Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Some probably would hate the structure of UNC... but I love it. I really want to be in securities analysis / investment management and I think the structure and discipline would be great.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't know anything about the UNC program, but their grading structure, as described, is not that different from many other top schools.

The visits part is different though. I remember reading an interview with the Wharton director of admissions, and he was clearly against any factors that might be influenced largely by money. For example, visits were not used as an indication of interest because rich folks obviously can visit lots of schools without thinking about it, while it might be a burden for poor folks to visit even a single school. I believe this is a fair attitude, but then again, Wharton probably doesn't need to worry about application volume and yield as much as UNC.

Schools that are traditionally used as back-ups are particularly sensitive to personal visits (NYU, Berkeley, Darden and even Kellogg) and well-defined interest in their programs.

(Note, I'm just generalizing with rich/poor. It's a burden for average folks to take time off work and spend money flying around to visit as well).
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm poor... its ok... from a very disadvantaged background socio-economically...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
WBF wrote:
UNC seems a little bit different from other schools in ways like this. it seems as if they put more emphasis on the interview/school visit than other schools do. also, they don't have "grades" in their MBA program either. most of the class gets a "pass" and the top 10% or so of each class gets a "pass high", and the rare students that perform poorly gets a "pass low".

what other schools are you applying to?

I dont think they put any more emphasis on this than anyone else, they just come clean about it. Any school - I don't care which - is going to look favorably on a campus visit.

It does a couple of things

1) It shows you are truly interested (expense,time)
2) It lends credence to any claims you make about your knowledge of why the school is right for you.
3) It gives an unreal amount of stuff to use in your essays.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with the Wharton guy... it is classist
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
Some probably would hate the structure of UNC...

Mark, could you please explain what do u mean by this statement ..

Can you do justice for 7 applications in R2?

Good Luck
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hopefully... I can be a machine if I have to be. I'm feeling like I gotta spread myself out to increase my chances of not getting dinged everywhere...

What did I mean by some would hate the structure?

There curriculum seems to have alot of requirements. Others like Tuck don't seem to have too many requirements. If you are someone who doesn't like structure I wouldn't think UNC would be for you.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]