Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I also think it really depends on where you'd like to apply. Like nupurgupt said, a lot of people on this board seem to be applying to elite schools, but I do understand your frustration at seeing so many, "I studied for a month and just scored a 750" posts. I am planning to apply to the Fisher College of Business at The Ohio State University for the PTMBA, and my goal is 660. That'll put me right above their average GMAT score. I just took my first GMATPrep yesterday, and got a 600, which was encouraging for me because I thought thought that I would get a much lower score!

So, congrats on your 660 and feel proud!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think it is very subjective thing. The 1st step in determining if your score is sufficient is to look at the average score of your target schools. If your target schools have an average of 600, then 660 is of course sufficient. However, if your target schools are in the top 10, it probably is a disadvantage to have a 650 or so.

Again, even if you have a score which is above the mean score of a target school, it may not be good enough if you belong to a particularly competitive applicant pool. In my case, I belong to the Indian IT pool and my GMAT score of 740, good by most standards, would probably be considered by schools in the top 10 as an average score and may even be a disadvantage for me.

But, if you have an otherwise stellar profile with good career progression, unusual experiences and impactful extra-curricular activities and if you pen introspective essays, then the GMAT score may not be relevant if it is below the mean score by even 20 or 30 points.

Dont be swayed by people who say that your score is more than sufficient. It may be sufficient for one applicant pool, but not sufficient for another. The converse, of course, is also true.

Bottom line, research your schools and evaluate your profile and applicant pool before concluding if your score is good enough.

Originally posted by ncp on 04 Apr 2007, 11:41.
Last edited by ncp on 10 Apr 2007, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 930 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Remember guys that GMAT is not what you try to achieve, unless you wanna use it to get some scholarship, or some future MC wants to see your GMAT score. Once it is enough for your school, it is good, regardless of the raw score, because it can serve your purpose. So 660 is good? Yes if it is for you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
tennis ball makes a great point. don't compare yourself to people not shooting for the same schools or tiers that you're shooting for. on the other hand, he's shooting for an 810, so i guess he doesn't practice what he preaches!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
yeah you definitely have time to bring it up to 700, if you work at it, you'll be fine
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
660 is a good score not a bad score. Dont get dishearted by seeing so many 700+ on this forum. See the class profile of any business school and you will find 700+ and 600+ scorers. So 660 by no means is a bad score. I hope it helps

Javed.

Cheers!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts