significant difference.

I have seen so many disparities in GMAT that I would not take it personally . I am a living proof of it :)))))))

-Bogdan
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts