Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Comparisonsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 219 [158]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3801 [15]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [5]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 219 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Unlike a funded pension system, in which contributions are invested to [#permalink]
But in this case we am compare the funded pension system v/s the pay as you go approach. Whereas in E i compare the funded pension system with the Social Security. So how does it qualify as a logical comparison?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 726 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Unlike a funded pension system, in which contributions are invested to [#permalink]
Kudos
pawan82 wrote:
But in this case we am compare the funded pension system v/s the pay as you go approach. Whereas in E i compare the funded pension system with the Social Security. So how does it qualify as a logical comparison?

thats bcoz ur comparing social security system with funded pension system..........................the sentence is talking about comparing tw systems here.......................we cannot compare one system with the
the payment approach of another system.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5010 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
pawan82 wrote:
But in this case we am compare the funded pension system v/s the pay as you go [b]approach. Whereas in E i compare the [/b]funded pension system with the Social Security. So how does it qualify as a logical comparison?

You are comparing a system to an approach. In order to answer this question, you must know that Social Security is a type of pension system. Therefore, E compares two systems. It is similar to comparing a cat's meow to a dog. The meow cannot be compared to the dog.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1237 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
Unlike a funded pension system, in which contributions are invested to pay future beneficiaries, a pay-as-you-go approach is the foundation of Social Security.
(A) a pay-as-you-go approach is the foundation of Social Security
(B) the foundation of Social Security is a pay-as-you-go approach
(C) the approach of Social Security is pay-as-you-go
(D) Social Security’s approach is pay-as-you-go
(E) Social Security is founded on a pay-as-you-go approach

I think that this SC is tricky b/c at first glance you think you should be comparing X (a funded pension system) with Y (?). "A" looks good because it appears to be paralell ("a pay-as-you-go approach").

Upon reading the actual sentence and understanding your choices, you can see that A is incorrect. You must compare X (a funded pension system) with another type of system, not an approach (as explained by bimmerhype above). Therefore, Social Security (or answer E) is the best choice.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [2]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Clearly in Social Security both S are capital, it means SS is a system or basically a NOUN.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Kudos
pawan82 wrote:
Unlike a funded pension system, in which contributions are invested to pay future beneficiaries, a pay-as-you-go approach is the foundation of Social Security.
(D) Social Security's approach is pay-as-you-go

You're comparing pension system to Social Security, not to an approach or a foundation. That's why E is the only one that works.

Even if you do not know that Social Security is an actual system/program, notice that it doesn't say "social security" but "Social Security", which indicates that it's the title of something. And that comparison makes much more sense than to cpmpare a pension system to an approach or a foundation of something.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Only E reveals a proper comparison between a funded pension system, a name and Social Security another name.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
pawan82 wrote:

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 64
Page: 663

Hi! In this question I though approach and a system are like terms And can be compared. But obviously I was wrong. I didn't know that social security is a system. Now many students would not know this thing. So how can we tackle such questions, where knowledge is tested? AndrewN GMATNinja
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
pawan82 wrote:

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 64
Page: 663

Hi! In this question I though approach and a system are like terms And can be compared. But obviously I was wrong. I didn't know that social security is a system. Now many students would not know this thing. So how can we tackle such questions, where knowledge is tested? AndrewN GMATNinja

Hello, pk6969. Although an approach can be synonymous with a method or a system of doing something, we can rule out that possibility in the sentence at hand because of the adjective pension that defines the type of system in the sentence. That is, since a pension method is nonsensical, similar to saying a retirement method, we need to interpret the noun system in a different way, more akin to a program. Of course, Social Security could be thought of as another such program, making the comparison in (E) fitting.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
pawan82 wrote:

Concepts tested here: Comparisons

• Comparisons must only be made between similar things.

A: Trap.
1/ This answer choice incorrectly compares "a funded pension system" to "a pay-as-you-go approach"; remember, comparisons must only be made between similar things.

B:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly compares "a funded pension system" to "the foundation of Social Security"; remember, comparisons must only be made between similar things.

C:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly compares "a funded pension system" to "the approach of Social Security"; remember, comparisons must only be made between similar things.

D:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly compares "a funded pension system" to "Social Security's approach"; remember, comparisons must only be made between similar things.

E: Correct.
1/ This answer choice correctly compares "a funded pension system" to "Social Security"; remember, comparisons must only be made between similar things.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts