Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
sujith wrote:
Essay 2 is a pain.

Outside USA? dont worry ..try to call students/alumni

cheers
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ok I'm curious. What's essay 2
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Very few schools explicitly ask for " Why XYZ school "..Stern is one among them..

Essay 2: Fit with Stern
The NYU Stern community is one of our strongest assets. Please answer the following questions about community:
(500 word maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font)
(a) What is your personal experience with the Stern community? What actions have you taken to learn more about us?
(b) How would you contribute to our community as a student?
(c) How will you benefit personally and professionally from the Stern community?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Very few schools explicitly ask for " Why XYZ school "..Stern is one among them..

The NYU Stern community is one of our strongest assets. Please answer the following questions about community:
(a) What is your personal experience with the Stern community? What actions have you taken to learn more about us?
(c) How will you benefit personally and professionally from the Stern community?

Well, every school asks this but Stern is the only one that comes out and says it so clearly. Thats a rough question because everyone will answer the same thing. I'd go above and beyond here and find a professor in my field and reach out to him, that'll put you in the "ok its something more than a class visit" category.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thats what i mean, Stern Explicitly asks for Why section...

Does any one had success in reaching out to professors? if so what did u focus on the email..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:

Does any one had success in reaching out to professors? if so what did u focus on the email..

It's hard. I failed in both my attempts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
my decision to apply really did come down to a class visit and discussions with students and alums. The trick is trying to sound sincere.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes... I am interested in applying to Stern but very freaked out by this essay...!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am in the same situation

I asked my recommenders 4 weeks back, can't really shout at them also

just call them and ask for a friendly reminder.

I am seriously thinkign of changing my recommenders

Tey are blockign all my applications submits
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:

hey Oz...

I actually tried contacting profs in all my desired schools and this is wat i got..

MIT : contacted a top prof in operations sometime back in august.. no response..( that's MIT for you.. )

Carnegie: contacted two profs in supply chain and operations.. apparently they routed my mails to the adcom and one of the ladies on the adcom replied on my queries.. :-D

Mccombs,Krannert,Fisher: Contacted profs and got replies within 2 days.. nice responses, infact Mccombs prof was actually more encouraging as he straightaway said that their program would be a very good fit for my goals..

Well, start with a brief of your profile.. then tell what you want to hear from them.. for me, I knew all these schools were strong in operations. so asked them how easy it wud be for me to make a career switch with their courses especially with my limited work exp and some questions dealing with specific courses..

I guess the faculty in the higher ranked schools will take time to reply or will not respond.. also depends on how you evoke interest in them

Whether they are contacted or not, show that these profs have interested you and that you are waiting to take courses from these guys.. :-D..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah... I have some recommenders who are super responsive and other who are not. I am scared one is not going to come thru in time for Tuck R1. And this guy continually tells me how great a rec he is gonna write...

Dude.. Just do it!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
*jokingly* tell him that having a great reco is great, but it needs to be submitted on time for its greatness to be greatly appreciated.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:

This is a tough one Ozzie. I guess the challenge is clearly to show to them that you are interested in Stern for what it is, and not as a backup. Since it asks for personal experinece with Stern, either a school visit or extensive interaction with alumni/student are a must to create a positive impression. for (b) you probably need to explain more about clubs, etc that you will take leadership roles in. (c) should be easy, what you will gain....

..hey all the best for Stern. Btw, did you ever visit Yale in a weekday after your weekend visit?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatmba wrote:
This is a tough one Ozzie. I guess the challenge is clearly to show to them that you are interested in Stern for what it is, and not as a backup. Since it asks for personal experinece with Stern, either a school visit or extensive interaction with alumni/student are a must to create a positive impression. for (b) you probably need to explain more about clubs, etc that you will take leadership roles in. (c) should be easy, what you will gain....

..hey all the best for Stern. Btw, did you ever visit Yale in a weekday after your weekend visit?

Thanks gmatmba, Na man..just busy with Stern stuff and planning for Yale class visit in Dec

How did ur class visist go ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
gmatmba wrote:

Thanks gmatmba, Na man..just busy with Stern stuff and planning for Yale class visit in Dec

How did ur class visist go ?

No i didn't yet, let me know when you go and maybe I could join you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Ozmba2006,

I'm with you too! I have not started the application yet but my recommendations are in. I could easily write 3 essays in 10 days but Stern is tricky because
A) I feel like i have to visit (for essay #2) and I don't know if I'll be able to get off work by R1 deadline. I did go to NYU infosession they had in my city so that may be my substitute (though a weak one) for a visit.

B)Essay #3 - I wonder if writing an essay will be seen as an easy way out? what do you guys think? How many of you are writing an essay as opposed to something more creative?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
B)Essay #3 - I wonder if writing an essay will be seen as an easy way out? what do you guys think? How many of you are writing an essay as opposed to something more creative?

Good to see stern applicants here..Staying close to NYC, If i can't send any material for Essay 3 may not look good....

Met a Student Ambassador who submitted a building model ( Her dad is an architect ..) , another submitted a book written by him..etc etc..

so still pondering on what to do ...
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7